Author Topic: Any other Pipe Smokers out there?  (Read 23918 times)

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
  • "He did it! He missed the barn!
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Any other Pipe Smokers out there?
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »
You fellas remember that store that was always in every mall you went to?  The Tinder Box I think it was.  Place smelled SO GOOD!  They had some really neat stuff there and some great pipe tobacco blends.  It was the only pipe tobacco other Captain Black that didn't burn my tongue.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »
‘Round here it was To-Bac. Fine pipe blends. All cigars in humidors. Pipes of all descriptions and prices. Some of the prettiest chess sets ya ever wanted to see, I have two from there. The stores are long gone.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
Around here, all conversations will eventually either turn to weed or poop. ;D

Yup!  I'm too pooped to weed my garden!  ;D
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:03:15 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:24 PM »
You fellas remember that store that was always in every mall you went to?  The Tinder Box I think it was.  Place smelled SO GOOD!  They had some really neat stuff there and some great pipe tobacco blends.  It was the only pipe tobacco other Captain Black that didn't burn my tongue.

We had a Tinder Box.  Bought a ciggarette case there an thought I was the cat's pj's.  They sold knives an stuff in there too.  An yeah, it smelled like heaven.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
We had a Tinder Box.  Bought a ciggarette case there an thought I was the cat's pj's.  They sold knives an stuff in there too.  An yeah, it smelled like heaven.

Leo

Me too, in a real tortoise shell with matching lighter.  Made by Collibri, I think.  I wonder where that thing has gone?  Made ya' feel like you were Bond, James Bond.  Course it didn't help I was ugly, but I thought I had class. 

Arcey, I remember those chess sets, I could never afford them then and didn't have anywhere to put them.  Now I collect them and have over 12 sets but none as nice as some of the ones in there.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »
‘Round here it was To-Bac. Fine pipe blends. All cigars in humidors. Pipes of all descriptions and prices. Some of the prettiest chess sets ya ever wanted to see, I have two from there. The stores are long gone.

"To-Bac"  wasn't he a Vulcan on Star Trek Voyager?  ??? ??? (Talk about 'thread drift’)   ::) ::) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
I thought he was that rapper guy that got shot dead in Vegas but then kep mysteriously puttin out albums ;D
     (drifting off the shore line now...)

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »
I think that was Tu Poc the non-life saving cousin of Ka Poc.  ??? ::)  (I think we’d better quit before someone thinks this thread isn’t just adrift, but may have been hijacked ! ;D ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »
  (I think we’d better quit before someone thinks this thread isn’t just adrift, but may have been hijacked ! ;D ;D ;D

Pipes are good.  I like to smoke them ;) 

(There ya go, back on track)

Roland Deschain

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
I may still have to look around for the right pipe.  My wife used to like the smell of pipe smoke, (I'll have to go on a fishing trip to see what blend it was).

(That should get the other set of wheels back on the other rail!!
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline kid sheleen

• Top Active Citizen
    • Circle M Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »
 :)
Well, hell, boys,  I was just gettin' ready to put my canoe in the water!  "Drifting aloooong, with the tumbling tumbleweed."
There, now we have drift AND weed.  Speaking of tumbling.....never mind.  I'm paddling back to shore now.

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:10 AM »
I have a couple of period-looking briars that I occasionally fill up with Half & Half and fire up. Twain said, "A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to put in his mouth." When I'm at an event and don't want to smoke filtered cigarettes, it's nice to have something to put in my mouth  ;D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 02:12:52 AM »
For those who wish to enhance their persona, Period Correct pipes will include straight or bent stems and bowls of almost any hardwood - briar (of course) and the fruit trees: apple, cherry, even pear. Folks have tried almost any wood, with varying results. Oily woods are to be avoided.  Do not overlook the southern favorite, the corncob! Clay pipes, whilst popular with Voyageurs, Rondy-types, and early 1800's taverns, grew out of popular favor after the Civil War. Possibly due to the fragile nature. Meerschaum pipes ( Sea Stone) are a wonderful smoke and highly prized.

Smoking mixtures of the era might be a cavendish, burly, turkish or Virginia tobacco, or any blend. Aromatics like cherry and vanilla ought to be avoided, but whiskey and rum had been used in curing amongst the non-indians for quite a while.

Speaking of our Native Brethren, the so-called Kinnikinnick or 'Bear-berry' was widely smoked by Voyageurs and Native Americans during the Fur-Trade eras . Technically a blend of native herbs ( no wacky weed!) it usually included Bear-berry, tobacco, red willow bark, and others. Native-grown tobacco was usually only air-dried (not fermented or cured) and was often higher in nicotine content. 

My Lahkota brothers have taught me Tobacco has always been considered one the the Four Sacred Herbs by Native Americans. An  "everyday" smoking mixture and pipe should not be confused with sacred ceremonial Canupa (or Chanupa or Calumet) (pipes made from red pipestone) and the sacred Chansasha tobacco.

Aho Mitakuye Oyasin
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
Thank you, Professor.  Can't imagine what it'd've taken for me to deliberately set out to learn so much detail.  And the tuition is free!

This belongs in CASCity Historical Society.

Nice work.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
Ok folks I found this in my archives,  I guess a pipe was part of my formative years.  Me, our dog Casey, my pipe and my Dad’s hammer.  Alas, the only thing I still have is that same hammer.  Lost the dog and pipe many years ago!
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Alabama

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2008, 04:57:15 AM »
Howdoo Coloradian ,

I smokum a pipe , and cigarettes too , double fisted too if I could  firgure out how not to spill my coffee doing them both at the same time , loves my Bacco !  ;D

I smoke some of the fienst money can buy , Flying Dutchman and shoot it out of my straight shaft Dr. Grabo "Aristocrat" Brierwood smoke pole with Grabo filters too . Matter of factly my Dad bought me two pounds of that fine stuff  in April for my Birthday again in this year. I love my Dad ! He knows what I like and at $70 a can , that's a great gift for my enjoyment whilst gunsmitthing my revolvers . I only smoke pipe when I work on my guns . So I try to work on guns allot !  ;D Smooth and relaxing , unlike me   ;D
Pipe smokers are a dying breed , hee hee , but were few and far between nowadays . I useually get " Oooohh that smells good " when I light up if anyones around . Only if they really knew how enjoying it is  ;D

Sincerely, ALabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com