Author Topic: 7 1/2 inch New Vaquero's avaliable again ?  (Read 15098 times)

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7 1/2 inch New Vaquero's avaliable again ?
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
Hi.  I am new here on this site but have been lurking for awhile.  I noticed some posts from about 2011 that stated that 7 1/2 inch NV,s in this length were discontinued by Ruger.  I just purchased one in SS at a local gun show today.  I noticed that the fired case envelope is dated Feb of this year 2013.  Can anyone tell me when Ruger started selling 7 1/2 in ones again.  Incidentally I traded in a stainless 45 auto that I only had 250 in it plus 200 cash for a total investment of 450.  Is this a good buy?

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 7 1/2 inch New Vaquero,s avaliable again ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
If it is new in the box, 450.00 is a good buy.  However, you might possibly have sold the .45 auto for more so they may have skinned you slightly depending on what make it was and the shape it was in.  The used, or "Like New", 7.5s vary in price from shop to shop; but, if it is indeed a newly manufactured gun it's worth more than 450.00.  If it is an unfired old model it is worth more--a good deal more to the right buyer.  I have seen used blued for 600.00+.  Check with Ruger, or post the SN here and someone will know what year it was made.  Rumor has it that there may have been a few longer barrels at Ruger and they made them up and moved them out.  I have no idea if that is accurate or not.  The seller should have had some provenance on it.  If it was not new, there was a fired case after a Gunsmith checked it out or some such and hence the date. 

Great guns, regardless.  Enjoy it. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I just down loaded  the 2013 catalog off of Rugers site and on the Vaquero section it is only showing ss with 5 1/2 and 4 3/4 barrels.  Also does not list my model number 5103 nor catalog # KNV-45.  My serial # is 512-412xx.  The fired case envelope has the Ruger label on it with date of 22-Feb-13.  I am going to call Ruger this week and see what they tell me.  Just handling it compared to my Cimmaron 2001 Custer Cavalry I like the thinner black grips versus the Cimmaron wood.  If you havent noticed I like long barrels.

Advertising

Re: 7 1/2 inch New Vaquero's avaliable again ?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:57:40 PM »

Offline Whiskey Banjo

• Bourbon bullets
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »
Man good luck getting ruger on the phone. I sat on hold for almost 2 hours only to get some lady who was already pissed off from being overwhelmed.. she didnt help me one bit. Didnt answer any questions. Just told me to ship my gun in. Yea right. Maybe id see it again in a few years.

U might have better luck.  But I wouldnt expect it right now with how the gun scene is
SASS#97496. RATS#667

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »
Here is a link to the NV serial # chart.
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-NewVaquero.html

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 05:43:32 PM »
I happened to be in my LGS and thgey had a 7 1/2 New Vaquero in .357 (California)
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
I happened to be in my LGS and thgey had a 7 1/2 New Vaquero in .357 (California)

Are you sure it was .357?  Ruger has never made the Vaquero or the New Vaquero with a 7 1/2" in .357.  If it is indeed a .357, it is a rare bird.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:25 PM »
Are you sure it was .357?  Ruger has never made the Vaquero or the New Vaquero with a 7 1/2" in .357.  If it is indeed a .357, it is a rare bird.

No that I think of it, it probably was a 45Colt.  There were some .357s in the case and I probably mixed it up with them.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
RATS #650

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »
I called Ruger in 2011 and the lady told me they were actually considering building a limited few 7.5" "new" Vaqueros.  I think they would have sold them, even though most SASS shooters prefer the 4.6" & 5.5" models.

They are some fellers who LOVE :-* the longer barreled six-guns.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Trooper Hook

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »
Well, I just found this gun listed on Davidsons Gallery of Guns site.  They show 53 availiable,however they show that it has the internal safety lock in the grip.  When I removed my grips ,my gun does not have it.  It just has the hammer strut and spring with a flat bar that the strut slips through holding the bottom of the spring.  I thought all current New Vaqueros were eguipped with the internal lock?  The grip panel has the divot on the inside for drilling out the locks key hole.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, the 7.5" ones ARE available now.  One of my distributors called me.
Not in consecutive numbers, though.
But at least in .45C and blued.  No stainless ones yet.

Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »
Sure wish I could afford a couple.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
I wouldn't mind a pair myself.  They would go nice with my SS New vaquero Bisleys.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
RATS #650

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
That might drop the price on used 7.5s . . .
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
Here is the link to those 7.5" bbls:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?pg=list&index=2&mfg=Ruger&mdl=Vaquero&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=All&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

Noticed that there are a couple that come with an extra 45ACP cylinder....

MG or anyone....I got a pair OM SS Bisleys in 45colt and sure would like a pair of those OM cylinders in 45ACP that can be fitted....

ANY ideas or clues on where to look to find out?

Later today:
After some research....ain't gunna get an "OM" 45 ACP for the Vaqueros.... :'(...would be a cool deal for some wad-cutter lead heads I have that don't feed well in the 1911's.... still open for some IDEAS!   ;).....LIKE see what a SR1911 would do with them... :)
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
Yeti:

The link didn't want to work.

But getting .45 ACP conversion cylinders works like this [if'n I recollect right]...
1.  If you have an older (big) .45 C Vaquero that actually orignally had a .45 ACP conversion cylinder and you lost it, Ruger will fit a new one so you can use both cylinders.
2.  If you have an older (big) .45 C Blackhawk or Bisley (not Bisley Vaquero), Ruger will fit a new one so you can use both cylinders.
3.  If you have an older (big) .45 Vaquero, Ruger will not fit a .45 ACP cylinder to it.

This was explained to me by customer service.  I think I got it right. Best call them and get theri answer directly and the name of the person you talked to.  Last time we did this, the price was around $140 I recollect.  But it's been a few years ago.

Mustang Gregg
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:14 PM »
Thanks MG,
I guess I'm dream'n as I'm out on two counts...I've a pair of OM Bisley Vaqueros that was fitted w/ 45colt only.....

The site jump'd right up for me OK jus now....a catchity somewheres...

Yeti

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »
Rev S D:

Please don't just go on what I wrote.  :o  My conversion experience was back about 3 yrs ago.
Check with Ruger directly.  Maybe they will fit your six-guns with the .45 ACP cylinder.

And now that link is working for me too.

Much obliged,
Mustang Gregg

PS:

Trivia:
You know back before the "New" (smaller) Vaquero was released, there were a lot of convertible Ruger six-shooters out there.  Even more than today.
Blackhawks in .357 Mag/9mm
Blackhawks & Vaq's in .38-40/.40 S&W
There are others I've only heard stories of but never seen.
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 10:27:58 AM »
MG,

Boat load of snow today in the Colorado Territory shut me down so took up your advice and called Ruger in NH.....

Confirmed your tale told above......No Way No How to No One are cylinders sold outside the Ruger Factory.....and only Wheelies that ORIGINALLY sold with a conversion can get a "replacement" cylinder and the piece MUST return home to get "BOTH" calibers replaced to THAT piece.......said to be about the "timing" and without a doubt the Evil Lawyer word....Liability...

Jus Dream'n.....  no "plug 'n play" Probably would cost dang near what a pair of conversion offered Vaquero's to cost anyhows...
gunna open the link to stare with some drool'n...hurts to see $850.00 for one when I got the pair with ALL the desirables for $600.00.... :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

Reverend

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »
Just a technical comment about timing two cylinders to the same gun. Time a single cylinder is one thing. Usually the hand gets worked on. When timing more than one cylinder, the ratchet stars on the rear of both cylinders essentially have to be timed to the hand. This is not something for an amateur to do. I've had such a conversion done on .44 caliber Old Model Vaqueros about 25 years ago. The guns were NOT sent back to Ruger at that time because they were not doing that kind of work on .44 caliber guns. An outstanding gunsmith did the work after "spare" cylinders were obtained at a gun show (and a .44-40 cylinder for the OM Rugers that the 'smith happened to have gotten on a "trade-in"). These conversions pemitted four different cartridges to be fired, .44-40 in one cylinder and .44 Russian/Special/Magnum in the other. NOTE: the conversion cylinders were NOT interchangeable between guns, only each pair matched to its own gun.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com