Author Topic: Why 5 rounds in the 1911 magazines?  (Read 11996 times)

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Why 5 rounds in the 1911 magazines?
« on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
I am new to WB, just getting all my gear together.  I was reading the post on how many magazines folks are carrying (6+ seems to be the answer), and it made me wonder why we are using so many magazines instead of just increasing the magazine load from 5 to 7.  Being an FNG, can some one explain the logic behind why 5 rounds was chosen in the first place? 

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why 5 rounds in the 1911 magazines?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
At our range the WB competes head on with the SASS shooters. SASS shooters have five round sets from each revolver,,so the WB ones shoot five rounds too ,,as to be on the same page as far as scores. The sixth round would mean leaving a loaded round in the pistol which would be a safety violation at the least.

Deadwood

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »
Most WB matches are set up on CAS ranges with CAS targets and simular senerios. Most WB shooters are from the CAS ranks where pistol sweeps are in groups of 5 or 10. When writing senerios it is better to pattern the pistol sequences after the rifle sequence, less Ps and not a memory contest. Sorta like "With rifle shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps", "Move to table 2, with pistol shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps", "Move with pistol to table 3 and shoot two 2-1-2 sweeps" We have a stand alone WB match so we do have more movement and shooting positions than our CAS matches. WB is a blast, Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:05:43 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »
I shot a 1911 with 5 rds per mag in one of our club matches and there was no advantage over shooting a SA. By the time I chambered a rd, reloaded a mag, lowered the slide on an empty chamber and dropped the hammer, it was an 'equalizer'.

Shooting a full house .45 ACP against a wimp loaded .38 makes ya feel good!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
SASS shooters count their strings in fives and tens.

SASS R/Os count in fives and tens.

SASS spotters count in fives and tens.

Safety, pure and simple.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
Mainly because that is the WB rule.

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »
I thought that WB was setting out to be something different than SASS, that it was a chance to break free of some of the less interesting elements of the SASS shooting format.  In particular, (and per SASS's own statements) I thought that it was not going to be a just another SASS shooting category.  AH well, WB is young yet, who knows how it will develop. 

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 11:29:35 PM »
Why bother, some of us can shoot as poorly with 5 rounds as we do with 7 so why not save ammo.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
So if only five rounds a magazine, why the restriction on magazine size, is it purely the look.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:40 AM »
So if only five rounds a magazine, why the restriction on magazine size, is it purely the look.

What size restriction are you referring to?

It is my feeling that as Wild Bunch shooting develops, the 5 round rule may be changed to 7.  Just my thinking.

Blackfoot

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
No 8 round mags.  I thought.  I thought there was a capacity restriction, but I guess it is just looks.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »
Yep, it's so they are sorta authentic to the originals, must have the flat base. And eight round mags are allowed.
WB Shooters Handbook page 5
• Magazines must be standard length and cannot hold more than eight
rounds. No extended base pads on magazines. Empty magazines must
weigh no more than 3.0 ounces.

Offline Grapevine Jimmy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:00:44 AM »
OK, if five is the majic number, why do I have to modify my '97 to make it hold 6? Since the '97 is the only legal shotgun and we don't have to make consessions for the double folks, why do I have to alter the springs to increase it's capacity?

Grapevine Jimmy
BOLD #809
Hiram's Ranger #30
Carolina Cattlemen's Shooting & social Society
Waiting at the South Gate:"...it is good to meet you thus alone."

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »
I thought the five shot limit had to do with the fact that there are only five points on a Texas Star!  Humor me, how many rounds do the Chicom Trench Guns hold?

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:05:16 AM »
OK, if five is the majic number, why do I have to modify my '97 to make it hold 6? Since the '97 is the only legal shotgun and we don't have to make consessions for the double folks, why do I have to alter the springs to increase it's capacity?

Grapevine Jimmy

Six rounds in the 97 magazine is a personal option.  There is no requirement to do it.

Blackfoot

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
Yep, it's so they are sorta authentic to the originals, must have the flat base. And eight round mags are allowed.
WB Shooters Handbook page 5
• Magazines must be standard length and cannot hold more than eight
rounds. No extended base pads on magazines. Empty magazines must
weigh no more than 3.0 ounces.

If you going for authenticity, show me a picture of a kitted out american serviceman in the last century carrying more than 3 magazines for the Colt 1911 that he/she is carrying. Yes the 6 rds in a spring is an option, no consideration is given to the fact that if I wish to compete in the US, I'm only allowed to import a shotgun that holds 5 rds IAW BATF rules.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »
I think that alot of it comes from how the stages are written.  many are useing the same layouts as reguar SASS stages which are 2 pistol strings of 5 rou nds each, a 10 round rifle string and shotgun taget numbers divisible by 2.  idealy for wild bunch it would be pistol nstrings of 7 rounda each and 5 round shotgun stages. this would allow the guns to be used as designed.  I would like to see 5 round rifle strings and allow the win 94 in rifle calibers and other rifls of the era such as the 03 springfield, and other bolts.rifles can be loaded to CAS specs very easily.the GAF shooters do it all the time.

WBAS and local wild bunch shoots are different animals all together.  checki with yourn local groups that are shooting this and see what they do.offer to write some stages.  If there isn't one localy,  startoun and set it up they way you wnat. often local gunclubs are more than happy to sponsor new types of matcheds as long as someone steps up to ru n the thing.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 05:58:02 PM »

Grapevine Jimmy
Howdy Grapevine, long time no see :o. Come on down to the Buccaneer Range, last week we only had one stage with six shotgun, the rest were five. Pistol strings were 10, 15, and not more than 20 rounds. We shoot SASS on the 2nd Sat, then Wild Bunch on Sunday. Hope to see you soon, Good Luck :)

If you going for authenticity, show me a picture of a kitted out american serviceman in the last century carrying more than 3 magazines for the Colt 1911 that he/she is carrying. Yes the 6 rds in a spring is an option, no consideration is given to the fact that if I wish to compete in the US, I'm only allowed to import a shotgun that holds 5 rds IAW BATF rules.
Howdy Garand, I said sorta authentic ;). Nether game/sport SASS or Wild Bunch is truly authentic, SASS is based loosely around the late 1800s and TV/movie westerns, and WB is sorta based on turn of the century and the final scene of the movie. As for mags I only have four mag pouches, figure if I need any more I'll stick one in my vest pocket. My original Win 97 solid frame will hold six shotshells, but my other one I'll have to load one or get the spring kit. All in all WB is a blast to shoot ;D Good Luck :)

As the Judge once said;
"Everybody seems to think we're a period shoot, but we're not. We're a fantasy cowboy acting shoot." - Judge Roy Bean

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Aw.... come on now, the six round thing in a is only applicable to W.B., not CAS cowboy. As far as why only five rounds in a 1911 goes, that's because we don't have R.O.'s that can count on more than one hand.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »
That is because they hold the timer with the other!!!
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com