Author Topic: Tired of singin' Kumbuya Part Deux  (Read 235688 times)

Book Miser

Re: Tired of singin' Kumbuya Part Deux
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2004, 09:58:06 PM »
AnnieLee, I'm at the elder end of the Boomers, which explains the difference.

Buck, I'm playing a Calicchio Bflat horn these days. Got a smokin' deal on it a few years ago--my 15 year old Bach and $500. I bring home the new ax and show it to my wife, crowing about the deal. She asks, "Where did YOU get five hundred dollars?"  :D

My favorite horn is the cornet, and I own four. The newest is a top of the line Getzen. I also have a British Besson (1950s vintage), a Couturier in Bb/A (1916) and an old J.W. Pepper imported cornet in C. Once owned an 1886 vintage Keefer in fine shape, but sold it when I was hard up for cash.

I also own a Cousenon trumpet in C, very weird small bore setup; a Getzen flugelhorn; a Getzen slide trumpet (useless); a decent C.G. Conn bugle; and a WW1 vintage king Eb alto horn.

Marching and playing was never my choice. My dad played tuba and sousaphone, and was a member of the original Baltimore Colts Marching Band, formed in 1948 (about six years before the football team emerged). I started on the trumpet in fourth grade, and at the age of ten was tagging along with Dad, playing in an American Legion band consisting mostly of first World War veterans. We were charter members of a community band formed around 1957, which is still in existence. I think only two of us are left, who are original members. The community band that played tonight is a newer group, but includes some people who were pals of my dad, who has been dead 26 years now, as well as some folks I've known for 50 years. Oldest member of that band is Charlie, the bass clarinetist, who is 91. Plays a hell of a good horn, too.

I'm a middling player; would be better if I went back to practicing every day. Nowadays, I play once or twice a week, and the rest of my time is taken up with guns and the Internet.

Book Miser
 8) 8) 8)

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2004, 10:24:31 PM »
I've played a few of the other key horns, but not enough to be proficient at them. My first horn was a Getzen in 4th grade like you. Can't remember the brand on the one I played through high school, all I remember was it was nickled, looked rather narrow buildwise and had a trigger for the rear slide. It served me well as I was first Chair First three out of four years and was the only frosh to play first as well. Name just came to me, a Reynolds! Did marching band, pep band, and the dance band/stage band. That was my first love, we did a lot of the oldies. Also played for the stage productions at school. when I got out, kinda put it down for awhile( got married). After my divorce I got involved with a Community band at a local college, then a Community Band in North Canton around the Bicentennial. Have also played with my school's Alumni Band, but gave that up after ACL surgery and a heart cath. Haven't touched it since I started CAS. My wife and her sister play as well, the wife plays flute/pic and sis plays trumpet. They still do their Alumni Band. Love the dance band era stuff. Really gets me going.................Buck 8) ::) ;D ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2004, 01:51:08 AM »
Well, since we are baring our souls, (s it were) I continue to play mediocre guitar...(have 4 and all sound medicore, in my hands..) To give an idea of where we were, Me and Old Top were trying to put together a Chrysty Miinstrel group and the name "Undecided Conflict seemed to work for us. We only had one gig (at church). We were doing Michael. Top and I were supposed to whistle  the tune together for the intro. We had to stand at opposite sides of the stage and face away from each other, so as not to crack up. To this day we still cannot get through it without laughing hysterically. (You laughing now Top?). But it was a "strange and wonderful " time.

Annie Lee, You put the concept down in words SOOO truthfully. Well said......

My late night question to you is: Was the bikini:  a yellow bikini with polka dots  OR  a bikini with yellow polka dots? That question has always bothered me and no one can seem to agree.....
g'nite all sleep tight..
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:28:37 PM »

Book Miser

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2004, 09:06:59 AM »
Curley if I'd been able to work my way to mediocre on the guitar, I mighta kept at it.  ;D

That story about you and Top reminds me of something I read about Jeri Ryan, the actress who played the part of Seven-of-Nine, the Borg character (and space dominatrix) on Star Trek. If you watch any of those episodes where she's delivering a line such as "You WILL comply," you'll notice there's nobody else in the shot with her. According to one of the fan sites, she cracks up so easily that they couldn't get her to say that line "straight" while she was looking at anyone...

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2004, 12:10:32 PM »
Book,

I have no problem with "You will Comply"  I just can't whistle with Curly in the room we both go in to gales of laughter. but can't whistle at the minute till I get my new store teeth.  Matter of fact next time we shoot together I may try to whistle and see if I can get Curly off his form, need all the help I can to out shoot him. Hope the teeth come in soon.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2004, 05:59:56 PM »
Top,
as I recall, you may have missed more but yer time was still faster than me.. the joke about being as good as you once was comes to mind.
Seeing you doing a "Dub Taylor" bit already cracks me up...

no one wanting to go the "itty bittsy bikini" route eh? guess you just have to be as sleep deprived as I was.....
cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Book Miser

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2004, 06:25:05 PM »
All right, Curley. It's raining and cold. I can't walk the dog and he's complaining, and I just had my first drink of the evening, so I'll bite.

I always pictured the thang as an eggyolk yaller bikini with white pokey dots.

Book
 :D

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2004, 09:24:43 PM »
See, I am not the only one that "pictured" the bikini...I just couldn't decide...

Top, did ya put the teeth under yer pillow, mebby the tooth fairy would leave enough cash for some 44/40 rounds...he he he

Miz Lee, You have been awfully quiet, I am badly in need of a good song...
BTW, yer pix in the profile look very nice...
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2004, 09:55:57 PM »
I always had the mental picture of the bikini as lemon yellow with white polka dots.

A long day, Curley, I haven't been able to sleep past 4 am all week, so I've been dog tired in the evenings. (Hot flashes in the early morning are no fun.)

After last night's post, I spent a lot of time thinking about music, today.

A song... See, I don't want to repeat myself, I don't think I've posted this one before:

Here I am again in this mean old town
And you're so far away from me
And where are you when the sun goes down
You're so far away from me
So far away from me
So far I just can't see
So far away from me
I'm tired of being in love and being all alone
When you're so far away from me
I'm tired of making out on the telephone
So far away from me
So far I just can't see
So far away from me
I get so tired when I have to explain
When you're so far away from me
See you been in the sun and I've been in the rain
So far away from me
So far I just can't see
So far away from me

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2004, 10:08:19 PM »
I do know you have been up early, you were on line, let's just say I was up late and you were up early, (I could see that you were online at the same time as me.) My old pap often said that some times the thing a person needed most was the hardest to get...sleeep!

I hope the reflection on music from yesterdays post was positive...

As for repeating yourself, I wouldn't mind, as you have picked some awsome tunes, very well selected.

I needed something to redirect my attention at this minute as I have an employee that just "scammed" me and if he were here right now and my 45 was here right now.....well, you get the picture. So something soft and thought ful was just the ticket. Thank you. (the employee probably will thank you)

What do you think of the profiles?
cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2004, 04:07:19 AM »
And I am up early again this morning! Argghh!!!

I like the profiles. I need to send a payment to the Marshal after the Holidays to show my appreciation for this site. He does a fantastic job.

The music musings were good.

I don't play an instrument. My folks had five kids and if one got something, everybody got something similar, and they could not afford that. One year for Christmas, I got a semi-decent guitar. That was an adventure since I am left handed. Then my stoney brother borrowed it and when I finally got it back, the frets were broken off the neck. So much for that. However, when he left home, I got his record collection and that was very cool. I just had to scrape the peanut butter off the grooves. Several months later, I got one of his albums out that had the folding album cover. I opened it, and all the seeds rolled out into my lap. The best present he ever gave me was Led Zepplin IV.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Book Miser

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2004, 09:21:27 AM »
I'm glad my sister is seven years older than I. So there wasn't too much of the kind of fighting and rivalry you'd have with a closer sibling. She was married by the time I was in high school. Now, when SHE was in high school, the whole de-segregation business was just starting. The Brown decision was handed down when she was in 9th grade. Naturally we discussed it at supper, and we two did not share the prejudice my dad had developed, driving a taxicab. At least once a week, supper would end with Ginny leaving the table in tears, after my father had said, "You'll probably marry one!" She didn't, and Dad's viewpoint eventually softened.

We shared a bedroom until she got married, which made for some weird moments when she was a teenager, but after all this was in the 1950s, so the biggest conflict was about closet space.

Ginny and I live only twenty minutes apart, and we saw each other on holidays, but we didn't really become close friends until she retired, after which she'd come to visit me at the book shop.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2004, 05:31:05 PM »
I understand poor family...but, think that just makes one appreciate what you get that much more.....

MIz Lee, don't know if you noticed in my profile pix but I am also left handed..(except the Catholic nuns and my grammma tried to keep me from that so I still write eat and play the gitar right handed, none very well..) I started shooting lefty about 6 years ago. I now have a lefty duke rig, and a custom rig in the pix lefty...

Book Mizer, I didn't have to share a b/r so I was fortunate, but I can see the difficulies that would present.

Wish I had a tune for us today, but I am just trying to get us thru the day...
cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2004, 08:31:31 PM »
I was too late for Brown, but got caught smack in the middle of busing.

We had a neighborhood Junior/Senior High School. My neighborhood was integrated, but the town just north of us was predominantly black, and the town just north of that one had its start as a "White only" community. Logic and economics would have said to integrate those two school districts and leave ours alone. But the folks in the white only area were wealthy employees of the (at the time) world's largest aircraft engine manufacturing plant. No way were those kids getting shipped to the poorer town. My school was turned into a High School in the summer between 7th and 8th grade. The rich white kids got bussed to my old school, while the white kids of my district were shipped north to the poor school. I spent one year at that school, while the race riots swirled all around us. One day we were evacuated out of there. The school was one of the few in the county that had a fence around it, with constitina (sp?) wire at the top of the fence. As we were ushered out by our teachers, we got to look at all the angry faces of the men who were standing outside that fence. My sister, who was in 10th grade and in the High School, got the crap beat out of her that day, for no reason.

The next year, I was 9th grade and back to walking to school. I don't think folks realized how their actions were affecting the children.

When I was in elementary school, I was segregated from the other kids because I was left handed. My teachers did everything they could to get me to develop that back handed scrawl most lefties had. They'd walk by my desk, tsk, and line up the paper so that it matched the paper of the other kids with the top of the paper pointed toward the upper left hand corner of the desk.  As soon as she walked by, I'd switch it back so the top was canted toward the upper right hand corner of the desk. Sometimes, it pays to be hard headed and stubborn.

Dang. I'm not used to talking this much about me.

A song, a song...

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Book Miser

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2004, 08:57:31 PM »
A/L, it's concertina wire. Like the musical (?) instrument.

When my sis graduated HS (1959) the student council prez was a black guy. But segregation was still the rule until after I graduated, although there were some exceptions. Geographically, I shoulda been assigned to the black school, and thank God I wasn't, as the place was a disgrace. We had a handful of blacks among the 800 or so in my graduating class, but I did not have a single black friend until Jr. college. I rode the bus there, and so did a black girl I recognized from the HS chorus. We got to be pals, especially when we discovered how it upset the factory workers who rode the same bus. But Sandra was the only black student among 700+ at our jr. college. The people who think race prejudice is a problem today have no idea how it was then. Black and white folk who were friends had to be careful about where they went together, else a fight would get started, for no good reason.

How about this one, which I'll have to start in the middle, 'cuz I can't remember the beginning. The Kingston Trio, around 1957:

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls.
The Dutch hate the Germans; the Germans hate the Poles.
Italians hate Yugoslavs; South Africans hate the Dutch.
And I don't like anybody very much.

But we should be happy and thankful and proud
That Man's been endowed with the mushroom-shaped cloud.
And we know for certain that some lovely day,
Someone will touch the spark off...
And we will all be blown away.

They're rioting in Africa...
There's strife in Iran...
What Nature doesn't do to us,
Will be done by our fellow man.

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose, eh?

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2004, 09:15:34 PM »
Aye, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

And the only constant is change.

Repeating myself...

And the seasons, they go round and round...

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2004, 09:48:11 PM »
I was in high school from 61-65, and so lucky, we had no race problems. During that period I was a surfer, (yup you read it rite...) and spent a lot of time going to the beach.. and working..(When i was in 8th grade I started in a school in los angeles where i was only one of 5 white kids, and ended the year in a school in Pasadena full of white rich kids...Talk about strange...)

Seems a meloncoly nite guess we need us a song:

rivers get deeper, not shallow
The further you move down the streem
Wonderin if I can keep her
As i race to catch up with my dreams
How they shine and giltter and gleam

Years grow shorter not longer
The more you've been on yer own
Feelin's fro movin grow stronger
So you wonder why you ever go home
So you wonder why you ever go home.

But, Old Top and I had a saying all through school:  Security was knowing you had to go to school tomorrow..(but, that was a kinder, gentler time...and sometimes it is missed..)

The Kingston Trio song will get a rise out of Old Top....He has ALL their albums except the Christmas album...Don't ask me why? I just don't have a clue
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2004, 10:03:49 PM »
That was melancholy, Curley, who did it?

Here's one from me, before I go to bed. It isn't a song, it is an old poem. It is a poem about perspective:

Tell Him So
If you hear a kind word spoken
Of some worthy soul you know,
It may fill his heart with sunshine
If you only tell him so.

If a deed, however humble,
Helps you on your way to go,
Seek the one whose hand has helped you,
Seek him out and tell him so!

If your heart is touched and tender
Toward a sinner, lost and low,
It might help him to do better
If you'd only tell him so!

Oh, my sisters, oh, my brothers,
As o'er life's rough path you go,
If God's love has saved and kept you,
Do not fail to tell men so!

- Unknown author

It hurts no one to speak kindly of another...

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2004, 10:14:33 PM »
Miz Lee

You can be a very DEEP thinker....very nice..

Believe it or not, that was by Jimmy Buffett..(I am a big fan of his...) I actually saw him fly past my work...(you ask how did I know Jimmy was flying past me..Well, he is the only one I know of that currently flys a big old land/water aeroplane, and I was gonna see him in concert in Orange County that weekend, AND, he was being sponsered by Margerativille Tequila, which has a picture of his seaplane on the bottle...so, it only stands to reason.)

Have a good sleep, don't get up too early, and don't worry about banking the fire tonite...it was in the 80's here today
pleasant dreams...
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2004, 02:48:18 AM »
Curly,

I dont have the Christmas Album as I never found it, still looking though but records are hard to find.  I cannot remember the name of that song so now I will have to unearth the albums and look it up.  No the tooth fairy has not givin me any thing for the tooth, although I may just put it on the watch chain for a giggle.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com