Author Topic: SASS vs. NCOWS  (Read 9870 times)

Offline audioruss

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SASS vs. NCOWS
« on: May 28, 2004, 07:40:24 PM »
Whats the difference between SASS and NCOWS?  Also, can you compete in any of the competions (just for fun) if you don't have all the required firearms; i.e., shoot the revolver part but skip the shotgun and rifle parts if you dont have them? 

Russ

Offline Tombstone Runner SASS#54765

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: SASS vs. NCOWS
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 06:40:29 AM »
Russ
Cant skip em but most clubs have guns to borrow out and if they dont I know someone at the club choose will have guns you can borrow till you get yours! Call and talk to whoever is in charge and tell them ya wanna come meet everyone. Watch a match....pick a posse and follow them thru the match. What ever ya do....just go out and see em.
TR
"Did you bring some gold?"
"Nope!"
"Silver?"
"Jus Lead"

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 12:30:15 PM »
Howdy, Pard. Doesn't say where you stable your horse but if you're ever in Mississippi let us know; I always have an extra shooter or two (and leather) and a rifle and plenty of ammo. It will give you a chance to 'try before you buy';  you'll eventually find what you like and then 'shop till you drop'.
Point is:  go watch and shoot and ask.  You're always welcome.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:17:22 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 03:02:07 PM »
The biggest difference between the two is in their philosophies, but in a nutshell - NCOWS is more historically oriented and membership-driven, while SASS is not.

If the real Old West - the West of the Victorian Era -  is of interest to you and if the firearms and clothing are what you like - then NCOWS is for you
If you prefer more modern firearms, and more modern clothing, then SASS is something to look into.

A lot of guys belong to both outfits, as NCOWS clothing and weaponry fit right into SASS shoots, and as SASS guys look to refine their gear, many look to the more authentic clothing and equipment.

Both outfits are good - both have interesting publications - and both are Cowboy and Western Action Shooting organizations that you'd enjoy.

Look at the Forums here and ask where the nearest Posses are - then go and see how they operate, and see what you're comfortable doing.
You'll be afforded the opportunty to shoot and to try different guns and you'll have a ball.
C&WAS shooters are amongst the friendliest folks you'll want to meet.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 04:28:11 PM »
Howdy,

If you communicate with your local clubs, NCOWS or SASS, they will help you get outfitted with enough guns to shoot a match.  I've never heard of someone being turned away if they have a helpful attitude and they give a bit of notice.  You will need to use the arsenal, that is the way the game is played most of the time, most places.  There are occasional matches that are a bit different.

Also, look for new shooter days or programs at local clubs, these are excellent chances to learn, by touching and doing.

Finally, SG has fiven you a clear idea about the basics on NCOWS and SASS.  There is also a bit of a regional issue.  NCOWS is found mainly in the Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska and Kansas area.  SASS is pretty well spread out, nationally.

I will add that the Shootist, the publication for NCOWS is excellent.  I had originally thought I would start an NCOWS posse in Texas, but have had second thoughts, but I do plan to keep getting that magazine.

Adios,

Offline Marauder

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Marauder's Old West Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:56:10 PM »
Yup, both good outfits.

Any outfit you wear at a NCOWS match will work fine for SASS.  Some outfits that you can wear at a SASS match wouldn't be as accepted in NCOWS because they are "shooting" for the VIctorian time period.  SASS allows the B Western Movie periiod in addition to the 1800's.

Some slight difference in gun requirements as I recall.  NCOWS don't want folks shooting a gun with an unauthentic" safety button where everyone can see it.  But NCOWS allows some guns that SASS does not. 

SASS generally adds 5 seconds time for each miss.  NCOWS used to add 10, but I don't know if that is still true.

Tis good to look over the web pages for official info.
http://www.swiftsite.com/NCOWS/

As to not having all the guns, some clubs WILL let you skip a gun and just add the time penalty for misses.  Most times, folks will be tripping over themselves to load you a gun till you can get set up.  Don't automatically say no because it is an EXCELLENT thing to be able to shoot different guns a bit to decide what works best for you.  It will save you some $$$.

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 02:27:17 PM »
As to not having all the guns, some clubs WILL let you skip a gun and just add the time penalty for misses.  Most times, folks will be tripping over themselves to load you a gun till you can get set up.  Don't automatically say no because it is an EXCELLENT thing to be able to shoot different guns a bit to decide what works best for you.  It will save you some $$$.

That right there is some of the best advice you'll get!

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 03:10:21 AM »
If you don't have alla the irons yet NCOWS has a class fer you! "Working Cowboy" only requires the use of one revolver and a lever gun!

(Also, I think that I saw in the last issue of The Shootist that they are now accepting lever guns with safeties?)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:05:16 AM »
If you have a lady friend or significant other then you may want to consult with her to see if she would be interested in NCOWS before joining.  The clothing requirements are much more strict in NCOWS than they are in SASS. 

From what I understand NCOWS is pretty adamnant that women did not wear anything other than dresses and skirts at the time.  Pants are not acceptable on women. 
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com