Author Topic: 1858 Birdshead Project  (Read 17674 times)

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tell 'em I'm comin! And Hell's comin with me!!!!!
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1858 Birdshead Project
« on: July 14, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
I got this old CVA Remington New Army kit off my uncle for $50.00. I'm not big on these early CVA's, but this was the perfect gun to try out this idea I had been wanting to do! The end of the barrel was rusted and pitted in the bore. ( Don't know how that happened as the outside had very little rust at all. ) None the less this was the perfect candidate for a cut down barrel mod. So I shortened the barrel to 3 1/2 inches. I am going to dove tale cut the end of the barrel for a dove tale brass front sight. I have cut down the loading lever and plan on making it work again ( somehow, ) to hold in the cylinder pin, and maybe even load the cylinder. ( I know, that's a tall order isn't it? ). The one thing I definitely wanted to do to this gun though, was reshape the grip frame into a birds head style grip. So I did! I cut and reshaped it, then welded it back together and got it ground and rough filed back to shape. Below are some pics so far.

Before cutting grip frame pic

After cutting grip frame pic

Another

I still need to drill the grip frame and reinstall the grip pin. Gotta figure out where on earth to put it!!  ;D

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 1858 Birdshead Project
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »
Put several little pins like on a knife handle over by the edge goin down the grip.That is gonna be way cool,heck just get some extra cylinders and a loading stand load 4 and out the door ;D Dang i want one~~Make some more :) :) Your a pretty handy feller there amin.. :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:52 AM »
Absolutly stunning  ;D
Did you shorten the front of the gripframe to or just reshape the back?
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:08:59 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:59:21 AM »
Dang  :D  I like that..... hmmmmm
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:58:15 AM »
Nice job    :)   I had a rough '58 that came as part of a deal on other stuff and . . . whut to do with it.   So made a "Sherriff's Model".  Didn't bother with changing the grip.  Seen a bunch of such projects and they made it look like a lot of work  ::) Anyhow . . the pictures show how I retained the cylinder pin.  http://www.drburkholter.com/cf4.html  :)   Reloading requires removal of the llittle screw, then the "web / lever", the pin and then the cylinder. 

Lookin' forward to seeing more pictures of your project.

Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »
Absolutly stunning  ;D
Did you shorten the front of the gripframe to or just reshape the back?

I actually reshaped the front of the grip frame as well as extended it. I welded the piece I cut from the bottom of the original grip frame to the bottom front grip frame. That added about 1/4" at the outer bottom tip once ground and shaped.

Slick Idea Wolfgang! That looks cool! These guns look so cool with short barrels.

I think to solve my loading lever problem, I am going to drill out the back top portion of the loading lever, tap it, and put one of these in there.

I will drill a shallow dimple on the front of the loading lever and it should hold the loading lever up. I hope!  ;D 

Anyone know where I can get a Brass dovetailed front blade sight ??

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
that is going to be a really neat little weapon! Good job!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »
Track of the Wolf

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartList.aspx?catID=14&subID=167&styleID=762

Perfect Major! Exactly what I was lookin for. I think the Harper's will work! I'll have to cut the base down a bit it's way too wide for the tiny narrow barrel on the Remy. Other than that it should be perfect. Thanks Major!

Offline Colter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
that is an Awesome idea Amin!  Really shows more potential in those 'scrapped' guns.

Offline robby reb

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
That is NICE !

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 08:10:45 AM »
I managed to do a little more to gun this week. I wasn't happy with the loading lever shape and how it did not follow the lines off the bottom of the frame, so I reshaped the it. I also fitted and reshaped the trigger guard. I am going this morning and looking for wood to make the grips from. I plan on working on them this weekend. Here's a couple pics.

Anyone interested in watching the progress of the build you can see it here http://gassaninedesigns.com/id208.htm

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
This is one neat project!  I think we're all anxious to see how it turns out! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see more photos!   :)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 10:45:59 PM »
Wanna do mine :)?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 03:53:20 AM »
Wanna do mine :)?

I be'd kinda interested in that answer my own self

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
I have no problem with doin that fellas! I do want to get this one done first so I have a good basses on any problems I might run into. And I have yet to find a welding rod suitable for the brass frames. Every piece of brass I weld I can see the weld once ground, and I sometimes  get porosity ( holes ) in the weld area. I need to find out what alloy brass is being used and match the welding rod. If you are interested in this mod once I am finished with this just send me a PM! 

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
Just curious Amin . . . . if the joint was really well fitted, could it be silver soldered?  it's been years since I have done any welding, etc.  If I can find a pistol cheap enough, I'd give this a try as I think it has a lot of poetntial.  I'm just curious if the joint was silver soldered, filed and polished . . . . if it would be that "stand outish"?  Maybe you or someone out there could give me that answer?  Thanks!   P.S.  I have an older '51 Navy that i'd love to try altering -  putting this type of grip profile on it, shortening the barrel, maybe do away with the loading lever or shorten it, etc.  Thanks!   :)

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 04:46:29 PM »
Just curious Amin . . . . if the joint was really well fitted, could it be silver soldered?  it's been years since I have done any welding, etc.  If I can find a pistol cheap enough, I'd give this a try as I think it has a lot of poetntial.  I'm just curious if the joint was silver soldered, filed and polished . . . . if it would be that "stand outish"?  Maybe you or someone out there could give me that answer?  Thanks!   P.S.  I have an older '51 Navy that i'd love to try altering -  putting this type of grip profile on it, shortening the barrel, maybe do away with the loading lever or shorten it, etc.  Thanks!   :)

I had a rather large ( strong 1/16  ) gap that I filled where the back strap met up to the front bottom of the grip frame, and I also welded the section I cut out from the bottom of the grip frame to the tip to extend it. Now I want to note this as well. This is an old CVA kit. These guns when compared to a modern Pietta or Uberti pale in comparison. ( The CVA Kits were junk in my Opinion, but could be made to fit and work very well with some work. ) I think if I would have done this on a Pietta or Uberti I would not have had to extend the bottom of the grip frame. and it may have taken less fill weld to finish. It might be worth a try to silver solder it. I think I would have the gun nickeled and not blued if I did it that way though! And I know what you mean about the Navy as well. I have an old one here I am dying to cut like this. I just can't seem to get the brass to weld and finish the way I want it to. I guess worse case scenario if the silver solder doesn't hold you can always have it welded.

Offline amin ledbetter

• Top Active Citizen
    • Ledbetter Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
Well I got the grips roughed in. I still got some sanding to do to get them ready for oiling, but I thought I would show everyone the gun with the grips on it. I made them out of Bocote wood. And the grain in this piece I bought is beautiful. I lucked out finding it. Here are a few pics of the grips.

I would like to hear the opinion of my fellow SCORRS members! To Blue or not to Blue? I guess what I'm asking is, should I blue it or nickel it? If I blue it what do you think about a complete Niterbluing job on? Too bright a blue? What do you all think?

Offline Colter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
Those Grips are the Nicest i have ever Seen! i Think with the Light Color of the Grips, and the brass Trigger Guard, it would Look Great Blued really dark.  It'd Let the grips stand out alot more than Nickel In my Opinion!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com