Author Topic: Winchester 97  (Read 5232 times)

Offline Rudi Gunn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 97
« on: March 29, 2005, 11:29:16 AM »
I am not new to CAS, but have been away for quite a while.  Guess you could say I took the slow boat to china, but now I am back!  Used to be known as Lubbock County Desperado, (back in the day's of shooting just one pistol) but have mended my ways and will get back into SASS soon. 

I do have a question about shotguns, especially the Win 97.  as that is all that is left to purchase for shooting.  Have found one here locally for $300.00 maybe alittle less.  The gun has been looked at by a smith and functions well.  Has been reblued at some point, that is obvious, and so all collectable value is lost and is now a shooter.  Question, is this still a good gun to use instead of the sxs that are out now?  What do I need to look for with this gun?  At least it was made in the good ole U.S of A.

Opinions and advise welcome, as I like to spend my money once!

Thanks

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Winchester 97
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 12:07:27 PM »
The 97 is one of the preferred shotguns for CAS around here (California). Most of the competitive shooters here use them, and boy are they fast!

If the 97 in question is in good shape (check by a gunsmith) then  use it. One thing to ask a gunsmith to check is the length of the chamber. A lot of 97's have chambers that are a touch too short for modern plastic shells as the paper shells that were around in those days were shorter when they were shot than the plastic ones we use today. A good gunsmith can lengthen the chamber pretty easily.

300.00 is a decent price for a real Winchester if it is in good shape and smooth.

Now, for my opinion: I personally like to have both a double and a 97 in my cart. If I had to have just one I would probably stick with the double but a lot of people feel just the opposite!

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:18:20 PM »
The 97 is one of the preferred shotguns for CAS around here (California). Most of the competitive shooters here use them, and boy are they fast!

If the 97 in question is in good shape (check by a gunsmith) then  use it. One thing to ask a gunsmith to check is the length of the chamber. A lot of 97's have chambers that are a touch too short for modern plastic shells as the paper shells that were around in those days were shorter when they were shot than the plastic ones we use today. A good gunsmith can lengthen the chamber pretty easily.

300.00 is a decent price for a real Winchester if it is in good shape and smooth.

Now, for my opinion: I personally like to have both a double and a 97 in my cart. If I had to have just one I would probably stick with the double but a lot of people feel just the opposite!

What the Professor said,

$300 is a great deal, buy it now before someone else gets it!

When you get it home check out this web site.http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/irons.html
For tune up information.

Good luck with that! :)
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:47:44 PM »

Offline Rudi Gunn

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:41:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply's, pretty much sums up what my first impression was.  I was not able to get by there today, but will tomorrow.

Rudi Gunn

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 06:07:24 PM »
I am also looking for a 97 Win., thanks for the tip on chambering, is $300  a good price, or could I expect to pay more for one?
Mathew 5.9

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 06:14:10 PM »
Howdy......
When I bought mine...if they were $300.00...I would have bought two !!
DO IT !!!

Good shootin......
Vern... 8)

Offline Micheal Fortune

• Top Active Citizen
    • Micheal Fortune
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 06:56:07 PM »
I am also looking for a 97 Win., thanks for the tip on chambering, is $300  a good price, or could I expect to pay more for one?
What ever the market will bare, beer, bear.......There are several in the local sportings good store for $800 +, you can still find a deal now and again if you are not in a hurry.
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Offline Prof. Bullspit

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »
Every now and then someone will catch a deal on a 97 and get it for $50.00 from an old guy (his widow, ex-wife, grandson, etc.) who bought it new in 1951. Those are getting rare!

I suspect that there are some regional differences in prices of guns so I'll say that here in Southern California you rarely see a 97 for less than $300.00. More often they will be $350 or more if they have had an action job. I paid $450.00 for a "C" model solid frame with an action job and felt good about the price.

But! I'm still looking for a $50.00 97 so if anyone knows of one my name is first on the list please!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com