Author Topic: "Hell To Pay"  (Read 15866 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
"Hell To Pay"
« on: October 13, 2005, 12:30:52 PM »
Anyone seen it yet? Whatcha think? Any good?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
Re: "Hell To Pay"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 03:06:16 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to at some point.  It has William Smith in it and not the rapper!   I am not a person who often hobknobs with the famous, but I have ran across a few famous people in the years.  As a kid, in the spans of ages 11-16, I met Forrest Tucker, with Larry Storch, both nice guys, I was with my dad, who was also named Forrest.  Mr. Tucker was quite the drinker and I thought after spending an hour with them that I was going to have to help dad to the plane.  Anyway, back on topic.  I also met William Smith.  You will not find a nicer, but more intimidating man in the world.  He scared the beep out of me, and nearly brok my had when he shook it and I am not a small guy.   I look forward to hearing abou it.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 07:21:22 PM »
You can watch the trailers here

http://www.helltopay.us/TRAILERS.html

They're pretty funny!
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:38:10 PM »

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 09:50:36 AM »
I received the DVD in the mail and trying to decide if I want to spend $20. That's more than I've ever spent fer a VHS or DVD movie. I could send it back unopened and pay nothing. Just trying to decide if I want to spend $20 to see if it is a dud or not.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 08:02:25 AM »
I just watched the Trailer on line and it looks pretty good to me. I just ordered a copy on line from PayPal. It think it is worth the price of $20. I can't wait to receive it and watch on my TV.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 09:11:54 PM »
Slim, open it up and watch it, if you don't like it, I'll send you twenty buck plus shipping, it's a no lose situation there for you....
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 08:47:37 AM »
Well, Wymore and y'all, I watched it on Saturday night. I guess I should have said, "I suffered through it." Don't waste your money on it.  I will give a more complete review of it when I get time.

Slim

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 12:13:11 PM »
Thanks for the report, Slim. I wasn't impressed by the trailer, but now I can put that question to rest. :)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline West Longer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »
Is this movie going to be out in the video stores or do you have to order it to see it.
Happy Trails & Shoots
West Longer

SASS 46427  LASSOOS #77
Bold 339       BOSS #143
Warthog
NRA
SUDDS #52
RATS #205
P.W.D.F.R. #114

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 12:58:27 PM »
You'll have to order it.  As the bad reviews come in, it's doubtful you'll ever find it at Blockbuster.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 09:00:14 PM »
I saw the trailer playing at EOT this year.  I think it's neat that somebody put a movie together with us in mind, but it did not look like something that peeked my interest after watching the trailer.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "Hell To Pay" - Review
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:28:28 AM »
Before I get to my review of the movie, I need to mention a few things. First, I am not a professional movie critic nor do I play one on T.V. Second, I was not a Theatre major in college. Third, these are my thoughts of this movie not the staff or management of CAS City.

This movie’s timeframe is just after the American Civil War. So, I was looking at the authenticity of clothing, firearms, etc. As far as I could see, the firearms were authentic for the time-period. There were caplock rifles, Henry rifles, Colt’s percussion pistols, and Remington percussion pistols. As for clothing, there was authentic clothing and non-authentic clothing. For instance, the heroine’s father was pretty much dressed authentically. But, one guy was wearing black modern jeans. There were shirts and blouses that were not buttoned all the way to the top. This was not an acceptable practice of the time-period. There were hats that were not authentic. On the website, it states, “…Hell To Pay delightfully revives the great B Movie Western…” The problem I see is the director couldn’t decide if he was making a B Western or a more authentic movie like “Last Stand at Saber River”, “Crossfire Trail”, “Monte Walsh”, etc. Also, I saw a glaring mistake, as far as I could tell, the “piano” player in the saloon was actually playing an organ with piano music coming from it.

As for the acting in the movie, I will try to put it nicely; some people shouldn’t try to act before a camera. The well known actors did a pretty good job as did some of the “newcomers”, but some people obviously had no acting training. The director should have done a better job at coaching the non-professional actors so it didn’t look like a Middle School play. I feel sorry for the good actors that were a part of the production because this will not help their careers.

Some of the scenes were filmed poorly. One scene was of people in a buckboard. The camera was somewhat facing the sun and sunbursts appear on the screen. In another scene when the heroine is running down the boardwalk, the screen has a yellow tint. During one of the gun-fight scenes, the camera panned back and forth quickly between the combatants, which was irritating.

The music in the movie did not add to it. It actually was irritating, because for most of the movie it didn’t stop. In some parts it was hard to hear the dialogue. It was just background noise.

One more thing, on one or maybe two occasions, it shows the deliberate shooting of a woman. This was very disturbing to my wife and me. I understand that the director was trying to convince the audience to the shooter was a despicable man, but that was over the line.

I think someone tried to make a fun movie, but they sorely missed the mark.

BTW, this was not the director’s first project. Here’s a link to his projects. http://imdb.com/name/nm0570730/

Slim

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 04:36:10 PM »
Thanks for your opinions of the movie, Slim. I appreciate it. That seems to confirm my impressions of it that I got from the trailer. I'll wait to see it until I can borrow it or something.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • The frozen tundra of Madison, Wi
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 09:53:44 PM »
Slim,
Wish you had contacted me before wasting $20 (or more importantly, 2 hours of your life!) :D  My wife got it for me for Christmas but I was the one who got the mail and like an idiot opened it up.  So we decided to watch it.  I stuck it out to the end, but she went to bed after an hour.  She at least got an extra hour of sleep :D :D

I posted a review on IMDB and it will probably get me blacklisted by SASS! ;D

Some of the sucking up to Evil Roy, etc on the SASS wire is enough to make even me Puke!  At least one pard was brave enough to voice his opine that it really was a stinker of a film.

Do you think I should shrink wrap mine and give it to "Hang Um High" for a door prize or would I get a "Spirit of the Game" penalty?? ;D ;D
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 09:43:51 AM »
Punkin Dog,
Go fer it.  ;D
The producer and director should get a "Spirit of the Game" penalty.  >:(

Slim

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 03:15:54 PM »
BTW, this was not the director’s first project. Here’s a link to his projects. http://imdb.com/name/nm0570730/

Slim

I looked up some of his previous efforts on the IMDB site and it looks like he has put out lots of mediocre stuff.  A younger version of Ed Wood?
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Offline Dakota Dan from OZ

• Top Active Citizen
  • The Legend Lives On
  • Liked:
"Hell To Pay"
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 08:56:46 PM »
I have a copy Downunder.

Watched it and thought it was middle of the road or 'B' western seen better, then a mate lent me Gone With The West with James Caan and Stefanie Powers.

I would rather watch Hell to Pay twice if there was a choice.

Dakota Dan from OZ
My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

Offline Tricky Trina

• Top Active Citizen
  • First Lady of the Fire and Brimstone Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 08:10:26 PM »
There was a thread on the SASS wire similar to this one that a friend of mine started.  It went well for a few days and then people started getting personal with the comments.  The person that started the thread had it pulled because people were taking it all WAY to personal.  I'd hate to see that happen here, but I think everyone here gets along better than they do "over there." 
I have to agree with ADS about the movie.
Evil Roy started another thread about the movie on the SASS wire - go check it out......
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

jiminy criquet

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 01:19:01 AM »
That's the one they've been pimping in the Chronicle, eh.  You might want to hold on to it, as it may become a cult classic for it's badness...sort of a western version of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

Or get some friends together, drink some adult beverages, turn the sound down, and do your own version of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' with it.

Offline Pukin Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 02:14:48 PM »
the only problem with that is that its not as badly done as "Plan 9".  Its pretty darn poor but not enough to make you laugh at the "badness".  As far as I'm concerned, if you don't know the SASS pards, there isn't much reason to waste 2 hours of your life on this flick.
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com