Author Topic: SASS training DVDs  (Read 3171 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SASS training DVDs
« on: April 29, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »
Hi pards,

I'm still new to SASS and so want to improve my game. What training DVD do you recommend? I know the likes of Longhunt has a DVD and have watched his YouTube video which are very helpful.

Do you recommend LongHunts video? Who else would you recommend?

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: SASS training DVDs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
You mean Long Hunter.  Evil Roy also has an excellent set of DVDs.

Offline Blackey Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »
 Haven't seen the Long Hunter video yet so I can't speak on it.  Evil Roy's DVDs while somewhat dated, still contain great info on shooting and equipment. If I was to only get one it would be the transitions one.  The others deal with specfic firearm types ie SA revolvers, lever action rifles, and pump/SxS shotguns.  If you need specfic training on these firearms then get those, the revolver has a really good draw technique and how to swap a revolver from weal hand to strong hand efficiently.  The whole game od action shooting weather cowboy or modern is economy of movement.  Smooth is fast type of thing.  If you don't have a timer to train with you will not be able which technique is faster as most are only split seconds faster.  The rifle and shotgun go in to how tho work the actions and hold them, stage them that type of stuff, the rifle except for not regrouping the rifle with the trigger hand is fairly straight forward from what I recall, the shotgun goes into loading them on the clock both types iirc it didn't cover the 87.  The transitions DVD goes into the real time saving movements when going from one firearm to the next.  That's where the split seconds are saved.  I hit plateaus when I started.  I hit one when I started practicing regularly, then I worked on the revolvers and knocked a few more seconds off my times, next I worked on shooting the rifle and saved a couple more seconds, next I tried several techniques with the SxS.  I found what worked best for me timewise.  Next I stared working on my transitions by then the guns were second nature missing a shot now and then but usually my stages were clean.  Because of the work I did on transitions I was able to break into the sub 40 sec stage times then I had an accident didn't shoot for two years and now I'm working on shooting again but my physical movement is hindered.  At EOT I worked on shooting clean until I had a rifle jam on the last day.  My times were not to far off from my times prior to the accident.  And got better each day.  I averaged my raw times to check on it.  I used to keep a log of my times when I started then I dropped it because what I needed to know was what my average time was because the stages vary.  Some oare stand and deliver and others have movement between each type of gun if not each gun.  That movement adds time but it adds time to everyone.  It's the amount of time that varies.  Revolver times are what they are, some can empty them using two hands in under 5 seconds combined but a duelist can't hope to empty one in that amount of time.  The rifle can only be ran so fast before live rounds are ejected  the SxS is probably the fastest of the shotguns that's why so many are using them, a 97 can be fast but it's error prone weather it is errors in feeding it or it breaking from the abuse it takes.  So once you hit the plateaus of the actual shooting the movement between guns or transitions is the only place to save time.  Those with young quick reflexes can maneuver a stage in sub 20 seconds while the experienced shooter that are on top of their game does the same stage in the low 20s and the regular Joe is lucky to hit the low 30s.
SASS, NRA, NMSA
NRA  RSO
SASS RO II
Gaming Gunfighter in Training

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:36:01 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com