Author Topic: Lead fouling  (Read 1808 times)

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lead fouling
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Hey folks, it has been a while since my last post, but I have a situation I need some advice on, and it may also be related to reloading. I have a handful of guns, including 2 rossi lever guns and 2 uberti single action revolvers. One of my revolvers is a 7.5" barrel in .45 Colt, and really gets a lot of lead fouling.  Now I may not know a wit about what I'm talking about here, but it seems to me that this gun collects a lot of lead in the rifling, while I have never noticed this on my other guns. I've read and heard comments about lead and copper fouling, but this is the first time I have run into this. When I run a patch through the barrel with a jag, I can feel the lead. It feels like the patch is catching on jagged metal.

Here my questions:

1. Is this more common with .45 colt, or is it just easier to find in this caliber (I know that sounds nuts but I just haven't run across this in my othr calibers)?
2. Can anyone reccomend a cleaning chemical, brush, or method of cleaning that can get it removed?
3. I shoot both factory ammo and I reload, using a 250 grain lead round flat nose bullet, just like the factory ammo. I use Alliant Bullseye powder. Might this powder aid in the fouling?

Incidentally, my other guns are .357 magnum, of which I mostly shoot .38 special.

I can certainly use any advice or ideas from anyone.  Thanks in advance for any replies!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Lead fouling
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »
It would help to know what bullet dia you are using, what the alloy is, what they are lubed with, how close they match up to being right with throat and bore diameter.

More information is needed to figure it out, and no, one don't cause any more problem than another if everything is right.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
The bullet I have been using is a .452 diameter, 92 percent lead, 6 percent antimony, and 2 percent tin. Its has a BHN of 18' and has a high temp wax lubricant. I got that info off of the website where I buy the bullets. The factory ammo has been Magtech, Fiocchi, and Remington.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:29:16 PM »

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
The best solvent I have found for lead removal is Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend.  M-Pro 7 also works fairly well.  Barrel leading is directly related to a number of different factors.  The hotter the load (read pressure) the harder the alloy needs to be.  Since most 45 Colt loads are in the neighborhood of 13, 000 psi (very low pressure) a softer bullet will usually leave less lead in the barrel.  At low pressure the softer bullet obturates and seals the bore better preventing blow by and leading.  Sounds like your bullet may be harder than you need.  Softer lubes like Javalina and Alox will also help reduce leading.  Most commercial bullets these days are bevel base and a flat base bullet will help reduce leading.  I dealt with the very same issue for several years when using commercially cast bullets.  When I started casting my own bullets, I addressed all three issues and leading is no longer a problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com