Author Topic: AWA Complaints  (Read 11887 times)

Offline jonah hex

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AWA Complaints
« on: January 13, 2005, 11:27:33 AM »
I was at my local gunshop yesterday and upon questioning the owner
said that the brand he had the most complaints and problems with were
AWA.
Has anyone had good or bad experiences with AWA guns?
He said the Lightning rifle was a flat  POS.

Offline Cheyenne

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: AWA Complaints
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 10:42:32 AM »
Never had first hand experience with their Lightning rifle....only one I ever saw in the flesh was at our local shoot. Owner had just got it and brought it out to try. First stage, he grabbed the thing, racked it and CLICK......fiddled with it and got a bang finally, then some more clicks, then another bang, then some clicks......this went on for four of six stages before he finally gave up and went to his truck and got his 73. :D

Their revolvers were Ok, but a bit pricy for what they were......They sold a lot of inventory to CDNN who resold the six shooters at some pretty good prices, then they went to a Pietta made SAA, then they went under. :o

I'm not a fan of the original Colt Lightning, so the replica doesn't interest me either....probably one of the few Colt products from that era that just don't trip my trigger......also have to wonder, if it was the answer to all, why didn't it last, or at least make a respectable showing in the 1800's?  ??? ???
Well..........Bye!

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:23:46 PM »
Cheyenne, Maybe part of colt's agreement with Winchester not to get into each others field? Just a thought. You know, I was at a small shop yesterday and they still had a couple Peacekeepers in their case. a .357 and a .45, IIRC. Definately didn't have a discount price on them either! He also had a Schofield 2000, B/CC, long tube with the wood case on consignment. looked like it was unfired or hadn't had many through it...............Buck 8) ::) ???
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:12:48 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:08:32 AM »
The Lightning rifle was not a good gun as sold. I think they released them too soon. I had two on order and cancelled the order when the first ones hit the market. Figured I'd wait until the bugs were out. They went under before long.

On the other hand, my wife and I both shoot their sixguns. They were some of their early ones. One needed a little timing. They have been working flawlessly for about 4 years, now. We have new pistols on order, but we will keep those AWA's since they are so good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:05:49 PM »
I've had an AWA Longhorn, 7.5" barrel in 45 Colt for going on 5 years now.  I've had zero problems with it.  It did have a minor cosmetic flaw on the cylinder that disappears when you handle it.  (Part of the cylinder wasn't buffed totally smooth before blueing.)  I talked to AWA at the time and they were VERY apologetic and offered to fix it, but I decided it wasn't worth my/their bother.  It's been a great shooter with all rounds thru it including Black Powder rounds.

It's one of my "last to sell in a financial emergency" guns!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 08:41:36 PM »
I bought a brace of Peacekeepers in the fall of 2000. Both consistantly got light primer strikes. Called AWA & Russel Simpson sent me new heavier main springs. That cured one but not the other. The 2nd one would not fire two out of five rounds. Sent it back to them. They sent the gun back to me & said it was ok. Still had the same problem.  :(  I took it to my smith & told him I wanted him to fix it right & I was going to send the bill to AWA since it had a lifetime warranty (yeah right). He called me & said that the gun needed to go back to AWA, that the cylinder was 10 thousandths out of concentricity. He called Russel & he said he would send me a new gun. I sent a box of my ammo with the old one & told them I wanted them to test fire all 50 rounds in the new gun (not just two or 3) to make sure the new gun functioned properly. Russel not only did that, but he sighted the gun in with my ammo & returned all my brass. The gun hits right where you point it.

I could not be happier with them. I also had a Lightning ordered but cancelled it after several delays. I'm glad I did. Taurus will have their Lighning replica (called the Thunderbolt) out in a few months and I have one ordered. Taurus guns are top quality & the MSRP is $450.00. My dealer said my price will be quite a bit less.

Btw Russel Simpson bought AWA & their remaining inventory & is now producing & selling the revolvers only. He will repair the old AWA revolvers & Lightnings but it is my understanding that the customer must pay for shipping both ways & possibly parts.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:19:27 PM »
I have a AWA Lightning that I bought last year at "Guns of August". I have put only about 100 rounds through it. It is nicely finished with beautiful wood. The only problem I've had with it so far is that it is hard to load! I sold my Henry so that I could buy it. That was a big mistake!

Wes Virginian
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:39:19 AM »
What makes it so hard to load?  Are the chambers not lining up with the loading gate?

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 01:38:15 AM »
Virginia Gentleman,

I beleive that it is the angle that the rounds enter in the gate, I do not have one but I was observing at the loading table of a gentleman who has one.  That said I would still like to get my hands on one.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 02:40:24 PM »
Is the angle cut too steep or could it be corrected with a stone and file?

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »
Two pards of mine (brothers) bought a 44-40 and 45 Colt.  Issues from the git go.
  • Stove piping because the rails were polished using a grinder
  • Bullet rim stop on the rails were shaped like a half moon
  • Bolts would not close with hammer cocked-due to excess stock wood pressing on the hammer and a very poor sear
  • Was told by AWA to use only factory loads ... same issues
One of the brothers is an accomplised gunsmith (I drool over his machine shop).  After many repeated telephone calls to AWA, 2 returns of the rifles for 'repair' (same results) ... convinced the dealer to refund full value for both rifles
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com