Author Topic: New to the hobby and have gun/gear question???  (Read 10178 times)

Offline oldironcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to the hobby and have gun/gear question???
« on: December 22, 2005, 11:02:30 AM »
Hello to all, Just had my interest sparked to get into the Single Action Cowboy  style shooting and I am having a tough time making my mind up on what caliber and brand of gun to buy. I am most likely going to buy a Colt SAA. I find that everything I read advertisment wise always compares their product with a Colt, for instance there's grips to make other brand guns "feel like a Colt" folk's offering sight replacement and action jobs to have the Colt feel. So as you can see what my line of thinking is. Why spend $$$$ on a gun that's not a Colt and spend more money into trying to make it something it never will be??? I am confused at this whole strategy. As far as caliber is concerned I am torn between the .44-40 or the 45 Long Colt. Any input would be appreciated. I am on a budget just like most everyone else, but I hate to throw hard earned $$$$ around and wind up having to buy something else later

Offline L.G.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New to the hobby and have gun/gear question???
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 11:14:26 AM »
  The standard answer is for you to go to a match or two and talk with some of the shooters.  You will find them helpful in getting you going.  Most will let you handle their firearms and even after the match or during a break, let you fire off a few shots.  Don't let advertising and the look like a Colt or feel like a Colt thing throw you.  Go to a few gunstores and handle the different piatols that are out there.  You have to start somewhere and build from there.  I started by swapping non CAS firearms for CAS legal firearms, and then bought extras afterwards.  I have a pair of Rugers, and a pair of Navy Arms Schofields, I have an 1892 Hartford and a Taurus Thunderbolt, right now I just have an 1897 pumpgun, but might pick up either an double barrel or one of the 1887 lever action shotguns later.
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 11:18:22 AM »
If you ever intend to reload your own ammunition, the 45lc will be much easier to load than the 44-40 which is a bottleneck cartridge. You will probably have an easier time finding 45lc ammunition at reasonable prices. As to historical aspects, the first caliber for the SAA was .45lc. the 44-40 was the first caliber available to fit both pistol and rifle, a real plus when you're packing your gear to travel on horseback.

I agree on a Colt. You can't really go wrong there. Most of the CAS shooters are shooting clones because even after having them worked over, they are way cheaper than a Colt and at the speeds they are shot, it's better to wear out a less expensive gun than a Colt. With the Colt, you still need to do a little work on them anyway, but you do have the real thing.

Some shooters are going for Remington or Smith & Wesson designs for their pistols because they like the fit or feel better. There are no genuine ones available for them except for a few S&W's that were made a couple years ago. For those types, clones are basically the only option. I shoot the Remingtons myself because they fit my hand better. I still like the Colts, though.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:10:54 AM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »
Another consideration is what powder are you going to use (ie: smokeless or black powder)? If you are going to use black powder, the .44-40 is the way to go because the bottle-necked case seals the chamber better which greatly reduces blowback into the action of a rifle.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline BlaiseNSaddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 02:39:44 PM »
L.G had the right idea.  I did a lot of reading, looked at a few things and then went on my own.

I went .45 Colt because when I went through some of the inherited guns there was a little Winchester 94 trapper.  12 guage because there was a Rossi double hammer. 

I was easy for me to learn to reload.  Now I love BP and BP subs and while the bottlenecks would probably be better the 45s work just fine to me. 

I got some coversion cylinders for the cap and ball pistols that I had on hand.  OK, but after using a Ruger and the ease of the all coil springs and a reputation of being built really tough I went for those.    Now thery are not the cheapest but neither are they the most expensive but they have a good reputation of ruggedness. 

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »
Advice above is correct. If you're thinking BP, the 44-40 is better than .45Colt. Another to think about in the BP vein is the 38-40, another bottleneck cartridge. Only drawback there is the limited availability of rifles chambered for it, and ammo is pricey unless you put together your own. I have braces in .45Colt( first one I put together), .38/.357, and 38-40. The rifle in 38-40 is an original 1889 Marlin, the revolvers are EMF Colt clones with the old style frames. Currently I'm using smokeless in all, but am toying with BP or a sub for the 38-40's down the road.......Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline oldironcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 03:51:01 PM »
Well feller's here it is I should have it in a few days!!!!

Offline Fly Cop Fry

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 06:15:13 PM »
Well feller's here it is I should have it in a few days!!!!

oldironcollector,

Great looking Colt! You say here it is, you do know that you need a pair to play in CAS or your loading on the clock?
What cal. did you decide on?

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 12:25:08 PM »
While Clones don't have the after market value of the Colt, they are still pretty darn nice pistols.  Most folks still have action jobs done to Colts the same as they do to Colt clones.  That said, you can buy two clones and a 92 rifle clone from Navy Arms or EMF for the price of one real Colt and you did say you were on a budget.  If your in NCOWS country, you can shoot in the Working cowboy class which only requires one pistol and one rifle, but even though were a National organization, most posses are mainly centered in Nebraska and Iowa region..... :)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline oldironcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 10:11:51 AM »
Whew! been away for a few days and finally back in the saddle again so to speak! I went with the .45 more or less due to the ease of handloading and some tradition I guess?? As far as two gun competition I am going to shoot the Colt and enjoy it and try to get good with it before actually entering into a competitve shoot, sorta testing the waters.

I hope I did not offend anyone in my postings regarding other guns, I own several Rugers myself and would'nt trade them for anything, but I have always wanted a Colt or two and these guns will hopefully have somewhat of a dual purpose role. One being the CASS and the other being somewhat collectable. I went to a local gun shop and peered over the selections pretty good, Colt, Ruger, Uberti and so on and the shop owner told me that the only gun in the case that he would give me every single penny I paid for it back in 10 years would be the Colt if it were taken care of. Now I have no intentions of selling out my purchase but it did make me feel good hearing that.

So I toyed around with idea, thought about it and procrastaned about it Ya'll know the old dragging your feet. I finally had made my decision to buy his Colt, a little more than I felt it was worth but hey it's Christmas!  So We (me and the family) drive back up to the shop(50 miles) 3 days later to pick it up and guess what???? Every other pistol I looked at still lay in the case, and of course the Colt GONE!!!!!   :'( I had a few nasty words to say to my self >:( , fact remained it was gone!!! So I poked around and called every gunshop within a 100 mile radius. and found only  2 others that were high grade nickle plated guns for a lot more $$$ :-[ than I wanted to spend. So back to the internet and found what I was looking for  ;D and hopefully I will have it in my hands today!!

Sorry to be so long winded but I love to tell a good story, with a happy ending!!! 

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 11:39:03 AM »
I'm happy for ya.  :) Good shooting.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 03:26:44 PM »
I went with the .45 more or less due to the ease of handloading and some tradition I guess?? As far as two gun competition I am going to shoot the Colt and enjoy it and try to get good with it before actually entering into a competitve shoot, sorta testing the waters.

I hope I did not offend anyone in my postings regarding other guns, I own several Rugers myself and would'nt trade them for anything, but I have always wanted a Colt or two and these guns will hopefully have somewhat of a dual purpose role. One being the CASS and the other being somewhat collectable. I went to a local gun shop and peered over the selections pretty good, Colt, Ruger, Uberti and so on and the shop owner told me that the only gun in the case that he would give me every single penny I paid for it back in 10 years would be the Colt if it were taken care of. Now I have no intentions of selling out my purchase but it did make me feel good hearing that.
The long term value is certainly better with a Colt. Good choices, pard. You won't regret it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline oldironcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 04:52:09 PM »
Well got the Colt today and boy howdy what a nice looking pistol  8) Can't wait to try it out!!! One thing kinda irk's me though It had in the box a small white slip about Mass. gun laws, I just can't imagine in my mind what it would have been like, if in 1873 when the US Government handed these pistols out to the Calvary that they had the same white slip and a lock in with them!!!!  :D Funny how times have changed!!!!

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 05:12:08 PM »
Looks like you got a Colt Cowboy..I've heard nice things about them...though of corse the SAA from the Custom Shop are  supposedly better..and the main point here is that you are happy with it!  And that, amigo, is always the bottom line...All of this has to be fun for you after all...

Offline oldironcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 05:16:27 PM »
 Look again!!! IT's not a Cowboy it's a SAA from the custom shop, 4 3/4" BBL Blue over case hardening black rubber grips. 3 rd generation with removable cylinder bushing.

D.

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 05:21:31 PM »
I stand corrected...but you still like it though right? :D

Offline oldironcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »
I love the look and feel, have not got to shoot it yet  :-[ maybe this weekend I can run a few shells through it!!! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com