Author Topic: New guy needs some direction  (Read 7470 times)

Offline California Rocky Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New guy needs some direction
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »
Howdy all!  New guy here and i have a few questions that i could not find answers for using the search function.  By chance I have a 357, 44-40, and a 45 single actions.  I also have a family 1897 takedown shotgun.  Since I have most of the stuff to get started, yes i know i need a costume, leather, etc., all I need is a rifle (and another pistol) and I can start shooting.  Already have a reloader as i used to do uspsa shooting so the caliber "thing" may not be an issue.  But... and this is the big but, which direction should I head caliber wise and once the caliber question is answered which direction should I head for a rifle?  Marlin? Taylor? In know folks dont care for a 94 due to the long stroke.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Billl

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New guy needs some direction
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:06:41 PM »
As far as the "which rifle" question goes, if you get twenty responses to this post, you'll get twenty-five different answers. Firstly, What kind of shooting are you going to do, SASS,  NCOWS, 3 Gun? It makes a difference. The general consensus for SASS is if you want the fastest gun in the west, get a Winchester 1873 and have it short stroked and slicked. Be prepared for a hefty price tag though. If you are on a budget, get a Rossi 1892. Durability? Marlin. Everything else is somewhere in between.

The 1897 is a great shotgun, but they break fairly easily and CAS is very hard on them. One advantage though is that you can use it for Wild Bunch shooting too. If this is a family heirloom, I would get somethng else. Like I said CAS is HARD on the 1897.

The calibers are your choice. The fastest guns in the tournament will be shooting smaller caliber, less recoil, less muzzle flip calibers, .38 Spec. is popular. The traditionalists that will scoff at you (with a wink and a smile) will be shooting 45 L.C and 44/40 and loving it.

Don't worry too much about the costume. The only time that it really matters is when you want to shoot "Traditional Cowboy" or "B Western" The rest of the catagories are pretty loose,especially for new people. Of course the Wild Bunch folks can get a little bit picky sometimes too.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
Thanks Bugs, but now more questions.  I was never one to fit the mold.  When others were shooting 45 or 38 super, I shot 9x19, I just had to shoot a bit more accurately to score the same.  Of the saa's the 44-40 were my first so i was hoping someone would push me a certain direction.  I still need to get the shotgun fixed up a bit for dove season but I give a SxS a look, or  can you or someone recommend a good/usable shotgun.  To be honest Im old and looking to have some fun rather than be truely competitive so maybe I will give a marlin or one of the modern replicas a try.  Should I avoid real wild west guns like an authentic Winchester 73 and my 97?  Actually should i avoid a modern Winchester in a pistol caliber?  Again thanks for the information

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:14 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
You will make fewer costly gun buying mistakes if you go to a few shoots as soon as possible.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=California 

BEFORE you buy!

There will be plenty new friends, lots of advice, and a chance to try a few guns to get a feel for the different types, and; Once you know what you wish to get, it is likely that someone in the club has something you could purchase, or even trade for.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:26 PM »
You will make fewer costly gun buying mistakes if you go to a few shoots as soon as possible.

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=California 

BEFORE you buy!

There will be plenty new friends, lots of advice, and a chance to try a few guns to get a feel for the different types, and; Once you know what you wish to get, it is likely that someone in the club has something you could purchase, or even trade for.

Best advice that you can get right there.  ;)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
Done and done.  Will go to a local match before I spend a dime, promise.  I may be old but never too old to learn from experts.  Actuallty that's I what I did before I started uspsa shooting.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
One of the more popular "vintage shotguns" are Savage/Stevens/Springfield/Fox 311, 1500 models. I say "one" because all of these companies made this shotgun over the years and some pinned different model numbers on them, but they are generaly good ones. It will need some modification, but there are specific step by step instructions on how to do itand it can be done right on your kitchen table. All parts are available from Numrich. You'll find that the older Stevens shotguns are of better quality than the newer ones. Look on Gunbroker for an older one that is ratty on the outside but with a CLEAN BORE. If you are patient and take your time you can pick one up for about $200. It will cost you less than $40 for the spring kit and the refinishing supplies. New replacement stocks are available for a reasonable price and a dremel tool and a bench grinder with a wired wheel and a polishing wheel will fix you up with a shotgun that looks like new with only a little (o.k. a lot) of elbow grease.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I'll secong Bugscuffle on the Stevens?etc doubles. Mine was origionally from Montgomery wards, 511 model. Same as the Stevens.

As for rifle, trying a few at a match is a great idea. While most don't care much for Win 94's in pistol calibers, the '92 win and clones are ok, but tend to operate a bit rougher than the '60 Henry, '66 and '73 clones. If you just wanna have fun, shortstroke kits etc aren't really necessary. I like the fit of the carbine stocks on these better than the crescent but rifles, but others may not agree.I have no experience with modern Marlins.

As for pistols, if you already have three, there's no rule that says they have to be all identical, or even the same caliber.

Offline kliff

• Citizen
  • ... just don't call me Late, for Dinner.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »
I know I'll take a beating here, but I'm old enough to take it. I bought a Rossi 92 for SASS matches, and 45 rounds later, it was on it's way back to Rossi for warranty repairs, with an estimated 6>8 week turn around... this was AFTER it'd already been gone 3 weeks!
Luckily for me, the Henry Big Boy is also SASS legal in the age based classes, and since I had one, it was pressed into service. Also being older(59), and not looking to win, just want to shoot and have fun, the HBB will work out quite nicely.

I also reload, and shoot 45LC, pistols and rifle. Just getting my feet wet with SASS, but thought I'd throw out my $0.02 worth. ;)
kliff, AKA: Cherokee kliff
SASS  94630

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:28:46 PM »
The best "all purpose" rifle is the Winchester 73 (or Uberti clone thereof). 

Reasons:

All the "big guns" in SASS shoot them (highly modified of course).  When the "pros" are all using them, that should tell you something.

Most of my NCOWS pards own at least one of them and usually 1/2 the rifles at a given match are 73's.

They are easy to clean and fix.  Pop the side plate off and you are ready to go.

The Uberti 73 replicas are reliable right out of the box.

Caliber:  that's like asking a man if he prefers blonds, brunettes, or red heads.  Each has it's own merit.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
If you also want to shoot Wild Bunck 38-40 is the minimum caliber as there is a .40 or greater requirement.  If you want to shoot B Western the 92 is the ticket, if you want to shoot classic cowboy Henry (not bigboy) 66 or 73 is required as is a hammered double.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
Go to some local club shoots. Take a box of 12 or 20 ga shotgun shells, Dove loads. The Shooters will let you try all kinds of guns, including different makes, shapes, grips and actions. Then you can make an educated guess as to what you want. I suggest you go to 3 matches before you decide. Several people will likely have guns they want to trade or sale. If you're a club member you'll likely get a better deal. Also take an old felt Cowboy Hat and a thick wide belt to hang a holster on. Yep, you can pickup leather gear too.
I'm betting that you can save yourself hundreds of dollars by not buying before you try.

This is pretty much my one answer fits all response.

Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
CA Rocky Bil,

If you are in True Northern CA, drop me a note and we can get together for some discussion and some hands on.  I am our club's PR hack and have been working with several new shooters on their stuff.  I might be able to point you at a couple other pards down south who may be able to help too.

By the way, 44 WCF is a good cartridge, especially if you want to dabble (or dive into) the Black Powder side of the game.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:49:33 PM »
You asked about the New Winchesters and if you should stay away.  The Miruko (Japanese) Winchesters are good guns.  There is one post above about a Rossi having problems after 56 rounds.  I have two Rossi 92s One is from about 1995, it is sensitive to cartridge length and a little stiff but has had somewhere near 2000 rounds with virtually no problems. 

The other is a 3 year old 92 I bought from Nate Kiowa Jones.  Totally slicked up nice gun no problems. 

I hear the newer rossi 92s are a lot slicker operating than the old ones.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com