Author Topic: Winchester Model 12 misfires  (Read 11490 times)

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester Model 12 misfires
« on: January 20, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »
My model 12 is misfiring.  I inheritied this gun and know little about it's past, other than it's been shot fewer than 100 time since 1968, before that, I don't know..  It's in the 63,000 SN range and was made in 1914.  It's been cut down and had a polychoke installed.  It usually misfires the 1 st shot subsequent shots usually fire,  the 1st shot misfires are light primer strikes, the rounds will fire with normal strikes) if I put them in the magazine and cycle them into chamber.  The gun will always misfire if I put the round on the lifter and cycle the bolt forward.  I've replaced the firing pin, and hammer spring with no improvement.  The gun was professionally cleaned and timed by a gunsmith at the time I inherited it.  He offered to "rebuild it" for about $500.  I guess that would include the necessary parts and labor.  I have'nt done ti because he can't tell me exactly whats wrong and why it misfires.  If I know what may be wrong i can make an informed decision, my guess is that he is a parts replacer and may not really know the casue of the misfires.  Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Winchester Model 12 misfires
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
I would like to suggest you contact Pecos Clyde at 480-266-1096 or email pecosclyde@msn.com.

He has sorted out the Model 12 better than anyone.  He'll be able to answer your questions and fix your shotgun, should you desire.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Interesting. Why would it not fire by loading in the port? Light strike with subsequent good hits? Headspace comes to mind but it would be random rather than the first shot.

Man, I wish I had that shotgun in my hands.

I have never heard of timing  a M12. And $500.00 is more than market vaalue. You can replace the bolt and its guts plus the elevator for a couple hundred or so.

Please post what you discover.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:30:53 PM »

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:53:24 PM »
Well, it may be a headspace problem. I took it out again today and  it's misfiring on the first shot and somtimes from rounds in the magazine.  So there is no consistancy or pattern to the misfires.  I didn't know what "timing" means either, but I now know how much it costs!  I don't even know how to adjust headspace on a shotgun, rifles I understand, but I'm pretty ignorant on shotguns. 
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
The Model 12, like the Model 97 takedown has a barrel chamber ring. This ring makes the headspace. These rings come in packs of four or five to cover what headspace ring you need.
Not long ago, a guy brought me a 97 in 3 or 4 pieces. After putting it together the action would not fully close with  round in the chamber. This gun was so bubbaed that I took the chamber ring out and reduced the thickness by a couple hundreds of an inch and it worked fine.
I have never removed the M12 chamber ring. The 97 has two very small screws on each side of the receiver near the front of the receiver that, when removed, allows the ring to be pulled out of the front of the receiver.
SASS29170L

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
http://www.nulineguns.com/part_part_40_3_31_42.php

These are adjusting sleeves.

It occurred to me that an adjustment of the sleeve may tighten the barrel and, therefore, correct the headspace problem. Apparently the chamber ring (5) is held in place by a screw (6). 7 is the adjusting sleeve. Try the test with your gun as is outlined by NuLines and see if your barrel is snug.

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/winchester-model-12-diagram
SASS29170L

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
First, try a replacement hammer spring.
http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/WINCHESTER/12/cID2/mID120/dID326
Second, confirm the firing pin ain't broke  ;)
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »
He has done did that Lumpy.

" I've replaced the firing pin, and hammer spring with no improvement.  "