Author Topic: Trigger question on 1858  (Read 6128 times)

Alabama

Trigger question on 1858
« on: August 31, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »
Hi there ,
have any of you put a slight bend in your triggers , so when its cocked it sits a bit farther back in the trigger guard ?
I don't find that my repro's are all that comfy when they are cocked ? Not sure how the real old Remingtons were this way , but the repros to me have the trigger sitting at an uncomfortable bend and it is far from flat to my trigger finger when cocked  ?
That is my only complaint on the repro Remingtons , but it is a small one at that, but I would like to know if anyone has done a  mod and to what hardness you re-hardened the trigger to after you heated and bent it ??? Or can it be done at all ? Or does anyone else notice that the angle sucks as it is on repros ?????? There is ample room to make a new curve , but can it be done is the question . I would liek it to sit like the trigger inmy Rogers and Spencer, now that is perfect and flat to my finger when at full cock just like I think it should be on all my repro Remingtons .

Alabama

Offline John Taylor

• Top Active Citizen
    • Taylor Machine
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trigger question on 1858
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:56:27 AM »
everything below the pivot point does not need to be hard so heat it up and bend it quick so the other end don't get to hot. I did solder a piece of brass to the trigger guard on one to stop the over travel but never bent one. Make sure you don't bend it to far, check the gap behind the trigger when the hammer is down.
John Taylor, gunsmith

Alabama

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 10:38:38 AM »
Thanks John ,
I guess I could actually use a heat sink if I am worried about heat huh ? Heck , why not , just got to figure out how to attach one ?
I do have a bolt heat sink from brownells , Hmmmm ?????

Thanks , Alabama

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:56:50 PM »

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »
How about cutting part way through the trigger with a Dremmel where you want the bend? Clamp the portion that you want to remain hard in a vice. Minimal heat would be required to bend the thin remaining area. After bending, a quick weld with a MIG or TIG and filing to fit should do the job.

YMMV :P
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Alabama

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
That would work too Bull Schmitt , still laughing hee hee hee  ;D
I am curous though if I am the only one that doesn't like the triggers set-up , stock ????
Appears to be that way .  8)
I am going to try this , one of your ideas , or maybe both on a couple of my cheaper Piettas first .

Alabama

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »
I'll have to check mine, it seems I recall the Pietta coming to a more uncomfortable cocked position than the Uberti, but it might be just the finish (or lack of it) in the bottom tip of the trigger itself.  If it's too short, your finger can get pinched between the trigger and the bottom of the triggerguard, and some triggers are sharp at the bottom front edge.

Many triggers come up, as you say, set up too far forward when cocked, creating a long reach, and too small a space for the finger.

Maybe I can come up with a fix for it, I need parts and/or services to sell.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Alabama

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
That is exactly what I am talking about Flint , you got it dead center there !
When its cocked , the trigger is not back far enough , and is at a NON-flat to finger position . It is cocked forward too much at an angle . It isn't because I cannot reach it anywhere , but the bottom of the trigger is not where the top of my trigger finger is . My finger is not flat on the whole surface , it hits the bottom of the trigger first , which is very uncomfortable for me to shoot it . Not too mention I am loosing accuracy no doubt because of it . I want a flat wide trigger like on the Rogers and Spencer , but I want it on my Remingtons , and I want it to fit my finger flat when i go to squeeze the derned thing .Its really simple , jsut have to design or modify something to do it . I am sure a newly designed trigger would be best ( that's where you come in Flint ) .
But I may try to bend one up too , or bend it down should I say .

Alabama

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:07:43 PM »
I never considered there to be any difficulty with the triggerd on amy of my '58s.   Just experimented with the one I have with me and do not see / feel any problem with where it sits cocked.  Haven't had the chance to handle an original.  Almost did a couple of years ago, . . but RESISTED. . . I knew if I'd had it in my hand I would not have let the dealer put it back in the case, . . it WOUDA BEEN MINE !  I had the money and really, really couldn't afford to spend it on a pistol.  Damn ! . . . .  >:(anyhow, . . an interesting thread, . . .

Good shootin', . . . . wherever your trigger is at . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
Mine are Ubertis. I never noticed anything amiss with them but pulled them out anyway to take a look. The trigger with the hammer down goes almost all the way back in the trigger guard when you pull it. I cocked it and it went to exactly the same position and when pulled, went all the way to the same position in the guard. You wouldn't be able to make any appreciable difference without hitting the trigger guard and causing a problem. There doesn't appear to be any way to bend them rearward unless you modified the trigger guard, too. Maybe my fingers are narrower than yours or something but I don't see any problem.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Alabama

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 11:47:22 PM »
Different trigger strokes for different trigger folks Marshal , but you do bring up a good point , the Uberti is better than my Piettas at trigger postion at least on my Uberti's and my Piettas , but it still isn't where " I " want it , and there is definately room to move it , cock it , and pull it with just a slight bend to make it right for me , on mine that tis .

Thanks, Sincerely, Alabama

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 07:03:58 AM »
Maybe you could build up the top part instead of bending it rearward. If you do make any mods, I'd be interested is seeing a pic of it. Hope you get it to your liking.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Alabama

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
Good idea too there Marshal Will Wingam .
Thanks, Sincerely, Alabama

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com