Author Topic: Brass bead on carbine sight  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
Brass bead on carbine sight
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »
I know there are several vendors who sell excellent quality replacement barrel band front sights with beads, but they do tend to be pricey, and I had 3 carbines that needed beads, so I did it myself.  The beads were cut from inexpensive 1/8" brass welding rod.  The first photo is my .357 carbine.  The bead is JB-welded to the top front of the sight.  This works very well at average CAS distances.  So I did the same on my 44-40 and 45LC (16" trapper) sights, but both of those shot high, like 9" or so at 25 yards (which was to be expected since they shot high without the beads as well).  Since the rear ladder sight is not elevation adjustable, the front sight needed to be taller.  So I cut a longer piece of the welding rod to JB-weld to the top of the sight, and now those carbines shoot to POA.  The beads really only needed to be filed flat on the bottom but I filed the sides flat as well.  The hardest part of these jobs was getting the bead to balance in place on the sight while the JB-weld hardened.  Someone with more machinist skills could certainly do a more elegant job, but these were simple, cheap, and do the job.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Brass bead on carbine sight
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Abilene
I love the brass bead . They are quick to pick up . I like my rifle to shoot to POA . Good job .

Offline Capt. Augustus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
Good to see ol JB will hold the brass bead.  Several years ago I did a couple of sights with similar beads. What I did was file a notch on the top of the sight and silver soldered the bead on. The notch gave a little more surface for the bead to stick onto.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:11:17 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com