Author Topic: 38 Special loads in Vaqeros  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Timgungoll

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
38 Special loads in Vaqeros
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »
I am new to SASS.  I am playing around with different loads in 38 special for SASS vaquero's.  Off a rest, I was shooting low about 4 inches with 105 grain bullets.  I played around using Bullseye with max recs and +P loads and got it to about 3 to 3.5 inches low.  I then tried 158 gr bullets and they shot dead on off a rest.  I am not sure I should have been shooting off a rest.  When I thumb fire, the 105 grain bullets are accurate on 6 inch steel targets at 7 yards, except sometimes the first shot.  What is this phenomena?  Have others had the same issues?  What are the best pistol loads for vaquero's including bullet sizes?  I use bullseye mainly for pistol loading but also have Power Pistol, Titegroup, and Trail Boss.

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 38 Special loads in Vaqeros
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Your sights appear to be regulated for the heavier bullets.  This is why I don't shoot that caliber in my CAS pistols.  If you're wanting to shoot the lighter bullets, you'll need to shorten the front sight or use a different sight picture. 

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
First of all, virtually all Ruger Vaqueros (old model and New Vaqueros) have generously high front sights so you can file them down to adjust the point of impact, if necessary. Second, the heavier bullets in a given cartridge, generally the slower the bullet travels down the barrel. The recoil causes the muzzle to rise more than for a lighter, faster bullet, so the point of impact is higher for the heavier bullet. Once you have determined the load you want, then and ONLY then should you sight-in your pistol. And when you do, you need to shoot some, file the front sight down some, etc. It is easy to remove metal from the front sight. Putting metal back on is considerably more difficult!  And definitely sight in the same way you will shoot. Do NOT do so on the bench. If you must support something, rest your forearm, just forward of the elbow on something that allows the gun/hand/arm to recoil the same as when shooting offhand. If you shoot Duelist (one-handed) sight in that way. If you use two hands, do it that way. Take your time, but determine your load FIRST!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:52:20 AM »

Offline Timgungoll

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
http://www.burntmillengineering.com/fixed%20sights.htm

Above is a good link explaining it a bit too.  It is good to know the harmonics off the rest cause it to shoot lower and the recoil effect causes the higher shooting when shooting while standing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com