Author Topic: What Single Action to buy ?  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 268
What Single Action to buy ?
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:07:12 AM »
Recently, I went with my son to sight in his deer rifle and muzzle loader before deer season.  Last time I fired a rifle was in the Army during the early sixties. I enjoyed myself and then bought an 1851 Navy Colt by Traditions and a Heritage 22 Mag Rough-Rider (for inside shooting).

I now want to get bigger bore single action pistol. I am interested in older looking firearms and was thinking of the following:
Cimmaron Open top conversion, Cimmaron Model-P, Uberti Catleman or Heritage 45 Colt. Thinking of a 7-1/2" long barrel and a 45 Colt cartridge.
Possibly nickel or stainless, most likely I will get the case hardened finish.

On another subject, can one attend the Cowboy Action natches as a spectator?

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Saffran AKA Vinny

PS:  I forgot to mention that I would use the pistol for plinking and possibly Cowboy Action shooting down the road
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What Single Action to buy ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:12:48 AM »
First off Vinny, most CAS clubs welcome visitors and spectators.
Take a look at www.sassnet.com then affiliated clubs to find a club near you.

Now.... what exactly are you looking to do with your single action?
Gonna plink?Shoot CAS? Carry gun for hunting?

It makes a difference.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
Vinny, you named some good firearms in your post, but what Tensleep said is true. It does make a difference in what you want the single action to be used for. Let us know and we can better advise you.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:01:56 AM »

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:10:03 PM »
And after you get to that local match look around.  Chances are that you will see a little of everything.

Let your intentions be known and I bet during lunch and after the match they will let you shoot what ever you are interested in.

That's the best way to check out everything before you start paying hard earned dollars on something you might not really be happy with.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 07:32:33 PM »
All that you mentioned are fine shooters. If your looking for something that will have you stand out in the crowd Id give the nod to the open tops. If your going to shoot competively you might give Rugar a closer look, Not so old a look but as tough as they come. You will hear it over and over how friendly the folks are at the shoots but it doesnt really sink in till you go. One of the things about gun shops is most have no way to test drive there guns before you buy, but at a shoot you may get that rare chance . Good luck DR>
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 07:12:15 AM »
The pards have given you sage advise, go to a match, look around, talk to the shooters! Some of them will offer to let you try their guns...count on it! :)

And if you should decide you really like the Colt model P type revolvers come back here and get in touch with Marshal Halloway, the Pard who runs this board! He can sell ya Charles Daley SAAs that are as close as you can get to a real Colt, except fer the markings, and they are simply the finest reproduction you can buy! The price is right too! ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 04:08:07 PM »
Well as far as which one to buy..well you ask 6 different SASS shooters,you will get six different answers..But you need to keep in mind, that if you shoot SASS, you are going to need two revolvers....

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 08:06:31 PM »
Well as far as which one to buy..well you ask 6 different SASS shooters,you will get six different answers..But you need to keep in mind, that if you shoot SASS, you are going to need two revolvers....

Tarheel, you beat me to the punch on this statement.   Just go to a match enjoy as a spectator and there will always be at least one shooter there that will as "Aren't you shooting?" and offer to arrange guns for you to use.  As far as choosing which gun,,,,just handle as many different ones as tweaks your fancy, there is always someone with a pistol that you would like to try and most cases they will be glad to let you fire off a few rounds during lunch break or after the shoot.  All this will help you to find the guns for you.  Remeber that is "guns"  two minimum..
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com