Author Topic: Ordered the Spencer today! But we got problems! Its here - finally!  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Preston County Rider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
After much hemming-and-hawin', ordered a Spencer in 45 Schofield today - should arrive next week. Picked 45 Schofield because I already load those, have the dies and brass and didn't want to go too deep (new dies, very expensive brass, etc.) with 56-50. Looking forward to taking the Spencer out with my Henry and smoken' up a posse or two - or three - or 100. Will tell you how it goes.
PCR
Picked up the gun - beautiful little thing. Took her home just to check a few things before running to the range. To put it mildly, things were not good. Tried to run some factory 45 Schofield (Goex/Black Dawg) rounds through her - jammed. Magazine spring wouldn't push the rounds - had to tip the barrel down to move the rounds, then one would chamber, the next would jam. Jammed so bad one of the cases was dented! Called Cimarron, talked to Robert who know my gun. Said it was case sensitive and would only chamber 180g bullets (I shoot 235s). I pointed out that statement was no where on the Cimarron web. He agreed. I said I had some 200g bullets around, he said they should work. They didn't. He told me to call Ron Norton of Armi and he would fix the gun. I fumed a bit, quite a bit, and shot an email to Cimarron telling them how I felt and would be sending the gun back (I saw no need to change my fun with the healthier bullets to accommodate the Spencer). Then went to our place in West Virginia for the long weekend. Calmed down, realized I wanted that gun and when we returned, called Ron. He agreed the gun was case size sensitive, said he used TenX bullets to check them out. He told me to get a RA number from Cimarron and send him the Spencer. I called Cimarron, got the RA number and sent the Spencer ($96 - it ain't cheap). I sent Ron a note explaining all the problems and four dummy loads in Starline cases with Black Dawg 235/452 bullets. Ron said he would ifx the gun and send it back. Cimarron said they would back his work.
Needless to say, not pleased but will wait patiently. If anybody else chooses the Spencer in 45 Schofiled, please check with Cimarron first about this case size sensitive problem.
Will update you all when I get the gun back
PCR

Update - 17 Sept - still don't have the gun back - talked to Ron - hasn't got to it yet - said he had lots of Spencers go out (?) - hopes to get to mine this week so I can get it next week....pleased? What do you all think.....missing a shoot this weekend....
PCR

Update - 30 Sept - been one month, no gun. Anybody else ever have this problem?
PCR

Update again - the Spencer returned home today - cycles the Schofield rounds and feels good - haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but it is home and apparently ready to go...seems to hold only five rounds in the magazine - thought a Schofiled would hold more....next shoot is in two weeks - will update y'all on how she does
PCR

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Ordered the Spencer today!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 09:13:16 AM »
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.  It is great fun to shoot in a match.  Be prepared to add about 30 seconds per stage to your time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com