Author Topic: New to CAS  (Read 4624 times)

Offline AvtomatWolf762

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to CAS
« on: November 05, 2004, 06:36:57 PM »
Howdy yall, my name is Deric and I was born with a rifle in my hand- got interesed in guns at 6 and started shootin at 9. Now Im 15 and looking to join Cowboy Action Shootin, but sure just where to start. I have a good 'ol Westernfield lever action in .30-30 (nothin fancy: exposed hammer, tradditional Buckhorn/brass bead sights, wood stock, and so on). Of course, since most folks dont trust young shooters, Im a little on the skiddish side about joining. Ive "owned" my own gun since 9 and Ive had 6 years without an accident. Both my ma and pa are from deep in the heart of the Blue Ridge, and they both grew up with firearms, and after my brother taught me some shootin skills I was trusted with firearms. I just want the good folks around here to know that Im a serious lover of old guns and that Im looking for some good competetion- I live in the Williamsburg (VA) area in the rural parts, so, does anyone have ideas?

Offline AvtomatWolf762

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New to CAS
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 08:16:49 PM »
Is there something that I did wrong  ??? ?

I was asking an honest question...

Foothills Drifter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 07:52:50 AM »
Howdy......
Ya ain't done nothin wrong. Some folks like ta think before they give out good advise. It will be commin.
Read the post right above yours (its titled 'getting started') and you wll get most of the info you are after. A lot of clubs have a shootin calss for first time CAS shooters (at my first shoot I was in the class for 15 minutes or so before they sent me to the posse I signed up on. It don't take long)
Send me an email if ya want........ foothillsdrifter@cox.net

Good shootin......
Vern... ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:33:44 AM »

Offline AvtomatWolf762

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 07:55:10 PM »
I seem to have run into a hold up... seems that I need to have "...two single-action sixguns, a lever-action or hammer slide-action rifle in pistol caliber, and a shotgun. The shotgun is either a hammer pump or levergun, such as an 1897 or 1887 Winchester."

My rifle is a lever-action .30-30, and my only Pumps a hamerless. Am I out of the possie or is there a place for this here rifle lover?

I appreceate any help yall can give.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 10:24:42 PM »
AvtomatWolf762,

Unfortanly that is the rules of the game, my suggestion is to go to a local match and watch, with the 30-30 you may be able to shoot in a long range rifle match, but a lot of clubs are always interested in getting new shooters started, and may have a new shooters clinic or let you try different guns.  As you can see by reading on this wire do not be in a hurry to get set up with your guns and you seem to change..  Unless you have a reason for a particular caliber looking into 38 would be a good place to start, don't discount used and see what barrel leangth and pistol style you perfer.  Many shooters have spare guns and as I have found out they have no problem with someone starting trying them out.  Again read the post in this section and you will learn a lot.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline AvtomatWolf762

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 02:33:49 PM »
I dont mind used guns at all, in fact, several of mine are used.

Sad story here is that my pa isnt to keen to hanguns, revolvers or otherwise. That part would be pretty much impossible to fix... I could trade in my 1300 Winchester for a Trench Gun or other hammer shotgun... otherwise Im high and dry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com