Author Topic: Winchester 73 (Uberti) Long Rifle (30" Barrel)  (Read 30310 times)

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester 73 (Uberti) Long Rifle (30" Barrel)
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
Just added this one to my cowboy rifles-  Don't think I want to use it as a Main Match Rifle... but it sure does shoot good at Long Range, and that was the reason for buying it.  Found it on Gunbroker and the price was better than the others. I short stroked it with Pioneer Super stroke, changed out the original springs and replaced with the PGW new Action Springs, replaced the Lever Safety Spring with PGW's Lever Spring. The rifle is as slick as my other '73 Deluxe Model 20" barrel. I added the DO2 Vernier Tang Sight from Taylor's and Co., and replaced the front sight with a Winchester Front Sight with Inserts. I made the leather butt cover and the lever wrap (too cheap to buy them already made). The rifle really shoots well, it is in 45LC caliber which goes with all my others. I figure if I miss the target, I can reach out and get the bang to clang by touching the target with the long barrel... It could be used as a Main Match Rifle, but me thinks with that 30" barrel, it might be a little awkward on some stages... here are some pics for those of you who are interested.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: Winchester 73 (Uberti) Long Rifle (30" Barrel)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »
NICE!....I Like!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Kinchafoonee Kid

• Kinchafoonee Kid
  • NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
I have a Cimarron Uberti 73 .44WCF with a 30 inch barrel, which I use as my main match rifle.  I shoot black powder with an Accuate moulds deep grease groove bullet, and using Dan T lube, it has a nice lube star on the muzzle, even if it is a long tube.

The length is no impediment during matches, and the balance is such I rarely miss a rifle target.

Great rifles.

Kinchafoonee Kid
Kinchafoonee Kid
SSAS 94231

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:57:11 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
I have seen some folk use the 30" barrel '73 in Main Match.. but I am a little shy in height... laughing. the gun is about as long as I am tall.  She shoots great. Thanks for the comments...
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:38:20 PM »
I had one of the 30" Uberti's in .45 Colt, and it was (after I got it sighted in properly and got the right load worked out) one of the most accurate rifles I've ever had.  However, it did take some doing to figure it out.  The sights on mine had to be tweaked quite a bit off of "center" to be correct, and the load had to use a fairly slow burning powder (I just used BP and that was that), else wise, or at least so it seemed, the bullet would be slowed down in the extra 6" of barrel if the load was for a standard-length barrel. 

I found that a 35 grain charge of 3fg BP (I was using Goex, as that was all that was available at the time) and a No.22 Hensley and Gibbs 250 grain bullet lubed with SPG was just about perfect for it. 

I have to say that the extra length was a boon to me, as I have spent a lot of time shooting flintlock long rifles, so the length and weight out there actually is more comfortable for me than the short barreled models.  I'm sure some folks aren't as comfortable with them, and they aren't exactly "handy", but still I managed to carry it horseback without any problems (other than the horse sweat taking the blue right off.  I learned right then why full-length scabbards were standard!) 

And I still kick myself regularly for having been talked out of it... :'(

Cheers,

Gordon

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
I wanted one just like that some time back but as I was talking to the owner he stated that it would not handle +P ammo. It would handle modern saami ammo alright but he doubted whether it would handle the Hornady rifle ammo I was using in my Winchester 94 45lc.I wanted the 30" barrel  for long distance shooting but I got a little hinky and backed off. The Windchester with 45 Colt will surprise you at how accurate it is at distances in excess of 100 yards.I'd really like to have a 30" barrel to see how far I could push it.

Offline smithcollector

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
I just received one of these in 44-40. Have not fired it yet. I've been wanting one because it is identical to my great-grandfathers real Winchester 1873 44-40 30", that i'd rather not fire, just incase.
With great moustache, comes great responsibility.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
Here is an update on my '73 Long Rifle- That front sight that I put on is not worth a red cent. At all ranges 25 to 200 bullet POI is way low from POA. Sooo off it came and I put the original front sight back on and now POI is the same as POA.  Here is a load that I have been using and it works great. Using Accurate 5744 I loaded 10 rounds using 16 grains of 5744 under a 200 grain RNFP and toilet paper (a pinch) to keep the powder back on the primer. At 100 yards i shot 10 rounds, all 10 were in an area the size of a baseball. I also loaded 20 rounds using 5744 in 17.7 grains, (toilet paper to keep the powder on the primer), 10 rounds using a 200 grain RNFP and 10 rounds using a 255 grain RNFP. I fired 10 at 100 and got the same results as shown above (5 rounds 200 gr bullet and 5 rounds 255 gr bullet) same results as stated above. With the remaining 10 rounds I shot at 200 yards. All 10 rounds were in a circle about the size of a volleyball. I contribute that to my age and failing eyesight.  I had never shot 5744 in the pistol caliber rifle before... it works great. I then tried it in one of my Custer model  7.5" barrel pistols using 17 grains of 5744 and the same bullets as I used in the rifle loads. It is a little stout, but the pistol hit the steel targets at 50 yards and 100 yards with no problems. Someone once told me that Accurate Arms created 5744 to emulate Black Powder in smokeless. It works great, ifn you have not tried it, do so, I think you will be as amazed at how good it is as I.

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
 ;D

Howdy Tom
  I have the same rifle. They're beautiful. I used it for some matches when i was shooting.  Was the rear sight pricey ? I would like to start shooting it at distance. Actually I have the deluxe model with the pistol grip and checkered. Got it as a nice trade for a Henry Big Boy . I wanted a 45 cal to go with my roogers.
Fidgety Phil

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
I like the looks of your sights. I saw this one on Dixie.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_129_651_653&products_id=15536
Fidgety Phil

Offline 58cal

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:41:20 AM »
Hey there. How many rounds does the tube in the 30 inch henry hold?

Cheers

58cal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
To answer some questions and an a 2nd update on the '73 Long Rifle... For Mr phil:  My first Tang Sight was the DO2 from Taylor's and Co. Think I paid $115 for it. Supposaidly it is a Winchester reproduction (?) BUT it is only adjustable in elevation, which is ok, but can be a pain, to make windage change you had to move the front sight right or left...really a pain. So I removed it and replaced it with a Marbles Improved Tang Sight which has both elevation and windage, not as pretty, but more functional.
For 58cal: you can load 13 rounds of 45LC in mag tube one in chamber for total of 14... beats the henry... gets 14 days shooting vs the Henry which was loaded on Sunday and shot all week...LOL.
As previously stated, I got it strictly for Long Range Shooting and it does great. See the load data that I posted above. At 100 and 200 yards the rifle is DEAD ON.  I wish that the rifle had the pistol grip stock... but it didn't. It matches up well with my '76 and my '86 which both have straight stocks. Ifn I was a little taller I would use it as a Main Match Rifle, but I am too short.. rifle is as tall as me...LOL  It is of the "OLDER" generation of Uberti's, the bolt is different than the newer models. She is a lot of fun to shoot, and she can get the distance with no problem.

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply Tom.  :)
Are you using the Marbles Short Range Upright or the Standard Upright ?
Also ,Were you able to install the base yourself ? I see that there are different screw sets for different rifles . Is that as straight forward  as it seems ?
I want to shoot distance for fun so I am debating which sights to get. Hopefully I'll get back to Cowboy shooting soon. Its hard to shoot with the Posse when I work weekends 
Thanks .
Fidgety Phil

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »
Well I got the Marbles improved Tang Peep sight with the stantard post. The Marbles website has a very good video on how to install. Including how to drill and tap the tang.  I'm gonna give her a go. Gonna take my time ,you know what they say.   "Measure twice cut once " . Don't want to scratch up my pretty rifle.  ;)
I'll post some pics.
Fidgety Phil

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »
Mr Phil- Sorry for late response-  When I changed out the Winchester Vernier Tang Sight (Taylor's DOS2) I replaced with the Marbles Improved Tang Sight (Standard post) It is good for up to 200 yards and maybe +/- another 50 yards. Where I shoot Long Range with the pistol caliber rifle 100 yards is the distance we shoot this caliber. So the Standard upright post does very well. The ONLY PROBLEM with the Marbles Improved Tang Sight... they TEND to start "wobbling" after some use, once they start "wobbling" they are not worth their salt. Marbles needs to figure out how to correct this.  As far as drilling and tapping the upper tang for the sight... The Marbles Improved Tang Sight Base had the same hole displacement as the Taylor's Winchester DOS2 sight. So I did not have to re-drill and tap.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »
UPDATE... I have ordered a Kelley Schuetzen Soule Sight (Short Range) for the '73 Long Rifle (the short sight is good for out to 600 yards so anything under that I should be good to go). I have had it with the Marble's Peep and Marble's Improved Tang Sight... They WOBBLE too much and that effects accuracy... gave up on the Taylor & Co., DO2 Vernier Tang Sight also, looks good, but the looks don't count when you are shooting competition. I see a lot of folks use the Marble's product... evidently the Marble sights I bought were made on Firday or Monday, won't go that route again. Will give Marble's credit... they do have a GREAT Customer Service... my biggest complaint about the Marbles is the "WOBBLING" when the sight is indexed.

Offline Buffler

• Citizen
  • Cimarron 73 30" 45 Colt
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »
Just paid for 30" 45 should be in by Friday. Going to give it a try. Your posts talked me into it. Would like update on that soule sight and how's the rifle holding up?

thks
tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
A LITTLE SLOW THESE DAYS-- It finally dawned on me that I told everyone I was putting Kelley Sights on my '73 Long Rifle.. I did, and they work great. Below are pictures of the Kelly Sighting System on my Uberti '73 Long Rifle.  The rear Tang Sight is a Kelley Silhouette Soule (Mid Range) and the Front Sight is the Kelley Globe Spirit Level Sight. I cannot say enough good for these sights... Very accurate. Enjoy.

Offline Buffler

• Citizen
  • Cimarron 73 30" 45 Colt
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 11:27:02 PM »
Sweet looking Tom,  have a good night.

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »
Is this rifle available in .38/.357??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com