Author Topic: Wild Bunch Hat  (Read 24560 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Wild Bunch Hat
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 08:36:19 PM »
Hi, today's are Stratton hats, and they have four vent holes, and plastic lined slots for the hat band to go through.  I briefly owned one for Scouts.  I ended up ordering a Jaxonbilt hat (www. jaxonbilthats.com) Montana peak.  He's a custom maker and can produce anything you ask for. 

I bet Tim Bender could make you a very good Montana peak in his sand color that would last forever.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS
I tried to find them on the Naval Exchange web site, to no avail ended up buying a Cover from Sgt Grit, does not have a brand name just XXX beaver quality on the hat band and a made in the usa notation on the size tag.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

1961MJS

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
Hi

Bender hats:  http://www.benderhats.com/

Jaxonbilt hats:  http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/

Stratton Hats:  http://www.strattonhats.com/

Hope this helps the next guys.

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
Lets talk hat sizes, as that is always a pia for me to mail order them.  Some years back I had a hat maker tell me that my size was a 7 1/8 oval.  Now days I find that very few hats will fit well based on hat sizes and just a little off seems to count a lot in comfort.  Most often it does seem that the 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 are best but how do you handle mail order with this size variation and fit does vary from maker to maker?  Is it better to go a bit large and try to tuck a filler inside or go small and try to steam stretch to a better fit?  Is steam stretching the cheaper campaign hats even viable and how does one do it? 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:38:29 PM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:38 AM »
Lets talk hat sizes, as that is always a pia for me to mail order them.  Some years back I had a hat maker tell me that my size was a 7 1/8 oval.  Now days I find that very few hats will fit well based on hat sizes and just a little off seems to count a lot in comfort.  Most often it does seem that the 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 are best but how do you handle mail order with this size variation and fit does vary from maker to maker?  Is it better to go a bit large and try to tuck a filler inside or go small and try to steam stretch to a better fit?  Is steam stretching the cheaper campaign hats even viable and how does one do it? 

It's a problem.  There is some variation between makers, and you will also find that hat size charts don't alway agree.  Best is to take a careful measurement with a good cloth tape and let the maker select the size based on the measurement.  That said, you must know whether you are a standard or long oval.   Most quality hats will take a bit of stretching with no problem, provided you use a proper hat jack and go SLOWLY.  Too fast and too much will break the stitching in the sweatband and deform the brim.  I use a tea kettle to steam hats in order to reblock or stretch.  Some folks spray the hat with distilled water, shape and let dry.  It is important that the hat jack be left in place until the hat relaxes into the new size.  With a campaign hat, you will need to steam the brim and have some way to hold in down flat and smooth, or you will get a swoop!  Some of the folks who sell campaign hats also sell a form or carrier that keeps the brim squared away.

I once read an account of how Tom Mix ordered a new Stetson, and when it was delivered to his dressing room he was taking a shower.  The fella that brought in the hat called to him that he would leave it, and Mix told him to bring it in.  He did so, and Mix put it on his head and went on with his shower.

Here's a video of Roy Rogers showing how he blocked his hats.  Note the running shower!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:55 AM »
I bought one of the $300.00 ones from "What price glory". It was shipped in from Dubai! What an expensive mistake, first day I wore it we had an exceptionally heavy rain shower during the match and it just died within seconds. Lesson learned.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24:56 AM »
I bought one of the $300.00 ones from "What price glory". It was shipped in from Dubai! What an expensive mistake, first day I wore it we had an exceptionally heavy rain shower during the match and it just died within seconds. Lesson learned.

Ouch! :o  I think I would have a "conversation" with WPG. >:( 
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
yeah OUCH!

300 would buy a lot of hat at a custom shop. All the mentioned and others
Mathew 5.9

1961MJS

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »

Hi

If this is the US M1911 Campaign Hat from WPG, it is SUPPOSED to be Nutria.  Nutria is an animal fur between Rabbit and Beaver in durability and beauty.  A Nutria hat should have weathered the rain with few if any problems.  I note that WPG carries both a nutria and a wool campaign hat.  EXACTLY what happened when your hat got wet and then dried?

Did the brim get wavy?  Did the crown become a lot more tapered?  Did the hat shrink?  Did the hat just droop?

If you answer these, we can probably tell which animal your hat is made from.   :D
Is there a hat shop in your area, they MAY be able to help.

Mike

1961MJS

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Lets talk hat sizes, as that is always a pia for me to mail order them.  Some years back I had a hat maker tell me that my size was a 7 1/8 oval.  Now days I find that very few hats will fit well based on hat sizes and just a little off seems to count a lot in comfort.  Most often it does seem that the 7 1/8 or 7 1/4 are best but how do you handle mail order with this size variation and fit does vary from maker to maker?  Is it better to go a bit large and try to tuck a filler inside or go small and try to steam stretch to a better fit?  Is steam stretching the cheaper campaign hats even viable and how does one do it?  

Hi

Roy Jackson (Jaxonbilt) and Major Moore (Buckaroo Hatters) will send you a conformer (odd looking torture device made to get the shape of your head). and you find your head size and send it back.  Another method is to take 12/2 With Ground romex wire and wrap it around your head.  Draw the shape of your head on cardboard, but it out a little on the small side, and cut until the cardboard fits your head.  Send the cardboard hat in to your custom hat maker.  

Trying on hats at your local Western store is good, but not a great way of determining your hat size.  One reason to buy a custom hat is if you're say half way between 7 3/8 and  7 1/2.  In most felt hats, you're better off to buy a larger hat and put some foam inside the hat band.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
Hi

If this is the US M1911 Campaign Hat from WPG, it is SUPPOSED to be Nutria.  Nutria is an animal fur between Rabbit and Beaver in durability and beauty.  A Nutria hat should have weathered the rain with few if any problems.  I note that WPG carries both a nutria and a wool campaign hat.  EXACTLY what happened when your hat got wet and then dried?

Did the brim get wavy?  Did the crown become a lot more tapered?  Did the hat shrink?  Did the hat just droop?

If you answer these, we can probably tell which animal your hat is made from.   :D
Is there a hat shop in your area, they MAY be able to help.

Mike

The complete brim got droopy and wavy. After the hat dried out, the wife went to work on it with an iron and restored some semblence of the hat.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

1961MJS

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

The complete brim got droopy and wavy. After the hat dried out, the wife went to work on it with an iron and restored some semblence of the hat.

Hi

I suggest that you email WPG with what the label says inside the hat.  In general, Fur Felt hats are made of Fur because animal fur sheds water.  It sounds plausible that Jerry sent you a wool hat instead of a Nutria one.  He sells both.  My wool one did what  yours did, but it only cost me $65.00 and lasted 4 years.  If you look at the WPG site, I own a British Bush hat, but not the Akubra.  The Pugaree sticks out about a half inch front and back because the crown tapered in the rain. 

If you're not successful with Jerry, you might try Tom Bender and tell him exactly what you want.  He has inexpensive fur felt and the basic Montana peak isn't that difficult. 

Hope this helps out a little. 

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline TUCO

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »
 Took Pancho Peacemaker advice, was in the area last week, I have a buddy that live in Plano,Tx  just north of Garland. Stop there last Tuesday and again Friday. Ended up with 3 new hats. Hats ran from low as $25.00 up to $400.00 range. Depends on deep your pocketbook is. RISISTOL/STETSON FACTORY OUTLET STORE 721 MARION DR GARLAND, TX 75042 972-494-0337.
ever in the area, you need to stop in. Hours is 9a-6p  :D

1961MJS

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:46 PM »
Hi

You might also try a Hammer Plastics Trooper hat carrier.  I'd give you the exact link, but I can't do that anymore at work.  They make a plastic two piece toy that will flatten your campaign hat from the top and bottom, leaving the crown alone.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Found this one on ebay some time ago.  Not sure of the age/year, but the felt is thin and pliable, so you can wear the brim anyway the spirit moves you.  The original Sweatband was rotted out, so I had a hatter put in a new one.  Nice light weight hat. :)

GAF

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Nice Griz, has lots of character
Mathew 5.9

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 01:08:32 PM »
Nice Griz, has lots of character

Thanks Rooster.  Wife says the same thing when I wear it, but I'm not sure she's talking about the hat! :D
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com