Author Topic: Glenn Ford's Hat  (Read 24944 times)

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Glenn Ford's Hat
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:31 PM »
Does anyone make a copy of the hat that Glenn Ford wore in so many of his Westerns?  That hat had character!
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline kcub

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Glenn Ford's Hat
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 03:51:45 AM »
Glenn Ford had character. 

In an era of mostly pure good guys and bad guys he was frequently much more complex and interesting.
I recently rewatched the Sacketts and thought he stole the show as the friend who slowly exposed character flaws and became a bitter enemy only in his own misguided perception.

Sorry I can't help you with the hat.  I'd print out a picture, buy a new hat with the right size brim and have the store just crease it accordingly.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
You might try Jaxonbilt Hats http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/  I've bought several hats from Roy. He does very nice work and I'm sure he could duplicate that hat.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:35:45 PM »

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »
You might try Jaxonbilt Hats http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/  I've bought several hats from Roy. He does very nice work and I'm sure he could duplicate that hat.

Just cause I love hats I was looking at this site and found this http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/movie_hats/25_glen_ford.htm

So there ya go.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
That hat has a ways to go before it looks like Glenn Ford's hat. For starters, I remember Ford's hat as being tan rather than the grey pictured, plus his hat was considerably more weathered. Funny coincidence as I was watching the Westerns Channel this morning and they were showing the movie where Glenn Ford agrees to take Jack Lemmon along on a cattle drive. The coincidence is that I was thinking that Glenn wasn't wearing his usual hat. The one in this movie was black.

Offline Durango Flinthart

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »
The short brim of Mr. Ford's Hat has always reminded me of the Stetson Open Road with the crown boxed, the brim curled and many years of wear and sweat.
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 12:12:59 PM »
That hat has a ways to go before it looks like Glenn Ford's hat. For starters, I remember Ford's hat as being tan rather than the grey pictured, plus his hat was considerably more weathered. Funny coincidence as I was watching the Westerns Channel this morning and they were showing the movie where Glenn Ford agrees to take Jack Lemmon along on a cattle drive. The coincidence is that I was thinking that Glenn wasn't wearing his usual hat. The one in this movie was black.

I agree the brim looks a little too big but with some major curl put onto each side and some dirtying up it would be close.  The crown seems to be right.  I will admit I haven't seen a Glenn Ford movie in a while and am going off of memory.

Although I did catch that same movie last night and noticed the totaly different hat.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Ih I'm not mistaken and I often am The Glen Ford hat youre talking about was nothing more than  an old Stetson silver belly with a RCA crease. I wore em all through the sixties and early seventies until the Higher crowns and wider btims with the bull rider crease got popular.
 The last Stetson  I bought like that was at Templeton  Morgans Stetson hat store in Texarkana. Cost me $29,99. Every good Deputy needed one to wear with a suit when we went to court.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 07:44:22 PM »
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
When I was a kid going to the cowboy movies with my dad back in the late 40's, I wanted a cowboy hat but you never saw anything like one on the East coast. My dad, God bless him, somehow got a Montgomery Ward catalog from their Fort Worth store and ordered me a real cowboy hat. Wish I remembered what happened to it. My mom, on the other hand, was always looking for a bargain and one Christmas prior to getting my real hat, I wanted a Hopalong Cassidy hat. Hoppy, you'll remember was one of the first stars to get into marketing. Somehow, there were two companies making the hats. One looked really authentic and the other was less so but cheaper. Guess which one I got. Disappointment reigned big that Christmas

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
I think that Steve McQueen was inspired by Glen Ford's hat with the one he wore in "The Magnificent Seven". The hat worn by James Coburn was a close second.
Some of the beautiful hats worn by CAS 'drugstore cowboys' pale by comparison. Nothing that being dragged around the corral a few laps couldn't cure ....

I used to know a guy whose new hats looked old. He bought them from a maker who 'aged' them with a 'sweat ring' that was done with WD40! Charlie One Horse .... ?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »
I think that Steve McQueen was inspired by Glen Ford's hat with the one he wore in "The Magnificent Seven". The hat worn by James Coburn was a close second.
Some of the beautiful hats worn by CAS 'drugstore cowboys' pale by comparison. Nothing that being dragged around the corral a few laps couldn't cure ....

I used to know a guy whose new hats looked old. He bought them from a maker who 'aged' them with a 'sweat ring' that was done with WD40! Charlie One Horse .... ?
I have two Charlie One Horse hats, one felt and one straw with the bullet hole. Recently I saw one in a western store and it looked to be of lesser quality. Wonder if the company was sold or if they are now made in Beijing?

Offline GoldenGateWesternWear

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
Does anyone make a copy of the hat that Glenn Ford wore in so many of his Westerns?  That hat had character!

We make a replica of almost every western movie hat there is and if it's not shown on our website give us a call and we can make it for you! We make a replica of all the Glenn Ford hats.  check out our link :http://knudsenhats.com/Hatdept/310old.html

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »
I saw an old (1968) Glenn Ford movie, I think it was "Day of the Evil Gun"?  Same old hat, but rattier than I've ever seen it  8)

Couldn't find a trailer or image to attach. :'(

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
I had no idea that the Mel Gibson movie, Ransom was a re-make of a 1956 Glen Ford movie of the same name. I saw it on TCM the other day. The movie featured some pretty powerful acting by Ford.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
Charlie One Horse was bought out, but the hats are still being produced. They have a factory in Garland, Tx (east side of Dallas). They have a big outlet store on premises. They some good buys, you just gotta look around a lot.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
Charactor like this one :)

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
I once watched an interview with Glen Ford on television and he was asked about his hat. He said that if you wanted to personalise you head gear, take it with you into the shower and mold it to your satisfaction.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
nagantino - I have a wonderful Beaver Brand hat, that I did basically that very thing to.  Man I was apprehensive at first but afterwards, man I'm happy.

basically, it was "monsoon season" here in Arizona.  And my hat was soaked.  My head and back stayed dry though. ;) Anyways, when I got to where I was going, in the warmth and heat of the place, I started to just gently shape it.  I've never looked back.  It even has a little dent on the right side on the crown from my thumb grabbing it ;D
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com