Author Topic: Can you help ID my Ruger?  (Read 9828 times)

Offline cunnart

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Can you help ID my Ruger?
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
I got a Reuger from my Dad about 10 years ago and was told that it was a black hawk but I haven't had any luck confirming what it is. I am trying to ID it as I'm looking to sell it so I need to figure out a fair price.The gun has had maybe 150 rounds through it. If you guys also wouldn't mind helping me figure out a price it would be appreciated.

Gun details
Shoots 45 colt
The case has model number 00587 on the sticker
It has faux pearl handles
Bluing finish
Etched gold designs on cylinders

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Can you help ID my reuger?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »
It don't look like a Blackhawk to me.  No adjustable rear sight which a Blackhawk would have.  It looks like an old model Vaquero to me.  The grips are actually faux ivory, not faux pearl.  That don't really matter because either one translates to white plastic.  I don't know about the gold in-laid engraving on the cylinder but if it was done by Ruger at the factory it does add some to it's value.  If it were mine I wouldn't let it go for less than $800 or so.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »
In 1998 Ruger made some Vaquero's with engraving on the cylinder and faux ivory grips. Some of the faux grips had steer heads on them. Here is one of the plain grips on cal guns . net.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=500249

Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Advertising

Re: Can you help ID my Ruger?
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:16:51 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Just look at the frame and it will either say Vaquero or New Vaquero.  Given the age it is most assuredly a Vaquero.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
From what I read from the URL posted later in the tread the hammer is from the black hawk model, at least on the one in the URL. I can't tell from the picture of the gun in question here if it is the same or if it is a standard for this gun model.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »
I've got 4 matching stainless 5.5" .45 Colt of these.
They are collectable and can get a $100.00 plus premium over the normal Vaquero selling price.
You just might need to be patient until the right buyer comes along.

In 1997 Ruger began marketing the first models of their engraved Vaquero series. Offered initially only in .45 Long Colt Caliber, engraved Vaqueros were eventually produced in 12 different models, blue/case color or high polish stainless, 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" barrel lengths and in additional calibers of .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum. The guns featured a gold filled triangle of machine cut scroll engraving between each of the cylinder flutes as well as simulated ivory grips. The models did not prove to be successful as the consumer market decided that the engraving that was there was not representative of the significant additional cost to the buyer. The known serial number ranges and estimated quantities produced of each of the 12 models are as follows:

BNV-44IE (.45 L.C., 4-5/8" barrel), 56-44251 to 57-20325 - less than 1,500
BNV-455IE (.45 L.C., 5-1/2" barrel), 56-23192 to 57-15224 - less than 1,750
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Offline cunnart

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:12:05 AM »
Wow thanks, for the help guys. The value I thought the gun had was way under what it's worth it seems. It is Identical to the gun posted in the 3rd thread down minus the fact that it still has the original hammer.

Do you guys have any recommendations for value and where to sell it? I want to make sure that it will go to some one that will really use it. It's a beautiful revolver but I just don't ever go shooting due to time.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »
You could post it here in Cas City in the mercantile section... that way you'd know a cowboy action shooter was actually out there some where shooting that nice Vaquero.  I own 4 of the big old Vaqueros - all 45's, and I shoot them all... a lot!  If I owned that beauty I'd shoot it too.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
Don't forget that you'll need an FFL dealer to help handle the sale.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Can you help ID my Ruger?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Did you sell it?
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com