Author Topic: Looking for a long range gun.  (Read 19213 times)

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: Looking for a long range gun.
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »
Roosterman;  You were jes stringin us along!  You had this beauty in mind from the start!
Nope, honest. I was doing a whole lot of researching as well as soul searching when I stumbled onto this beautiful gun. I went on a wild selling spree and came up with the cash and bought it. I figured it was a hell of a deal.  I'm already think about another as in my research I found more than a couple good deals on American made guns. ;)
 Heading over to Ackley Iowa  in a week to pester those good folks about all the ins and outs of the game. If I have the gun by then I'll probably drag it along. ;D
I'd like to thank all the folks who brought me to the point of making the jump. Many thanks guys!
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »
Got the bad boy today....man what a gun! ;D
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Dusty Ed

• Dusty Ed #30639 Regulator
  • Very Active Citizen
    • Mainville Sportsman Club
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2008, 07:00:44 AM »
Howdy Pards
Well here is my take on it.
Pedersoli Rifles will shoot with best of them.
I keep hearing that there sights aren't the best .
They four or five or six different types, styles and prices.
I have had 5 or 6 different Pedersoli sights in the past 12 years.
The first cost about $45.00 I was having a RB rebarreled by Ron Snover he said they wouldn't make for silhoettes.
So I bought another one that is still on that rifle,that is marked  2 1/2 moa on the main staff very difficult to see and the elevation
screw has about 3/4 turn of play,but this has never pentalized me in the shiloette game having to look at each setting.
Then I bought another one, the same deal for my Pedersoli Sharps , I think they Both cost me $130.00 each from Cabelas.
Then Pedersoli came out with the soule sight, that is an excellent sight,maybe 1/4 turn play in the elevation screw,but like
I said I like to see where my settings are.this 45-70 I have better than 8000 rounds through it.I paid $180.00 for this sight from Cherry's
Then a couple of years ago I bought a 50/90 Big Bore Pedersoli From Cimmaron and that came with A soule sight.
I have shot Homer at 1000yds with both of these guns It is strange but both of these rifle were set at 175 moa .
The weekend before last I won Buffalo Rifle Shooting Match at North Mountain CAS PA.STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH SIGHTS OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE A LITTLE PLAY IN THE ELEVATION SCREW
DUSTY ED
SASS REGULATOR

Then I bought a Pedersoli Sharps Big Bore 50-90

Dusty Ed

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:12:47 PM »

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2008, 09:13:04 AM »
I got all my bases covered now, I bought a Pedersolly sharps long range model in 45-70 at an auction. Now all I need is the time to shoot. :P
www.fowlingguns.com

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
I'm having MVA sights MR sights installed on my Pedersoli .45/70. After I get the rifle back, take it to the range and check it out and if I remember I'll post the results .
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
  While the Italian guns are a tiny bit cheaper than the guns made in america by american craftsmen trying to get by, they DONOT hold resale value as well as the american built guns, and that becomes important should you decide to quit the game or spend the money for a better/different gun somewhere down the road.
 When you start talking long range guns, mediocre won't get it at 500 yds, and forget about any scores at 800 and beyond. Good barrels, coupled with smooth actions, and good sights are a must , unless you have no intentions of having to fight for last place.

In some ways I agree with you, I would love one of Kirk's rifles. I'm half way there, I picked of a bull barrel in .50 last time I was there but it's going on an Italian action. Of course with a Shiloh you definitely have pride of ownership and bragging rights but don't expect it to make you a better shot.

And this where I disagree with you. You'll find no difference in shooting ability between a Shiloh/C Sharps and a Pedersoli. Pedersoli barrels are excellent. It's the nut behind the butt that makes the difference! The current Long Range World Champion, Colin Buck, won the Long Range aggregate at the 2006 World Championships in South Africa with a Pedersoli Long Range in 45/70. Proper sights though, Lee Shaver's soule. Plus many hours load development.......

Incidentally, as far as calibre is concerned, most of us over here (the UK) are using .40's now for Long Range. With the right bullet and load it will equal, and in some cases, out perform the .45. In fact Colin has just had a Shiloh 45 x 2.6 rebarreled to 40/70ss and that really shoots at 1000 yards!

Cheers
Clive

Offline MUD MARINE

• Brevet Captain, Marine Commander Dept of the Platte
  • Very Active Citizen
  • DeptPlatte, Brevet Capt, USMC, SASS, CFDA, BPCR
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
My C. Sharps 1874 "Old Reliables" are in .45-70 Government and .50-140 Sharps Straight (3-1/4"). The .45-70 has MVA sights, long range real Soule with Hadley eye cups. and MVA globe front sight. The .50-140 boasts C. Sharps Long Range tang sights with globe front sight and spirit levels.

Both rifles shoot one heck of a lot better than I do!  :-)

I had an unsettling experience recently. Somehow, the front sight FELL OFF of my .50-140 seconds before a Long Range buffalo match. "Luckily", there was a heavy cross wind so I was able to finally get on target.

I sure did not win that match!   :-)

I have found that the Hadley eye cups have allowed this White Buffalo to continue to shoot well after my eyesight has diminished a tad!  :-)
:-)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2008, 01:06:55 PM »
 Clive yes the Italian guns can be made to shoot. Some of them take alot of horsing around to get the bullet sized right, and chambers up to an extra .2 long arent' uncommon. Just have to make take some time to make em work.

Nope buying a Big Timber rifle won't make you a better shot.

I've seen some 38-55's out shoot 45's at 1000 even in heavy winds, but there again, it's more the skill of the trigger yanker.

My point is was and always will be that at the current exchange rate, the Italian guns are a poor buy when compared to the price of the Big Timber , and other (CPA,Winchester, etal). Just take a minute and do some price comparisons, and it'll soon be quite obvious that getting maybe as many as 2 Italian guns for the price of 1 USA built rifle are gone gone gone. Most of the time if you look reall close , by the time you get it all in and all done at todays dollar, the USA builts will be cheaper in some instances, and the resale value of the USA built guns will always be far and above any of the Italian builts.
 Of course that applies mostly to those of us here in the USA, what things are for you folks off shore I have no idea.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »
Clive yes the Italian guns can be made to shoot. Some of them take alot of horsing around to get the bullet sized right, and chambers up to an extra .2 long arent' uncommon. Just have to make take some time to make em work.

No more horsing around than any other in my experience. Slugging the barrel and a quick cerosafe should be done on all BPCRs in my opinion. I agree with the slightly longer chamber. That's why it's always best to leave one grease groove exposed when shooting a Pedersoli

I've seen some 38-55's out shoot 45's at 1000 even in heavy winds, but there again, it's more the skill of the trigger yanker.

Er, yes and no. I fell lucky on a particular .40 bullet design and with that I can out shoot myself using my .45 using any that I have. I wish I'd had it for the 2006 World Championships. Bullet design is critical, for example a creedsmoor is more accurate that a PGT design. But the PGT requires a lot less work to keep in the black at 1000 yards than the creedsmoor. But yes, if the shooter can't hit a barrel from the inside......

My point is was and always will be that at the current exchange rate, the Italian guns are a poor buy when compared to the price of the Big Timber , and other (CPA,Winchester, etal). Just take a minute and do some price comparisons, and it'll soon be quite obvious that getting maybe as many as 2 Italian guns for the price of 1 USA built rifle are gone gone gone. Most of the time if you look reall close , by the time you get it all in and all done at todays dollar, the USA builts will be cheaper in some instances, and the resale value of the USA built guns will always be far and above any of the Italian builts.
 Of course that applies mostly to those of us here in the USA, what things are for you folks off shore I have no idea.

There's not a great deal of difference in price of either over here. We get shafted by import duty, VAT, delivery charges, you name it. For example, your Swiss powder travels a darn sight further to get to you that to us but because ofthe various taxes we pay our Swiss is £36 a kilo - $36 a pound. And Wano is not much cheaper. How much do you pay?

Cheers
Clive

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »
 Well Clive good here's to wishing you lots of center hits on your score card. ;)
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 06:51:34 AM »
Well Clive good here's to wishing you lots of center hits on your score card. ;)

Can but try  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com