Author Topic: ole eynsford in 1884 45-70 trapdoor  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Tater Pickens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ole eynsford in 1884 45-70 trapdoor
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »
I have been shooting 70 grn Schutzen 2f,  pre compressed under a 500 grn  saeco 881 bullet from MBW, in my trapdoor. According to Spence Wolfe book, the 500 grn was standard for the '84 rifle after 1881. I don't have a chronograph so I don't know what the fps is but I haven't blown my gun up yet, get good accuracy and I like to shoot what the old timers did back in the day, or at least close to it.

I have heard about the ole eynsford powder being a new good powder on the market and I want to try some. Have any of you had any experience you can share about your loadings? Again, I want to shoot full loads like they did originally and was wondering if I loaded 70 grns, pre compressed with Ole Eynsford 2f if it would be about the same as the schutzen or more powerful, or possibly even putting to much omph througth  the old girl.

Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

Tater Pickens

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: ole eynsford in 1884 45-70 trapdoor
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:03:20 AM »
Tater Pickens, I have not been able to get Old Eynesford yet, but hope to get some next month.  Hear tell its very similar to Swiss. I'm interested in your findings.  I too have an M1884 trapdoor and would like to do the same thing you are doing.  What is the groove diameter of your rifle?  Are you able to get the SAECO 881s to match your size or slightly over?  I don't have that mould but understand that its about the closest available to the original government bullets.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Tater Pickens

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:24:08 AM »
I ordered some Ole Eynsford yesterday from Graf's.

I get the Saeco 881 from Montana Bullet Works in a size .459...my groove diameter is .458. I have been using MBW's bullets with the Schutzen and get good accuracy and no leading ...I too have heard the Ole Eynsford is much like swiss so wanted to try some.

I know some of you folks out there had already gotten some of the powder and was wondering what you thought.

Thanks,

Tater

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:19:26 PM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
Thanks Tater.  Let us know how that Old E works out for you.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com