Author Topic: Tool  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tool
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »
I know some of you share my obsession with working on my guns.  A new gun gets fired the day I own it and then torn down to the smallest part.  I correct burrs and rough spots on the initial tear down and then do other stuff as the need, urge or inspiration strikes.

One of the difficulties is finding quality tools that don't require a bank loan to acquire.

I have been wishing for a high quality fine cut file with safe edges for a while.  A trip to the hardware store to buy a new chain saw chain produced such a file. 6" long, 1/2" wide, safe on both edges. A perfect file for working on the face of an 1860 hammer. Where? It has the name STIHL on the file. It's purpose is to adjust the rakers on the chain. Swiss made and a lofty price tag of $4.

I'll take a couple of thousands off of the face of one of my match guns this afternoon.

A catch up. I drilled the face of the hammers on my match guns, inserted a force fit brass rod soaked in threadloc into the holes and tapped it in place. This is to replace the JB Weld fix on the hammer slots. My hammer slots are worn to the point that the JB Weld would no longer hold more than a match or two. So far looks like a good fix. Getting the bit started straight in the hardened face was an exercise in patience.

I also am getting along well with my fake Ballistol.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tool
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:19:32 PM »
" inserted a force fit brass rod soaked in threadloc into the holes and tapped it in place. This is to replace the JB Weld fix on the hammer slots"

Nuthin' like improving on your own original idea! I think Apple is copying your style.   ;)
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com