Author Topic: making a gunbelt  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
making a gunbelt
« on: February 10, 2006, 10:09:07 AM »
I am making my first gunbelt. i am using 8-9 oz leather. would you line it? One more question, I know that one style of belt is called a ranger. what is the other one called? Which style would you reckonmend? And where can i get some buckles?

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: making a gunbelt
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:27:33 AM »
I never line my belts, although it makes a more substantial and certainly nicer finished product. As to style, that is more personal preference. I make a simple belt with the ends narrowed slightly so the buckle is almost the same width as the belt. This photo shows the buckle end. The billet end is narrowed the same.

Here's a link to the Tandy buckle section. They have quite a selection, although the don't have the old-style clip-corner buckles which I prefer for my gunbelts. the place where I used to get them doesn't carry them any more but a search online may find another supplier for them.

http://www.gandrup.com/photos/Holster1.JPG

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 12:39:03 PM »
Here is a picture of a ranger style belt.

I also do not line my gun belts.  I find the belt is more than heavy and stiff enough with out lining.  If I was going to line a belt I would go with a lighter weight leather.

My current gun belt project is a money belt style made of light weight leather.  This belt easily conforms to my waist and does not cut into my hips.  I'll be wearing it to my first match this weekend weather permitting.

Good luck with your belt and enjoy.  It's fun making your own gear.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:01:35 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 08:15:26 PM »
There are actually several other common western styles, the more modern buskadero, the forager and the traditional western tapered style (shown by the Marshall) which at least a couple of makers have called the frontier style????  Though I'm not sure of that name, the style does seem to predate the others listed by a fair number of years.  I like the look with early style guns and holsters (Slim Jims particularly) but find the narrow hook up to be less rigid in use than I like for myself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com