Author Topic: Choosing my first gun leather. What do I need to know?  (Read 6600 times)

Offline Sawed-Off

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Choosing my first gun leather. What do I need to know?
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:31 AM »
Pards

As the topic says, it's time I get myself some gun leather. As a first timer, I don't want to spend a bunch of money buying something I think I'll like, only to find out I don't when I start using it. I notice that The Old Trading Post has a bunch of inexpensive rigs, so am leaning toward buying from there.

Here's some stuff about me that might help people to help me.

I'm short, hence my alias. I have a length of pull around 11 1/2". I have a brace of 7 1/2" 1873 Uberti Cattleman. I was thinking about going for a drop holster/Buscadero type rig to give my short arms more room to clear the leather when drawing. I fear high rider styles will have me drawing up to my armpits.  :P

I can't make up my mind if I want two strong sides, or a strong side + cross draw rig. I'd like to try duelist/gunfighter sometime, but without having tried it, I don't know if it's something I'll do in the longer term. From what I've read, a crossdraw rig can be a little faster for the single handed shooter, as you can be reholstering the crossdraw while drawing the strong side. Like a lot of folks, I'm mostly about enjoying the day out and friendly competition while competing with myself. Pulling together all the tiny little speed advantages here and there isn't the most important thing to me, but getting the greatest flexibility out of my equipment is. That has me leaning toward a double strong side rig.

I'm guessing there's not much to know about shotshell belts? A lot of pards seem to have loops for 8 shells (4 pairs). Is it worth looking for more than that? Should I just think about a slide to go over my gun belt, or is a separate belt worth the investment?

All advice warmly welcomed.
Cairns City Cowboys #445
S.A.S.A. #4090

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Choosing my first gun leather. What do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:08:44 PM »
Good topic Sawed Off.
Inexpensive is nice but you need to make sure it's quality. Good leather that is well built, sturdy and able to stand up with constant use is a must. Flimsy leather that looses it's form after a year is very frustrating. You do not want to wind up holding the the holster open with your off hand to get the gun back in. That will leed you to getting a second rig. More money! I finally settled into a favorite rig that worked for me on the fourth purchase. I have the arms but a short torso length, just about the same problem. But I'm only pulling 4 3/4 inch barrels. Check out a Long Hunter 04 rig. 2" dropped holster with a 8 degree forward cant. Pistols come out real smooth with the barrels forced to down range point, not straight down or a backward angle. This is one comfortable rig and made to last. I wish I would have purchased this rig first! 

http://www.longhunt.com/leather/kirk_leather_longhunter.shtml

Shotgun belts are another issue. Not fond of the slides (to much weight on one belt). I have several fancy to plain, but my favorite is the basic old Combo Cartridge Shell Belt from Hunter company.  8 rounds of shotgun, ten rounds rifle/pistol.  Not a heavy belt so it's real comfy.
You can add a four round slide to it if you feel the need for more shells or through some extras in the old vest pocket. But 8 will get the job done.

http://www.huntercompany.com/belts.html

Just my opinion on the issue. Not saying that The Old Trading Post is questionable but it pays to really shop around. It's all about comfort for me, I can wear my rigs all day without a problem. And for the money they need to last and hold their form. If your out at the range ask to try on some of your pards rigs. Always helps in the decission making.

Pit Mule

fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »
I'm short, hence my alias...  I have a brace of 7 1/2" 1873 Uberti Cattleman. I was thinking about going for a drop holster/Buscadero type rig to give my short arms more room to clear the leather when drawing. I fear high rider styles will have me drawing up to my armpits.

First, welcome to the fire!  Second, high-grade gunleather can be the second or third most expensive thing you buy, so you might want to try some of the less expensive vendors until you're absolutely sure of what you want.  Third, buscadero rigs will certainly do what you want.  However, since they are essentially a Hollywood invention, some shooting categories don't allow them.  Drop holsters are somewhat more accurate, though there are some limits there as well.  So, you might want to check on that before buying.

I can't make up my mind if I want two strong sides, or a strong side + cross draw rig. I'd like to try duelist/gunfighter sometime, but without having tried it, I don't know if it's something I'll do in the longer term.From what I've read, a crossdraw rig can be a little faster for the single handed shooter, as you can be reholstering the crossdraw while drawing the strong side.

You probably already know, but I'll say it anyway (I'm sorta like that).  For shooting gunfighter, a cross-draw is definitely out.  Most folks start with the strong side + cross-draw, and you're correct that it can be a little faster for some shooters.  If you go this route, you can always buy another strong side holster later.

I'm guessing there's not much to know about shotshell belts? A lot of pards seem to have loops for 8 shells (4 pairs). Is it worth looking for more than that? Should I just think about a slide to go over my gun belt, or is a separate belt worth the investment?

Guess again! ;D ;D ;D There have been thousands of online posts singing the praises of one way while condemning the other, and an equal number advocating the exact opposite!  Also, it matters whether your shotgun is a double or a pump!

If cost is a factor, I'd suggest starting with one or two belt slides.  Be sure to stretch the loops out just a tad, so the shells slide out quickly and easily.

Once again, welcome!

-- Nighteyes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:14 AM »

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »
But 8 [shotgun shells] will get the job done.

Usually yes, 'cause most SASS and W3G stages have four to six must-go-down shotgun targets.  There are, of course, times when ya just can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn with that ol' shotgun, and ya need all the shells you can carry.

And every now and then, a stage designer will throw in an all-shotgun or mostly-shotgun stage.  I shot one about a year ago that was called "Sweet Sixteen" (yep, you guessed it).  Since I have twelve loops, I had to put two pairs of shells in my vest pockets and pray that I didn't miss (I didn't)!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
I have always told folks it is best to get something inexpensive at first to see what you like, how it fits and what DOESN'T work. Something like Oklahoma Saddlery..get the belt and a couple of holsters, and then you can add a couple of different holsters til you find what works for you.

As for shotshells I started with some slide on loops, then got a canvas belt from Cabellas and now have a shotshell belt with about 12 "double pull" loops and 5 45lc loops on one side and 5 38sp on the other side.

When you decide what works for you there are a host of places to get your leather, but I recommend Paul Combest at RedDog Leather in KY. He does stuff custom at off the shelf prices and delivers in 2-3 weeks. If yer interested I can give you his number.

Go to my web page: ( http://sdough.smugmug.com) go to the gallery "just for fun" you will see a lot of my gunz and most of my gunleather, knife sheaths and shotshell belt.

Also, when you get yer "fancy rig" save all your cheap stuff and share it with newcomers...me and Top can out fit several shooters and they have a blast..

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Sawed-Off

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »
Thanks pards. I really appreciate everyone's advice. I discovered I have a saddler in my area that makes gun leather. He's retired, and a former cowboy shooter. As he's retired, he still makes gun leather from time to time as a hobby, so his prices are more than reasonable. I'm really happy that I can afford a custom rig. ;D

He's making me a drop loop crossdraw rig (point noted on just adding a second strong side holster later if desired) and a separate shotshell belt. My character is a plain old wrangler, so I'm not getting any fancy tooling. Just a plain and utilitarian rig, with allowance for anything he wants to add so it isn't boring for him to make.

Thanks again.  :)
Cairns City Cowboys #445
S.A.S.A. #4090

Offline Clement2

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:52:46 PM »
                   My suggestion is try to search in web site to know more information about this gun leather.

Offline rs_shadow0000

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
As for shotshells I started with some accelerate on loops, again got a canvas belt from Cabellas and now accept a shotshell belt with about 12 "double pull" loops and 5 45lc loops on one ancillary and 5 38sp on the added side.
When you adjudge what works for you there are a host of places to get your leather, but I acclaim Paul Combest at RedDog Covering in KY. He does being custom at off the shelf prices and delivers in 2-3 weeks. If yer absorbed I can accord you his number.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com