Author Topic: This explains it! My affinity to the Remington cartridge conversions!  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Most here do not know that my father (who was born in 1913), his mother was a Cody, and in fact was a first cousin to William F "Buffalo Bill" Cody.  The family had extensive photos of Buffalo Bill in the photo album that my father loved look at, but when his mother died, a family member commandeered it, never to be seen again.

Well, I have always had an affinity to Remington cartridge conversions.  Sort of a love-hate relationship.  I love the guns and their style, but hate the knuckle busting of the trigger guard with smokeless.  Because of this odd relationship, I have passed through any number of Remington conversions through the last 20 years.  I thought it was because when I started in SASS in 1994, I had an opportunity to handle an original NMA in .46 Rimfire.  I suspect, however, there is a more serious reason....

Today I discovered (while reading Adler's book on conversions) that none other than Buffalo Bill used the Remington New Model Army conversion as a scout for the Army in 1872, when received the Medal of Honor!  He said it was his favorite revolver, and never failed him.  That would explain it all!  It is genetic.  I can't fight it!  Now I really need to research if he had a .46 rimfire (which the Army was issuing from 1869 until 1874), or one chambered for the .44 Martin cartridge.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: This explains it! My affinity to the Remington cartridge conversions!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:26 AM »
That's some fascinating family history. Thanks for sharing that.

It looks like you'll need one in the same caliber that Buffalo Bill had. Are there any photos so you can get the grips and overall look correct?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com