Author Topic: "Shooters" 58 opinions please ?  (Read 4980 times)

Alabama

"Shooters" 58 opinions please ?
« on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:31 PM »
What do you feel about the " Shooters " pistols that won the Medals in Germany and such that have the proggressive rfiling , deep .008 with 1 in 30 twist , 5 land 5 groove  ?
They want a pretty penny for one that's for sure , and its Pietta too, which aint a bad thing . It does have a dovetail front sight though and a claimed ZERO play cylinder lock-up , back and forth too .
Would be nice to have a really accurate 58 in the collection , so am thinking about buying one, but wanted your opinions first .
I really like the Silver plated trigger guard on it too .

Thanks, Alabama

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Shooters" 58 opinions please ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:38:20 AM »
Hi Alabama, a friend of mine used to have one of these. He tried all sorts of permutations of powders, balls, wads, fillers ,picket bullets etc and never was satisfied with the results. Whether they have changed anything since he had his (now sold) I don't know, but were it me, I would want to try one out first, before parting with any money. He never would let anyone else try and make it work so my practical experience of this model is nil, but I could never understand the need for the progressive rifling.
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:36:59 AM »
I bought one back in the early 1990's when I was shooting NSSA competition. I also had a Ball conversion Rogers and Spencer which was supposed to be the ultimate. Frankly, I could not shoot either one very well. Ended up selling both and buying a standard  :)Uberti 1858 and won a silver medal in my class at National Skirmish. Recently, I acquired another Shooter's Special (Deluxe Remington) for pennies on the dollar. I ended up selling it because for CAS, it just wasn't appropriate. This revolver is made for the expert slow fire off-hand shooter such as NSSA shoots. Its advantages are wasted at the distances and speeds which we shoot in SASS, etc. If it were me, I'd either buy a set of Piettas and have the front sight dovetailed and replaced with Uberti front sights from VTI, or buy a couple of Ubertis and pocket a few coins in savings. IMHO, the Shooter's Special offers little to the Cowboy Shooter over the stock models.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:49:45 AM »

Offline oam

• Citizen
    • http://urrp.free.fr/en
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »
hello,

ho ho...my first post here...

I've tested this kind of pietta, the zero play cylinder is not a legend. My friend who bought it is not very staisfied with. To find a difference between the standard pietta (or uberti) you need to use ogival bullet , not round bullet. (that's what he said) .
so it seems to be too expensive for the little advantage in target.

I heard that genuine remington 1858 have the progressive rifling , is it true ?  ??? thanks
another message wich cross the atlantique...

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the input here everyone .
I heard too that it took one of the guys a .463 bullet of some sort ( wish i knew if it was conical or hollow base ? ) to achieve his MOA on the gun , so it tells me the groove and land difference between current standard stock and this gun is substantial .
And yes I do believe the originals are Proggressive Rifled for sure .
I would never want one of these for CASS SASS anyway , just for serious slow target work or hunting .

Alabama , Jury is still out for deliberations on this topic for me

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »
Try the conical bullets that Cabelas sells in your standard Pietta '58 and see if that shoots good enought to suit you.  Mine shoots fantastic with the conicals.  Certainly good enough for anything I would ever want to shoot including hunting.  They are hollow base. 

Good shootin', . . .
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »
   I've had mine for at least a dozen years and I like it very well.  Haven't had any trouble with it, I can hit well with it and I like the feel.  I didn't realize they had gone up as much as they have, though.  My current Dixie catalog lists them for about $675, if I remember correctly. 

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Alabama

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »
Thanks Jubel Starbuck ,
Dixie has them on sale for $595 , is what sparked my interest in them this time. I have always wanted one , but the cost kept me away . Now its very tempting at that price .
Just wanted to hear some first hand experience and some un-first hand and weigh it all out before I decide .
What bullets do you shoot and size if you want to tell me , I would greatly appreciate that part of your messege too .

Thanks, Alabama ,,, Jury is still out

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
Oringinal Remington Armys and Navys (and Colt Armys and Navys too) have gain twist rifling. The twist starts off slow at the breech and wraps up toward the muzzle. Grooves are very slightly deeper at the breech, but I wouldn't call them progressive depth. If you're ever at a gun show looking at a suspect Remington or Colt, check for the gain twist rifling. If the gun in question doesn't have this feature, it's for sure not an original.

Alabama

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »
Good to know , Arizona Trooper ,
I thought I read here somewhere it was progressive by one of the more knowledgable people here ?
For now, I will retract my previous un-enlightened statement of it being proggressive in the old Remingtons , for sure .

Thanks, Alabama

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
     Alabama:  I shoot .457 round balls, dead soft, and they work well for me.  Remington #10 caps work best, as I recall.

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Alabama

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »
Jubal Starbuck ,

Thanks Sir  ;D

Alabama

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 03:30:33 PM »
Alabama, it is progressive in a way, progressivly increasing twist. Sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what a body's driving at, so I thought I'd post that comment.

Alabama

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »
Gotcha Trooper, thanks  ;D

Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com