Author Topic: Period Packing-What's in Your Kit?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
Period Packing-What's in Your Kit?
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
I started this from another thread when the discussion of period packing came up. I figured it would be fun for those of us who are into trekking to show off our kits and take a look at what the other guy has. There are tricks to the trade that work well for some while others use different methods so I feel that this will be a great opportunity for all of us to get some ideas and learn from the experiences of others.

My kit is suitable to 1850-60s depending on the event. It consists of my plains rifle, Colt "navy-six", Canteen, Knapsack, Hunting bag and Belt knife.

Knapsack: My personal items are parceled into one sack and my shooting supplies into another.  Clothing is stacked in accordance with its necessity. I keep spare shooting items in my knapsack in case my hunting bag is somehow lost.  I carry a spare set of underwear, flannel shirt, trousers, socks, moccasins, suspenders, cravat and mittens. For tools I carry 60" of rope, hatchet, & a full shooting bag with 1lb powder, 2lbs lead, moulds/ladle, caps, grease, gun tools/parts. I also carry a huswife (sewing kit) for both clothing and leather, toiletries, whetstone, period writing kit/account book, (functional) period first aid kit/medicines, tinder box, matches, a bottle of aguardiente, and about 3-days rations.

Hunting bag: Original patch knife, bullet bag, powder flask, wadding, capper, spare caps, tools & brushes, pistol flask, pouch of pistol ammunition, oil flask, tinder box, compass, spyglass & package of Colt's pistol ammunition.

Pockets: I carry my watch, wallet, tobacco, period currency (playing pieces for cards), pocket knife and matchsafe.

Not shown is my canteen, large gourd bottle (for desert rides) and optional militia haversack.

I am interested in seeing what the others have.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
Re: Period Packing-What's in Your Kit?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »
Almost forgot.  Here are  the details of my writing kit (aka. journal/account book). It comes with Pens, pencils, period paper, envelopes, dry ink, stamps, documents and (1854) almanac.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »
Dave: You have put a lot of thought and effort into your outfit. I am really impressed. You've set a high bar!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:11:08 PM »

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
Excellent kit and great gear, Dave!  This is a truly outstanding effort on your part!

Congratulations!
Ron

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Bill & Ron,

I think that the fun part of pursuing "authenticity" is that although it is practically impossible to get it all 100% (to a molecular level) exact to any certain time period, the fun is in seeing just how close you can come to simulating it. In the meantime, I hope we get what we are looking for out of this peculiar hobby.
I get to feed my nerd-like desire for details while at the same time enjoying the fellowship of my friends while walking in the proverbial footsteps of our ancestors.

I found another shot of my pocket contents. It includes my pipe, tamper and tobacco bag; 1850s era accordion wallet, coin bag & pocket change, drinking flask, key-wind pocket watch, matchsafe, ca. 1850s pack of smokes, and congreve (comb) matches.

-Dave

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:05:17 PM »
Well done, Tsalagidave!

I'll try to get pics of my trappings one of these days. It will pale by comparison, though.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »
Thanks John,

Don't worry about anything paling in comparison.  I get jealous of other people's stuff all the time. I look forward to seeing your kit.

-Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com