Author Topic: Need some technical information on the Winchester Model 97 shotgun  (Read 2734 times)

Gentlemen,

I’m looking for some information on the Winchester M97 shotgun.  I have found one that is extremely nice condition – albeit the gun has been refinished.  It was re-blued and the stock was refinished about 25 years ago – and it has been sitting in a safe ever since.  It is in beautiful shape, although as I say it has been refinished – so it’s not original.

What I’m wondering is if the parts are original.  Based on what I have been told the gun was manufactured in 1907.  There is no checkering on the wood – but the barrel is 28” long.  Based on what I’ve read only certain higher grades came with the 28” barrel – and they should have had the checkered stock.

Also, what were the original butt plates made from?  Were they plastic back in 1907 – or should this be steel?

I’d appreciate it if anybody could shed some light on this gun.  It IS in beautiful condition, but for the asking price I would also want it to be original.

Thanks for your help

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Need some technical information on the Winchester Model 97 shotgun
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:01 AM »
Standard length barrel for 12 gage is 30" and 28" for a 16 gauge. Higher grade guns were checked and marked as "Trap", "Tournament" or "Pigeon" on the receiver. Steel or hard rubber butt plates were used, the hard rubber or plastic ones are most common and marked Winchester. Even the 1893 had hard rubber butt plates.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com