Author Topic: Wild Bunch .45 Manufacturer's  (Read 46926 times)

DUKE DEADEYE NUKEM

Re: Wild Bunch .45 Manufacturer's
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
In the few Wild Bunch type matches I have shot so far, I have used my very nice 1914-production WWI-Canadian-purchase Commercial model .... see first pic below .... but, as you may imagine, I have been cringing somewhat while doing so.

I have been wanting to get a plain-jane mil-spec 1911 clone for such shooting.  Up here in Canada, the best choice for an economical pistol would be a Norinco, the mil-spec version of which is available new for Can$350 or so!  The downside of a Norinco is that I wouldn't be able to to get it into the U.S., as they are disallowed by the ATF on import permit.

I recently learned of another relatively inexpensive make of mil-spec 1911A1 clone, the "Regent" .... which is manufactured in Turkey and imported into North America by IAC. I did some checking online, and user-reports have been pretty favorable.   Yesterday, I broke down and bought one .... see the second pic below (which is a "stock" photo, although my pistol looks just like it.)

Haven't taken any photos of mine, nor have I had an opportunity to fire it ..... though I expect to correct that deficiency on Friday.  I will undoubtedly want to substitute a flat mainspring housing, and will eventually put on some nicer grips.

These pistols are available in the US from several online dealers in the US$400 price range.

Keep us posted on the progress RJ and Thanks.

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 01:16:36 AM »
After the rain let up, I did manage to get out to the range late this afternoon and put about a hundred rounds through my new Regent 1911A1 pistol.  As anticipated from the other reports I had read, it functioned flawlessly with three different types of ammunition (all with 230gr bullets) - Remington FMJ, American Eagle FMJ, and Ultramax round nose lead.  Matter of fact, I intentionally loaded several mags with an alternating mix of these three different cartridges, and it digested them all without so much as a hiccup ....

I did experience three failures to feed with some handloads a fellow gave me last year, but I fully expected that, since they are semi-wadcutter loads with the wadcutter shoulder seated a bit too deep and absolutely no crimp. However, the pistol can't be faulted - I actually experienced a noticeably higher rate of FTF problems with these loads in my near-pristine 1914-production Colt Government Model (and accordingly had simply set them aside.)   I'll run the remaining couple of hundred of those rounds through on my press to try to put a slight crimp on the case mouths .....

As with just about any pistol "right out of the box", trigger pull could be improved - but it is actually so much nicer than my unaltered 1914 Colt that I am happy with it "as is" ....

Today was strictly a quick "function test", so I wasn't really trying for an assessment of accuracy.  However, it does seem pretty clear that this pistol will definitely put them where they need to go if I do my part.

I am pleased!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 09:24:24 AM »

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2010, 08:00:44 AM »
RSJ, that is quite a website you have going there. The clip art alone is amazing! It looks like you are a real pro when it comes to costuming; great choices.

I'm glad to hear the new 1911 is working out, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2010, 01:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, JD.  I put a lot of time into the website to get it established .... but it is long overdue for an overhaul, I'm afraid .....
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
45 Assembled from Sarco Parts
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »
Anyone out there with any experience with assembling a SARCO 1911?  Rumor has it they have RIA aka Armscor frames and Slides.
Thinking about using one of their roto barrels.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2011, 04:19:42 PM »
Ok, I don't shoot in this but do carry daily concealed. I have an Armscor/RIA made 1911 CS (compact) that I love. I also have a full size Springfield Loaded Parkerized version that is also nice. Now both of these guns are not period correct but are tack drivers. The Armscor/RIA are forged frames but to me it is pretty much the same argument as MIM parts. To me if it holds up, goes bang when the trigger is pulled, accurate with not malfunctions then really what more can one ask. I wouldn't trade either for any other brands. Plain and simple both have given me value for dollars spent. Oh and the RIA/Armscor 1911 sell for the most part under $500 so they in my IMHO are one of the best values per dollar there is.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
Not so much concerned about the slide, frame or the roto barrel, was actually more interested in obtaining info from those who have used Sarco internal parts.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
I bought a Cimarron 1911 this week.  I've been lusting after one of these since I first saw them.  I was torn between the high-polish blue and the nickled model, as both are gorgeous.  This is the first gun I've bought in 6 years.  Couldn't really afford it but they are on sale through January and I couldn't pass it up.  I've had a Kimber Compact Aluminum for a dozen years but have never had a Government model.  I know a nickle gun isn't the best choice for competition but I'm not all that competitive anyway, and it will be a while before I have a '97 and leather for the WB game.

It is made by Armsor to Cimarron's specs.  The polishing and plating is done by Ford Plating in Florida.  I think this gun is as close as you can get to a WW1 model without spending a lot more money, although it does have some more modern features.  Cimarron is calling it a 1911A1, but the frame is 1911, not A1 (no bevels behind the trigger).  Authentic WW1 features are the frame, long trigger, patent dates, flat mainspring housing, lanyard ring, small sights, and double-diamond grips.  But it has the A1 grip safety with the longer tang, more modern thumb safety, and the ejection port is lowered (but doesn't have the "flare" at the rear).  These non-authentic features do make it more user friendly, I guess kind of like the Italians adding gas rings to Opentops  ;)  Also, the hammer spur isn't as wide as the originals.  

The trigger is decent but does have a tiny bit of creep.  I shot it today for the first time.  Accuracy was good although there were a couple of feed problems.  This may have been magazine related, although Chris at Cimarron told me that some of the nickle guns have had a bit of feed issues.  I was actually kind of hoping it would be that way, because when they send them back to Armscor they get a mini-action job.  :)

1911S

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »
Abilene, that sure is a purdy 1911 ya got there  :o.  Once upon a time I had a Colt Gov Model in bright stainless but had to let it go during hard times.  Tried to replace it a few months ago but couldn't find one so I bought a beadblast stainless Ed Brown.  It's a purdy gun too but not as shiny as I like em.  Got my eyes on a Dan Wesson in stainless, hope to get it in a few weeks.

BTW...feed problems on a 1911 are often caused by "cheap" magazines.  I recommend you try a Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick magazine.  I think Brownells.com carries both of them.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1224
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
1911S, yeah mags do tend to be the weak point of many 1911's (as well as others).  When I got the gun back from Armscor it has run without a hitch with several of the ACT-MAG magazines, although I do intend to get some others because that lanyard ring is not easy on the palm  :D  People often recommend the Chip McCormick mags but the McCormick Shooting Star mags that came with my Kimber some years ago were not so reliable.  Wilson Combat mags run great in that one, though.

I dressed up my 1911 just a bit more with some burl grips:

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »

By lawrence9 at 2011-10-23

My "Wild Bunch" guns, the top one was built in 1913, the next 3 were built in 1914. All seen action on the Western Front in 1915. Of course they are all Colt's and definitely period correct! Number 4 is my main match gun, with Number 1 as my backup.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Mule Ear Mortensen

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »
Garand, nice battery you have there!

Two questions for you ( maybe three ).

1) have they ever bit you and drawn blood?

2) Is #4 your match gun because it has an A1style grip safety (is that just an illusion?)?

3) Do you ever long to send one out into the world because I would love to help you with that?!?! ;D
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
3) Do you ever long to send one out into the world because I would love to help you with that?!?! ;D

Not likely .....  ;)

I joke with Garand that he wants to accumulate as many 1914 Government Models as possible, arising out of a case of severe 'pistol envy', because he can't find one like my 1914 Canadian-purchase Colt ..... so he must go for 'quantity' over 'quality' ....  (evil chuckle   ;D ) -

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Holy $h**Rattlesnake Jack!  :o

Did you procure that beauty with the help of your secret home made time machine, or what?! That looks like it is in better condition then the new Colt WWI reissues I've been lusting after!

By the way, I don't play favorites... I'll offer to help you in the same way I offered Garand!  ;)

STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »
..... Did you procure that beauty with the help of your secret home made time machine, or what?! That looks like it is in better condition then the new Colt WWI reissues I've been lusting after! .....

Something like that!   ;D

Seriously .... it came from an old gentleman who, as a newly commissioned Canadian Army Lieutenant in 1943, had heard the tales of how anemic the standard British/Commonwealth .380 service ammunition was and decided to get something with more stopping power, by availing himself of the option commissioned officers had of privately purchasing their own sidearm.  He bought this piece from a family friend who,  as a Canadian Army Service Corps Major during WWI, had purchased it directly from the Canadian Government - one of 5,000 Commercial Models acquired by the Government in 1914.  The WWI Major only served for about a year or so in Europe before being released for ill health (he was well up in his 50's at that time) so this pistol saw little if any service use by him, and then it had simply sat among his possessions until 1943.  The WWII Lieutenant never saw action, and the pistol then sat unused among his belongings until ten years ago, when I got it from him.

As for condition .... Garand will attest that the 98% or so original high-polish fire blue finish (which is how all of the Canadian-purchase pistols were finished, apparently) is indeed absolutely gorgeous.   (The above photo was taken outdoors on a "cloudy bright" late autumn day .... and what might appear to be streaking/mottling on the slide finish is, in fact, the reflection of bare tree branches overhead!)

The original leather holster owned by the WWI Major is still with the pistol, and is marked under the flap as follows:
MAJ. W.A. MITCHELL
   O/C No 5 COY
      2nd DIV TRAIN
         C.E.F.

I have acquired a copy of the entire Canadian Expeditionary Force service record of  Major William Arthur Mitchell, and he is mentioned at several points in the official War Diary of the Army Service Corps Divisional Train of the 2nd Canadian Division ..... including on this page, where his assumption of command of No. 5 Company is noted:

(Click on thumbnail to access full-size image ....)

Needless to say, I am proud to be the current custodian of this pistol.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
...And every once in a while some little old lady advertises that old chevy that her son left in her garage before her son left for Viet Nam, and and some guy buys that as new 1967 Corvette for $200.

I keep thinking someday I'll find that 1969 Trans Am Convertable too. ::) 8)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »
Garand, nice battery you have there!

Two questions for you ( maybe three ).

1) have they ever bit you and drawn blood?

2) Is #4 your match gun because it has an A1style grip safety (is that just an illusion?)?

Never have they bitten me, no A1 style grip safety, please check your perscription, sorry no plans to buy sell. In 1914 the Canadian gov't purchased 5,000 Colt 1911's, I have only 4,996 more to buy! As I consider Grant a close friend who has helped me time and time again while comparing our Canadian contract models in his kitchen with his detailed knowledge, I am hoping that he will chose to leave me his 1914 when he passes. He is very correct in saying, that since I first held his 1911 Canadian Contract pistol, that I have severe "PISTOL Envy".
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
RSJ, yes I noticed that fabulous mirror like finish! Nice pistol!

Garand, fair enough just looked a little larger somehow. Oh, and good luck with the other 4,996.  :D Sure is a nice collection!
STORM # 360
HENRY # 145
SCORRS
RATS # 680

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
I had the opportunity to shoot the Montana State Championships with Wild Bunch as a side match this weekend. I came 3rd place in traditional, not bad for a 98 year old pistol with really HORRIBLE rear sights :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/2012mtstateshoot129a.jpg/
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com