Author Topic: Should I Keep It?  (Read 9106 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 640
Should I Keep It?
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:24:26 PM »
Well, gents, I found a Henry rifle for sale through a local website.  The seller was asking $850 for an unfired rifle in 44-40.  The gun was made in 1992.  It all looked and sounded great, but the seller lived in another state, several hours drive away.  Since he was out of state, I had to have the gun shipped to a local dealer.  Since the gun was several hours away, I didn't drive down to look at it before buying it.

The seller did not misrepresent the gun--it is exactly as described, but I just didn't realize it was in the white.  In the lighting of the photos it looked blued and I didn't even think to ask.  I was looking for a more traditional rifle, but this one does look nice.  I can't decide.  I could probably sell the gun and get my money back (and maybe a bit more), then I'd be back in the market for a Henry.  OR, I could just keep it.  Part of me thinks it looks kind of cool, but I was looking for standard rifle...

I cant decide.  What do you all think?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Should I Keep It?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
Why not just take it to your local gunsmith and have it blued?
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »
Well, gents, I found a Henry rifle for sale through a local website.  The seller was asking $850 for an unfired rifle in 44-40.  The gun was made in 1992.  It all looked and sounded great, but the seller lived in another state, several hours drive away.  Since he was out of state, I had to have the gun shipped to a local dealer.  Since the gun was several hours away, I didn't drive down to look at it before buying it.

The seller did not misrepresent the gun--it is exactly as described, but I just didn't realize it was in the white.  In the lighting of the photos it looked blued and I didn't even think to ask.  I was looking for a more traditional rifle, but this one does look nice.  I can't decide.  I could probably sell the gun and get my money back (and maybe a bit more), then I'd be back in the market for a Henry.  OR, I could just keep it.  Part of me thinks it looks kind of cool, but I was looking for standard rifle...

I cant decide.  What do you all think?

CC Griff

Keep it, it's beautiful
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:41:04 AM »

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 01:25:24 AM »
Give it some use and it will get its own patina.
A friend had one that he had browned the barrel, that one looked real good.
Keep it and give it plenty of the Holy Black.
Buffalochip

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
you already know what I've been say'n'  :) and the pards here concur....

enjoy it you did well 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:58 AM »
I agree with the others, I would keep it and shoot black powder in it and just keep it wiped down good. Perfect caliber for it and pretty soon it will be looking good.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
Why not have it engraved and then blue the barrel? Heck, I saw a Henry at the Colorado Gun Collectors annual show, without any engraving. All they wanted was $20,750. One with engraving was asking $35,000.  ::) I passed. First place, both of these guns weren't shootable... .44 Henry rimfire ammo being somewhat scarce. Second, I already have one that shoots .44-40 (Navy Arms from about 20+ years ago.)  ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »
OK, boys.  You've convinced me.  I'm keeping this rifle.  For now I'll let it age.  I can always choose to have it blued later.  Hopefully I can keep the rust at bay in my rather damp climate.

The traditionalist in me felt a little better when I ran across a picture in R.L. Wilson's The Peacemakers.  On p. 246, there is a photo of an original Henry that was a presentation from Wells, Fargo to a lawman for killing three robbers and recovering stolen money.  The rifle is in excellent condition and appears to also be in the white.  They may be rare, but I'll just tell myself that this was a presentation piece.

Thanks for the input; any more comments are always appreciated!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 08:35:03 AM »
I really thought it out.  Send It To Me.  ;D
One of us will be really happy :D

Coffinmaker

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
I was waiting for that reply!  ;D

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
Nah!  Send me that old tomato stake and I'll use it for you!
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 06:58:12 AM »
OK, boys.  You've convinced me.  I'm keeping this rifle.  For now I'll let it age.  I can always choose to have it blued later.  Hopefully I can keep the rust at bay in my rather damp climate.

The traditionalist in me felt a little better when I ran across a picture in R.L. Wilson's The Peacemakers.  On p. 246, there is a photo of an original Henry that was a presentation from Wells, Fargo to a lawman for killing three robbers and recovering stolen money.  The rifle is in excellent condition and appears to also be in the white.  They may be rare, but I'll just tell myself that this was a presentation piece.

Thanks for the input; any more comments are always appreciated!

CC Griff

There is another option, add another to it ... can't have two many Henry's

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
You're absolutely right!  I can envision another Henry or so to balance things out.

I’m sure that this doesn’t happen to anyone else, but each time I save up enough money for a new gun (it takes me a while), I think, “This will be it.  After this one, I’ll be satisfied.”  That has gone through my head… well, a bunch of times.  Right now I’m looking at my 1873 rifle and my Henry and thinking that an 1866 might complete the grouping…  One sold recently on GunBroker for what looked like a great price, but my account is currently depleted.  Of course I have an 1886 and a couple 1894s, so I might need an 1876 and a 1892 to really complete the group.  Wait, 1895s are pretty cool too…  (sigh).

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 01:07:27 PM »
I bought my 1st. Henry in 1980 ..sold it in 88 ( Needed to pay off the Stork )
 I was Henry-less till 1999 when my wife surprised me with its replacement ( a Military model ).  I made a trade and acquired an Iron Frame in 07 ...bought back the 1st. one from my original purchaser in 08 ( he said he never shot it )
Then acquired an HO11 from HRA in 2013.

So I suppose 4 may be the charm, they join my 73 , but unless a 66  literally falls in to my grasp.. I doubt I'll get one ...but one never knows  :-\

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 06:12:01 AM »
 ;D Hey, Griff, ya' just got to keep at it. Took me lotsa years and too much dinero, but I've finally got one of each of the lever actions (ok, maybe more than one of some), from a pair of Henrys to an 1895. Some are original, some are replicas, but I've finally got them. So, don't give up lookin' and if'n you happen to get multiples of a couple along the way, don't sweat it. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com