Author Topic: '73 tang sight  (Read 11972 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'73 tang sight
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
I want to put a tang sight on my "in transit" 44-40 Uberti '73 "One of One Thousand" rifle.

Which is going to be better - the Lyman or the Marbles?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: '73 tang sight
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
Personally, I much prefer the Marbles.  It has windage adjustment, where the Lyman does not.  I have 6 Marbles on rifles ranging from Marlin 336's, 1895's, Win '92, Win '73 and two Colt Lightnings.

I just purchased an original '73 rifle, and the Marbles precisely fit the original holes drilled and tapped in the tang 125 years ago, even to the screw size and thread pitch.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
Thanks for the input!

I think I'll go with the Marbles as I like the idea of windage adjustment . It bugs me to see a front sight off centre to allow for windage.
This is going to be a premium rifle for me, and I want it to shoot as good as it looks.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:23:12 AM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:25:05 PM »
I just replaced a Lyman on a used rifle Marlin 1895 Cowboy I purchased for just that reason.  It bugged the heck out of me to have the front sight way off to the left side of the barrel!  And it sure is easier to dial in the windage with an adjustable rear sight than drifting the front sight with a punch!  ;D
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »
Am I going to want the model with the replaceable peep stem or will I be happy with the standard model?

I see this rifle as a fun CAS rifle out to 200 yards. I regularly plink our 200m gong off hand with my 44-40 Henry using the factory sights. I don't think I'll be expecting better with the '73 I've got coming.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
   Yes, buy the premium sight. You will not be disappointed.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
I expect that, but will I NEED an extended sight stem, or will the standard length meet my requirements out to 200M?

Once the rifle gets in my hands, I'll be shooting it out to 200m and if I find it as easy to hit with the factory sights as I do with my Henry, I may not even bother.
All it would do then is interfere with the grip and be a bit of 'eye candy' on a rifle that really doesn't need it.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »
The standard height stem should be good out beyond 200 meters.  The peep sights will definitely help you shoot more accurately.  Not only are they inherently more precise than a semi-buckhorn, but you have a much longer sight radius.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
Thanks! That's the info I wanted.

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:43 AM »
Warning abut the Marbles standard tang sight! I have a Uberti Cimarron 73, 45 Colt, 24" barrel. I installed the Marbles standard tang sight and tried long range for the first time at NCOWS Eastern Regional last month. We were shooting 220 yards. I raised the tang sight as high as it would go and my shots were dropping WAY short of the targets.

I was new to long range and had never shot more than about 50 yards that that 73 so I had no idea what kind of load I would need. I used some factory Winchester Super X target/range 255 gr that the guy had given me when I bought the rifle. It could be some really weak ammo but I think I need the longer sight stem that you can get with the premium sights.

That's just my two cents worth from long range greenhorn. I feel like my rather expensive tang sight is pretty much worthless on my rifle.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
Thanks, Bowiemaker!

That's an interesting experience. The ammo sounds like it was pretty slow. A pal has a shorty Winchester in .45 Colt and he used it to drop a deer at close to 200 yds - off hand! This shot was verified by his hunting companion. He admits that it was an "Adobe Wells scratch shot" like Billy Dixon's, but a hell of a shot all the same.

Load was his CAS load of a 250 gr bullet and 8.5 grs of Unique. He was a greenhorn in the sport and thought that Cowboy shooting required a Cowboy load, rifle or handgun. My, how things have changed .....

My smokeless 44-40 load is 200 RNFP/6 grs of Red Dot, and I said earlier, it has no trouble reaching out to 200m using the Henry's 200 yd ladder sight setting. Someone else on this forum has reported knocking over steel rams at 500m with his 44-40 '73s carbine factory sights. He had quite a hold over to do this.

I use 33 grs FFg with my cast bullets lubed with SPG when shooting BP. Haven't shot them past 50 yds to date. Don't know why .....

But, I'm grateful for the input. Looks like ordering the sight with the longer sight stem option might save some aggravation.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
The nice thing about the improved Marbles is that you can order additional sight stems and change them out on the base.  I know one guy that has several stems, each sighted in to different distances.  He simply puts on the one appropriate to the distance he is shooting.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:02 PM »
At $48.99 to $63.99 for additional sight posts from Brownells, on top of the initial $134.99 (plus $7.99 for mounting screws), that's an expensive way to get your range adjustments.

I think I'll make do with the standard height and a "mid-range", learning my settings.

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
PJ,

Check out Midwayusa.com they may have better prices.

Silver Rings
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
Buffalo arms has the best prices I've found (www.buffaloarms.com).  Brownell's tries to rob you - always the highest prices.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
Perhaps, but even as a Canuck, Brownells offers me a 10% "veterans's discount" and their service is impeccable.

Having said that, I've had equal satisfaction dealing with BACO.

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
The Marbles Improved sights with replaceable stems are actually a better deal than the standard sight at Buffalo Arms. I paid $128 for my standard sight which turned out to be useless on my rifle. You can buy the improved sight base, stem, and screws for $108. Still not cheap but cheaper.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »
Thanks Bowiemaker!

I'll be going with BACO as they also offer the lace on butt pads I use on my CAS and BPCRs. I need one for my latest shotgun.

The '73 "One of One Thousand" will be in my hands by Friday. I intend to shoot it out to 200 yds. If I can get enough elevation with the factory sight, I may not even bother with a tang.

The 200 yd setting on the ladder of my Henry puts me on the money. Hopefully I can jack up the sight on the '73 to suit. If not, a Marbles sight with mid-range stem will be ordered.

I note in the Madis book that the sight ramp on some 1 of 1,000 '73s partially covered the engraved description. One shows a wear pattern indicating the owner did in deed ramp it up to reach out. These rifles were shot in the era and not hung on the wall to impress friends. Mine will follow suit.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1229
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
PJ, when you get your rifle, remember the rules.  We need pictures!  :)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »
PJ, when you get your rifle, remember the rules.  We need pictures!  :)

Indeed, I want to see it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com