Author Topic: The Indian Wars...  (Read 3316 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Indian Wars...
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:23:47 PM »
Just picked up a most interesting book that deals with all of the various battles of the Indian Wars, as compiled by the Adjutant General's Office - apparently with the idea of the creation of the inscribed Campaign Rings - later replaced by Campaign Streamers.

The title:  'Chronological List of Actions, &c With Indians from January 15, 1837 to January, 1891'.

It's a compilation of two volumes printed for the Adjutant General's Office and it's thought that only 200-400 copies were initially printed for Army use only - making the originals scarce.  (Apparently, there was also work done on one that encompassed the earliest battles - but it never saw print.)

It was reprinted in 1979 - by Old Army Press, is hardbound, and has an introduction by Dale E. Floyd.

If you're a serious student of the Indian Wars - you might like to add a copy to your personal reference library.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: The Indian Wars...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
Is this something a Public Library might/should have?
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:29:14 AM »
Somehow I doubt that your local library would have a copy considering the small number published. However most Libraries have what's called an "Inter Library Loan" Program, where all you have to do is take them the name of the book you are looking for and some other information (Author, Dates published, and such), and they can find a copy of the book for you. Sometimes it may cost a small fee but it's worth it. I know I've done this a great deal with the Spanish American War and have obtained a great many resources that would otherwise be unavailable to me if not for the program. The catch is make sure that unless you want to sit there and read the book at the Library that you tell them to make sure that it's not a "Reference Book" and that you will be able to take it out of the library and home with you.
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:38:41 PM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:56:53 AM »
Okie-dokie.

I'm doing something like that at my branch.  I inquired about a book entitled "The Road to Safwan."  http://web3.unt.edu/untpress/catalog/detail.cfm?ID=274  It's about the 1/4 Cavalry in Desert Storm.  (I was there - I want to read what a couple military historians say we did.  ;) )  I "helped" another gent who was detailing history of 1/4 Cav and he apparently didn't feel my 1st-hand experience was of merit.  ::)  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Zouave Officer

• Carolina Zouave
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Death Or Glory!
    • Palmetto Riflemen & New York Zouaves
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »
Well you know some folks I guess, I'm a firm believer in "Believe None of What You Hear, and Half of What you See." But first hand accounts are pretty hard to ignore.

As my friend, and District A.A.G., put it though, this is coming from the same fellow who was reading a letter written in 1862 by a Federal Soldier in the 9th New York, and was correcting the original account, so I don't know, ha ha.  ;D
- Captain, "Palmetto Riflemen" & "New York Zouaves."
- Charles Devens Jr. Camp No. 10, Sons of Union Veterans.
- Micah J. Jenkins Camp No. 164, Sons of Spanish American War Veterans.

"There’s no use dodging. You will be hit when your body and bullets are at the same place at the same time….
Captain Henry J. Reilly, Battery F, 5th U.S. Artillery, 1898.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
 ;D

1st Sgt.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:53:41 AM »
 ;) :)

Amazon has a used copy at $75.00 at this time.

Good Luck!  8)

1st. Sgt.  :D

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »
It's the sort of thing that 'might' reside in a public library designated as a 'Government Repository'.

Unfortunately, much of the reference material stored there has to be read 'at' the library - though an Inter-Library Loan might be negotiated.

No idea what the printing run might've been for 'The Old Army Press', but I'd venture to say it exceeded that of the original by a long shot, since it was designed for the modern historians who voraciously seek out more for their libraries.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
Just picked up a most interesting book that deals with all of the various battles of the Indian Wars, as compiled by the Adjutant General's Office - apparently with the idea of the creation of the inscribed Campaign Rings - later replaced by Campaign Streamers.

The title:  'Chronological List of Actions, &c With Indians from January 15, 1837 to January, 1891'.

It's a compilation of two volumes printed for the Adjutant General's Office and it's thought that only 200-400 copies were initially printed for Army use only - making the originals scarce.  (Apparently, there was also work done on one that encompassed the earliest battles - but it never saw print.)

It was reprinted in 1979 - by Old Army Press, is hardbound, and has an introduction by Dale E. Floyd.

If you're a serious student of the Indian Wars - you might like to add a copy to your personal reference library.

Sounds a lot like the Encyclopedia of Indian Wars Western Battles and Skirmishes, 1850-1890 by Gregory F. Michno
It's a pretty good reference too (inspite of the reversed picture of the 1873 Springfield on the front cover)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com