Author Topic: Primers for .357 mag cowboy loads  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Johnny Cicero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Primers for .357 mag cowboy loads
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to start reloading and I'm looking through several reloading manuals. The load data that I'm leaning toward is the Hodgdon cowboy data (from their special insert). The problem is that it doesn't list the primer type used for the 357 magnum loads.
Is it assumed that all magnum loads will automatically use magnum primers?
What difference would it make if I used regular small pistol primers in these or other loads? I guess I'm asking how interchangeable the primer types are.

Thanks in advance,
Johnny Cicero

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Primers for .357 mag cowboy loads
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:42:02 AM »
Standard Small Pistol Primers should be all you need. You're likely not using a large charge of slow burning powder which is what Mag Primers are really needed for. If by chance you ever need to load a hot load of a powder like 2400 or H110 then go to a Mag Primer.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Johnny Cicero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
Thanks, Shotgun. As a reloading newbie, I just wanted to get some reassurance. As I gathered, Titegroup should burn fast enough, even the light grain count in the large magnum brass, that the small pistol primers shouldn't have a problem. I just want to avoid going under minimum loads.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:59:03 AM »

Offline N40W111

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »
Yeah, Johnny...Franklin is right.  For most cowpoke shootin' you only need small pistol primers for .357.  This is fast-burning, low velocity shooting...ya don't need mag primers unless you decide to do some huntin' and need the slower magnum burn to "up the punch".

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 06:05:06 PM »
Federals are said to be softer than Winchesters,but WIN are fine. If you start playing around with hammer springs you might encounter problems with light primer strikes. The only primers I'm familiar with are WIN and CCI magnum primers (as that is what I use for Pyrodex loads) The way things are now, go with whatever you can find locally if you don't want to order. Try to stock up cause they aint gonna get cheaper. Stuff will get high real fast but take forever to drop down in price.Its only gonna get worse........... Look at gun prices.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
a suggestion, and it is just my personal opinion. your mileage may vary,  etc...

Unless I am playing with published extremely high pressure loads that specifically call out each and every component... I am talking about loads that seem to leave primer selection up to the user, and the pressures are not so extreme that a primer substitution will kill me....

I always stick in Federal Magnum primers.

Why?

Well, Federals are on the far end of the "easy to ignite" scale. Most of my handguns have had hammer springs messed with and in some of them only Federals will work 100%.

As far as Magnum verses standard... they pretty much cost the same, or very close to the same. If you want a good deal on primers you are talking buying 5000 at a time (minimum). So, I typically stock up on Federal Magnums as they work in most situations. 

For hot handgun loads I do prefer H110. If you want to make a squib load, or a hang fire, or a misfire, stick a regular primer into something with H110 in it. Do a light crimp on top of that just to be sure.  I am kidding, but still serious. H110 will do that.

I load a lot of calibers. I think I have at least 2 dozen die sets down in the basement. I've got a decent selection of primers in my stash, but the bulk of them are small and large pistol and small and large rifle Federal Magnums. From an economic sense limiting the number of kinds of primers saves money.

But, that is just my opinion... listen to lots of poeple and form your own  ;)

Just to be clear, if you are messing with some pushed to the limit loads, do with the loading source says. I prefer to stay away from those loads most of the time anyway. When I start getting up there in pressure I look for a different gun/cartridge to do the job. A top fuel dragster needs an engine rebuild after 4-5 seconds. A Ford pickup is still running strong at a quarter million miles. I like to stay well within the envelope.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »
If a gun won't set off all primers it is broke.  I have a 32 mag Ruger that has one of the slickest action jobs you could ever want.  It will set off a CCI Small rifle primer, I tested it.  I would never accept a custom job that would not set off all primers. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com