Author Topic: 2011 National Muster  (Read 6573 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
2011 National Muster
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:32:34 PM »
Greetings, Gentlemen!

I am starting a 2011 National Muster thread because I need to ask what the specific dates are ...... 

Also, although it may seem a bit early, I would ask Texas Sarge, or whomever, to forward me an invitation, so I can get working on my BATFE From 6NIA application in due course ......

I kept the title "generic", with the view that maybe this thread could be "stickied" at the top of the Barracks Forum for the time being ..... if someone has the "power" to do that .....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 2011 National Muster
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
I kept the title "generic", with the view that maybe this thread could be "stickied" at the top of the Barracks Forum for the time being ..... if someone has the "power" to do that .....
...So it shall be.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »

Also, although it may seem a bit early, I would ask Texas Sarge, or whomever, to forward me an invitation, so I can get working on my BATFE From 6NIA application in due course ......

Jack,

I think you need to just leave the guns you plan to shoot at the Musters here in the States so you don't have to go through the paperwork hassle each year.

Of course that would mean you wouldn't be able to practice with them....giving the rest of us a better chance at beating you...however slight that chance might be. ;D

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:12:02 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »

Jack,

I think you need to just leave the guns you plan to shoot at the Musters here in the States so you don't have to go through the paperwork hassle each year.

Of course that would mean you wouldn't be able to practice with them....giving the rest of us a better chance at beating you...however slight that chance might be. ;D

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF
::) I'll store them for you...can you leave a year's supply of ammunition with them?  ;D

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »
General Scout:
I'll take your suggestion "under advisement", Sir!   (Pitspitr - I'll thionk about that, too!)    ;)

I do hope that you will both be able to attend this year!

I should have another field uniform to compete in this year, as I am in the process of joining an 1885 Rebellion Regiment of Canadian Artillery gun detachment which has just this year formed up in my area.  The "Number 1" of the crew is a retired RCMP officer (and ex-Artilleryman)  who has been given long-term use of a reduced-scale gun made by a friend of his who passed away a year or so ago.

As it stands now, it is more of a demonstration group than an historically-accurate re-enactment unit, but it promises to be fun, nevertheless.  It will be a month or so before my field uniform is done, so I have been tagging along in my Queen's Own Rifles guise, serving as "infantry support" during appearances.  However, somewhat to my own chagrin,  I have already had some influence on period correctness, having pointed out that the black waistbelts the unit have been using should actually be white.  I promptly inherited the job of making them all white!  The last one was delivered to me last night, and I have to start right in on the conversion today, since there is an appearance scheduled for this coming weekend!

A couple of photos of members of the group:

Here is a photo of an original RCA gun detachment during the 1885 Rebellion -

Charlie (the unit organizer .... Sergeant mounted on the limber in the first photo above) has recently announced that, through his connections with the Canadian artillery, he may possibly be able to secure us the custody .... and use .... of an original 9-pounder Rifled Muzzle Loading gun, such as the unit above has!
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »
Cool!
   So you're going to bring it down here, along with the crew of course, and demonstrate it at a Muster, right?!!!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Charles Isaac

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
That's a sharp looking unit there Rattlesnake!

I don't think I've ever seen that many Snider carbines grouped together before.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 05:06:01 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen that many Snider carbines grouped together before.

Ironically, the Canadian Artillery of the day did not carry carbines!  Rather, they were issued with Snider-Enfield rifles, Canada never having purchased any S-E Artillery Carbines.

However these uniquely Canadian "Cadet Carbines" - made early in the 20th century from full-length 3-band infantry rifles, cut down to the general pattern of the Cavalry Carbine, and then issued to "boy soldier" Cadet Corps units - are actually the most common and least expensive of the Snider-Enfield family up here!  They are very commonly used by NWMP reenactors, in lieu of the much rarer (and considerably more expensive) true Cavalry Carbine .....  The ones this unit currently use are on loan from the reconstruction of Fort Whoop Up in Lethbridge, 100 miles west of here, where the artillery unit demonstrates at least once a month throughout the "warm season" ....

FWIW, here is an image showing both  for comparison -

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
In light of the recent developements in Texas, Lt. Col. Windy City Joe has gratiously offered to host the 2011 Grand Muster Oct. 28-30 at Garnett KS. I'll leave it to him to supply the rest of the details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com