Author Topic: Your thoughts on a mag pouch  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Your thoughts on a mag pouch
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »
Our pard Will Ghormley is planning a new pattern pack of leather for the 1911 and do-it-yourself Wild Bunch shooters should be interested in it but something about it has caught my eye.  The magazine pouch he shows, called a competition style, is what I would like your opinion on.  Would you call it WB legal and if not, why?   http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1911.html

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Your thoughts on a mag pouch
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
From Page 12 of the SASS WBAS Handbook:

• At least two inches of the magazine must be covered by the magazine
pouch.

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »
If that's a snap in the middle it's O.K., but if it is a tension adjustment screw, it isn't legal, and yes, at least two inches of the mag has to be covered.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:30:22 PM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
If that's a snap in the middle it's O.K., but if it is a tension adjustment screw, it isn't legal,
Howdy, a tension adjustment screw is very much legal. Here's a quote from Happy Jack
"Here's Happy Jack's response...

Jack, I see nothing illegal about tension screws on either holsters or magazine pouches. They are LEGAL in my opinion. The WBAS committee will be meeting at the Convention and I will mention this, but I do't see any problem with them. They are normal and have been used in magazine pouches from he earliest days."

Howdy Bob, I'm not sue I like different angle of the two mags in the picture, I'd have to try one first. The ones you made for me work great.

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
Thats what caught my attention also Jefro.  Not sure if he made it to be square and that device is spreading them a bit or??  Thanks for the thumbs up Jefro and I have been playing with your holster pattern over the last day or so and will include a link so you can see where I am at.  Hope to post another photo tomorrow with a new mag pouch I am working on (pouch needs more tweeking).  Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Guys, when I asked about the tension devices there were several who sent me word that there are big name makers already incorporating them and one promotes it on his web site.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40859.0.html

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
Well, I'm with Jefro as to the 2 different angles on the mag pouch. I like all my mags to be oriented exactly the same. Makes for better muscle memory for me during mag changes. Keeping the same angle also lessens the distance that the mags take up on my belt making for an easier reach for mag changes. My first mag is stationed just left of belly button and sixth mag is about 90 degrees at 9 o'clock. With the 2 angle mag pouches, I think the sixth mag would be hard to reach over my back pocket.
Just my opinion though as I've never tried the 2 angle pouches.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
Guys, my fear was that they might not be legal.  Would the slight 'V' angle on these be be legal?

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
Guys, my fear was that they might not be legal.  Would the slight 'V' angle on these be be legal?
The pertinent rule would be:
"Magazine pouches must be worn vertical and conform to the shooters body(i.e. not tilt out from the shooters body)."
In my un-official opinion they would qualify as "vertical" and be legal.
If you are really want an "official" ruling, you should email one of the Rules Committe Members.

KingSnake

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:32 AM »
Just posted these two pics, on the leather board, of some WB brainstorming I have been doing over the last few days.  As you can see they are not finished but do show up well for the camera.  The holster is 6-7oz over a 4-5oz liner and has all the bells and whistles, including flaired mouth, slight toe forward cant and the grip is pitched slightly out from the body.  Some of this is not needed for a WB holster but it doesnt hurt to have it.

The mag pouch will get a completey new makeover, though it performs great like it is.  The bottom tension screw will get removed from the front and the top one will be raised a bit more, so that a large US or CS stamp will fit.  The double straps on the back will be changed to one wider one for sure.   I could reduce the height by perhaps a quarter to a half inch and still fit a two inch belt but will probably not go that far.  Later.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:48:49 PM »
Slowhand Bob

Make me one with the grip above the belt line and I'm your Huckleberry!

I'm used to getting a full shooting grip on my 1911s from my IPSC roots and I just can't adapt to jamming my thumb between the grip and the holster for a draw.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 09:01:41 PM »
Sounds like you were a fan of the Chapman Hi-Ride?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »
Slowhand

Yep! Still have my Davis and Sparks leather holsters, dating from the era when IPSC was truly "practical".
I never wore a Chapman "Hi-Ride" as I was happy with the above, but many did. It was about the best value for the money on the market for a production holster.

I had the pleasure of meeting the late Milt Sparks twice - once in Canada at our National Championship and once in his shop in Idaho. Took a while to find him as the only sign was his name on the mailbox! We saw a UPS truck stop at the shop, so we followed. I asked how people found him, and he said - "Well, you found me." While there, we met a Chicago detective who told us a story .....

He had just testified in a case where he shot and wounded the suspect after he was robbed of his wallet. He told the court that before he fired, he ID'd himself as a cop, but the suspect kept running. The suspect's version went - "All I heard was 'Guess who?', muthaf____r!'; and then the lights went out."

It was deemed a 'righteous' shooting by the court. He was in Idaho for a custom order holster. Said he wouldn't use anything else.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
Guys sorry to desert my post but I am down for a few days.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »
"Vertical" means conforming to the body.  In other words, mags cannot hang OUT from the body.  Although, with some of our bodies, the mags can be flopping pretty far out there and still "conform" to the body -- the body is flopping out there too.

The "V" in the pouches pictured is not an issue as far as the rules go.  However, that design would make grabbing magazines more difficult under the pressure of competition.

So, they're legal but not desirable from a functional perspective.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:54:48 AM »
Guys, sorry I just found this one again, I had lost my favorite little companion of many years the night before my last post. She will be remembered and missed.

I have taken my patterns a little beyond what I was working on at the time and have a couple of new ideas that I am still playing with.  One that I just finished is shown in another post here, with its holster.  As to the old ones with the V orientation, I checked these with Happy Jack and he says they are illegal and must hang vertically towards the ground, no built in angle by design.  On the two inch rule he says this is measured up from the lowest tip, bullet end, of the empty magazine to the pouch top.  Now do not ask me about fancy scalloped cut outs in the top of the magazine but I would guess the lowest point would be what you would have to measure against?  I hope to have a couple of new pouch designs to show in the next few days and will post pictures.

Happier days when she was little more than a pup.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com