Author Topic: Cimarron Bisley questions  (Read 7748 times)

Offline faraim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron Bisley questions
« on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »
After shooting my Cimarron Bisley a bit I've decided the grip doesn't work for me.  Is it possible to fit a Model P backstrap to the frame?  I realize I'd need to change other parts as well.  Thanks

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron Bisley questions
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
Far more cost effective to park the Bisley in the safe, and buy s 73 P model than to try and retro the Bisley.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 04:08:28 PM »
If you have enough money in the bank, you can do just about anything.  In all honesty, Lefty Dude gave sage advise.  Either park the
Bisley in the safe or sell it for whatever you can get for it.  The Bisley, for the most part is NOT popular.  For most folks, the grip just
does not work.

Without some extensive machine work, a standard Plow Handle grip set will not graft to a Bisley.  You would also have to change out the hammer and Mainspring.  I'm not positive about the geometry of the Hammer Cam for the Bolt rise as it's been a good while since I
was inside a Colt style Bisley.  In addition to a lot of very expensive labor, you'd also have the colt of the new parts.  Just on the
basis of the economics, it's a no go.

Just save up yer box tops and get a new gun.  You'll actually be way ahead.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:43:53 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
The frame where the grip mates at the upper shoulder is longer in dimension than the P frame. You'd have a step in the profile rather than a smooth shoulder.

The Bisley grip takes a little getting used to as far as Master grip. I think if you shot it awhile and accustomed yourself to it you would like it.

What caliber and barrel length?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1234
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:21:23 PM »
The Colt Bisley shoots low for some people until they realize that it was designed to be shot with a bent elbow rather than a straight arm.  Don't know if that will make any difference for you.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:38:01 PM »
I've always thought of the Bisley sort of like a Fart next to the Punch Bowl .......... Real AWKWARD!!!

Coffinmaker

Offline faraim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »
Thanks for the info folks. I may just keep it, I picked it up for a song and figured I could take a chance because I've always been intrigued with the grip.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »
 Hang in there with it. I love the looks of the Bisley and I bought a Cimarron 5 1/2" in 45 Colt. Took a little getting used to, but mine is very accurate and last hunting season I shot a javelina and a forkhorn, both at just shy of 50 yds.

Also made an excellent one-shot kill of which I am not so proud:

CHT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 640
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:23:25 PM »
Ouch.  My chronograph has a groove down the top from a bullet to remind me of how near I came to matching that shot.

CC Grif
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Hans Christian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 06:59:19 AM »
I've always thought of the Bisley sort of like a Fart next to the Punch Bowl .......... Real AWKWARD!!!

Coffinmaker

I have not handled the Uberti Bisley but I regularly use Ruger OMV Bisleys duelist.

How do the Uberti pistols compare to the feel of the Rugers?

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
 The grip of the Ruger Bisley I think is more of a hybrid, rather than a true Bisley style. If I remember correctly, it's modeled after the "No.5" grip on Elmer Keith's old Colt.

The Bisley grip allows the revolver to sit deeper in the shooters hand and helps direct recoil in more of a backwards motion rather than the muzzle elevating motion of the standard grip. Thats one reason it's popular with revolvers that are chambered for heavy recoiling calibers.

CHT

Offline Hans Christian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the info CHT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com