Author Topic: Rubber Grips No Eagle - Fits Early 3rd Gen?  (Read 2414 times)

Offline pawneefork

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rubber Grips No Eagle - Fits Early 3rd Gen?
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
As much as I like the eagle style grips on my new SAA, I'm also fond of the style that has the rampant colt but no eagle.  I see variatons of this grip for sale here and there (Midway, out of stock) and wonder if they're 'drop-on' to 3rd gen grip frames.  I know that's dumb because nothing about an SAA is truly drop-on, but close would be close enough.  Anyone know?  And does anyone know of a reliable source for a pair?

I was in the mood and market for an SAA after years and years of not owning one, and was just about to drop close to two grand for a current production piece on Gunbroker (seems like there are none around and the ones that are go for scalper prices), when it occurred to me to call a local store I sometimes buy from.  They had a NIB 1979 SAA, 7.5" .45 Colt, not a mark on it, no turn line, woodgrain box, booklet still taped in place... I asked how much, thinking it would be way up there and he said $1200.  I got a bonus this week and decided to go for it. If I had to, I'm sure I could get the money back, but I want to TRY to hold on to it.  The serial number is a nice early version font -- not tiny -- an SA leading in the 13,000 range.  I felt lucky. I just put some Renaissance wax on it and was wondering if I should buff the frame super gently -- the case colors are surprisingly vivid and I want to keep them that way.  Anyway, if y'all know about the eaglee-free grops, I'd appreciate some info. Thanks!

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rubber Grips No Eagle - Fits Early 3rd Gen?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
Dixie gun used to have them about $30

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »
Colt grips are ground on the frame and then stay with that gun until finished.  Thus, each and every one is slightly different and it is HIGHLY unlikely that any grip, Colt or aftermarket, will be a "drop-in" fit.  If it did, it would be pure accident.  Colt SAA grips are always oversize and need to be fitted.  I also like the Colt grips without the eagle.  Some 1st Gens came without them and the early 2nd Gens didn't have them.  The eagle grips are thicker and don't feel as good to me.  Especially, since I shoot the duelist category and have small hands.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:22 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com