Author Topic: The Revenant  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Revenant
« on: November 13, 2015, 12:36:10 AM »
Went to the movies to see the Martian, great movie.
Saw a trailer for the Revenant, looks like it might be a take off of the Hugh Glass story.
Di Caprio is the mountain man left for dead. Hope it's good, the clip looks interesting.
It's comming this Christmas.   JW

Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: The Revenant
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 11:23:06 AM »
It's one that I'm very excited to see. I heard somewhere that it took them forever to make because they used only natural lighting. Not sure if it's true, but it's always really neat when films do things like that.

Hopefully it'll be good.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:08:10 PM »
I'm looking forward to it. I think that Leo is one of this generations best actors (although some of his movies are not my taste).

I also seen where he was so in character that he slept in an animal carcass and ate a raw buffalo heart. They also said that some of the crew quit because of the extreme conditions of filming.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:59 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »
Saw it last night and enjoyed it. It strayed from the true story in several areas, but hey - it's a Hollywood movie. The cinematography was great as was the acting.

Took away any and all illusions about the romantic life of a Mountainman. I kept thinking - frost bite, hypothermia, infection  ......

Someone needs to tell Hollywood that flintlocks need to be primed to fire reliably. One scene only showed a trapper using a brass priming tool. "Lock & Load!" is not just a expression of readiness.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:50:52 PM »
Saw the movie today...........OUTSTANDING!
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
Seen the movie and thought it was OK. It would have been better if I did't know a bit about Hugh Glass or the places the story took place in. Didn't look like South Dakota or the mouth of the Yellowstone country. Why did they pick such poor camp sites, and hogs in the Indian camp? That two shot single barrel flint lock pistol would be handy!  ::) Henry died in Missouri after returning to his lead mining business. Fitzgrareld joined the Army before Hugh caught up with him. Over all a nice matinee.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 08:15:10 PM »
I'll try not to give away too many spoilers here.
Went to see "The Revenant" this afternoon. Very good, and Leonardo deserves any award they want to throw his way. As does Mr. Hardy.
But, (Spoiler Alert) the movie is 2 1/2 hours long and much of the movie's setting is around running water, - streams, rivers, melt-off . . . so one hour in amidst Surround Sound and if you have to pee but don't want to miss any of the action, (did I mention Surround Sound?) you are up-a-creek, so to speak. Like the subject of the film it tests Man's endurance in the face of adversity.
Men's room afterwards was standing room only and wait your turn. Then relief - one of those two, maybe three minute long pees where you swear not only Saturday's, but Friday's and possibly Thursday's bladder was emptied.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
I went to see it last Friday. I thought it was a good movie however it was a long movie and a bit slow in spots IMHO. River John is correct about all that running water. My kidney's held up but I almost fell asleep. I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com