Author Topic: New spurs tight on heel  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Mad Mucus

• Shooter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New spurs tight on heel
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »

My first set of spurs have arrived, Jacks black steel roping, and they're too narrow.
What's the best way to open them up a tad, bench vice with soft-jaws and some elbow grease?
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1219
Re: New spurs tight on heel
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
When I got my steel Garza spurs some years ago which were too tight, I put the open end over the jaws of a vice and slowly opened the vice to spread them.  This worked but only bent one of the legs, with the end result being that the shanks in back tilted inward somewhat.  After tripping over them and tearing up the toes of my boots for a couple years, I started wearing them on the "wrong" foot, with the silver designs on the inside of the foot instead of the outside.  Now the shanks angle outward and I have never tripped on them since.

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
Put your spur over the horn of an anvil and work it over with a rubber mallet.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:39:12 AM »

Offline theshoer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
Put your spur over the horn of an anvil and work it over with a rubber mallet.

Not very many people have anvils. I have 2 but then again I am a horseshoer
I may not be the most important person in your life, but when you hear my name, I hope you smile and say That's My Friend

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »
Howdy!
 Get a new set that's got a wider opening for your heel.  It's really the best solution.  I determined the heel opening size I needed to be comfortable, and before I purchase a set nowadays, I always make sure I get the heel opening size measurement, so I know they'll fit.  (Yes, spurs come in various heel size openings; most sellers of quality spurs will be able to give you the measurement of a pair you're looking at.)

As for opening the spurs you have, best plan would be to send them to a professional spur maker and have him try to open them up so the shanks stay straight. This is will entail cost. I don't know how much your spurs are worth so can't say if this is something worth doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com