Author Topic: Ruger Old Army Conversion Cylinders  (Read 11725 times)

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Old Army Conversion Cylinders
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »
Okay, I need a conversion cylinder for my Old Army. I've heard on other forums that the R&D and the Kirst are equal in quality, but that the Kirst rattles a bit. Since the Kirst only has one firing pin, won't that one pin take a lot of battering over time? In other words, wouldn't it be better to distribute the hammer strikes over six pins? In theory, then, shouldn't the R&D last longer?

Also, will they chamber the .45 Schofield, which has a larger rim than the .45 Colt?

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Old Army Conversion Cylinders
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
I copied the following paragaraph from buffalo arms's website on the conversion cylinder:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5855.htm
This R&D conversion is for the Ruger Old Army. The RDROASC converts your Ruger Old Army Stainless Steel revolver to fire the venerable .45 Colt or .45 Schofield Cowboy cartridges! The cylinder was engineered to have a six shot capacity, and to be able to use it in CAS competition. The RDROASC was examined and approved for SASS use by the Territorial Governors. The RDROASC is to be used with either smokeless Cowboy loads or Black Powder 45 Colt/Schofield ammunition. Please see our large selection of cowboy ammunition.

I myself prefer the looks of the kirst conversion cylinder because you can see all of the shell rims when it is loaded and in the gun.
kirst designed about 1/16" gap between the cylinder and the firing pen plate so you can check for 5 rounds at the loading table.

also if you are going to be loading black powder in the shells check out the cowboy 45 special brass that is being made now for 45 long colt guns.
there has been reviews on this website in the darksiders den.
You only need about 15 grains by volume of black powder in these shells.
their website is www.cowboy45special.com

hope this helps.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 03:53:38 PM »
The newer R&D cylinders have a notch "window" cut at each rim recess so you can see the brass.  Newer cylinders will also accept Schofield brass, older cylinders may not.

My preference (R&D) in the firing pin department is based on the way they are retained.  The R&D's 6 firing pins are each retained by a threaded ferrule, so they are repairable, etc.  The Kirst firing pin is retained by being staked in, and that would make it unrepairable, it would seem to me, at home.  It may have to be returned to Kirst for repair/replacement (?)

I also found, at least in the Remington, that the 6 shot R&D cylinder functions more smoothly than the 5 shot Kirst, but the Kirst is easier to insert due to its channel for the hand nose.  The Ruger Old Army and the 36 caliber conversions are all 6 shot and work very well, with the Kirst being more smoothly inserted into the gun on a quick reload.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:33:28 AM »

Offline Riot Earp

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
With the Remington, you have to rotate the cylinder clockwise to re-insert it. Is this also true with the Ruger Old Army? In other words, does the hand jut out like the Remmie's hand when the gun is at half-cock?

My gun should arrive tomorrow or Tuesday.

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »
I dont know the answer to that.
I just got my ruger old army today.
I haven't had time to read the manuel yet.
from looking at the gun there is no cylinder pin to pull out like the 1858 remington. yes it has a cylinder base pin its just not like the remington. I will have to read the owners manual to figure out how to pull the cylinder out.

From the little bit of fondling it that i have done, its built like a tank.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »
Knucklehead:

You're 'zactly right.  They ARE built solid.
Not really a copy of any period revolver, but a great gun!

Hey!  As a Ruger six-gun owner--You do qualify as a RATs now.  Wanna join?  Free life membership.   :D

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:55:37 AM »
Knucklehead:

You're 'zactly right.  They ARE built solid.
Not really a copy of any period revolver, but a great gun!

Hey!  As a Ruger six-gun owner--You do qualify as a RATs now.  Wanna join?  Free life membership.   :D

MG

Mustang Gregg,

I have been a ruger owner all of my shooting life.....
I just dont like the feel of any other revolvers.
I own and compete with 2 old model ruger vaqueros stainless 357s. I went with the 357s so that i could complete in the frontier cart. catagory. my old model ruger vaquero .45 long colt loaded full of blackpowder was more recoil than i wanted.
besides it gave me a reason to buy more toys by switching to .357s for blackpowder.
Now i may just switch again to classic cowboy since i have the ruger old army.

i just may look into the rats club
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com