Author Topic: 1858 'Brasser' conversion  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1858 'Brasser' conversion
« on: March 28, 2019, 12:46:44 AM »
A few weeks ago someone handed me an 1858 Brass-frame Remington kit (Thank you Don!) All the bits were as-cast, the barrel wasn't secured and a couple of screws were missing.

I spent some time mulling over what to do with it and decided to go a little 'out there.' I turned the barrel down to round, cut and crowned it at 3-1/4", then removed the loading-lever and cut back the front of the frame. I bored a chunk of brass for the barrel and a long cylinder-pin I made, then made a steel plug that fit the loading-lever plunger hole and mounted it to the brass piece with a screw. I mounted and gapped the barrel, then silver-soldered the brass extension on over the barrel. Once that was done I shaped it to match the frame. I also silver-soldered an extension on the grip-frame and cut a 'pinky-notch' in the front of the frame.

I also brought the frame to a proper finish, mostly using increasing grits of wet-dry sandpaper.

I made a set of Spalted Maple grips, then went to work on the mechanism. The hand was some kind of trash metal and was chewed up, so I replaced it with a new one fabricated from 5160 spring-steel. I also needed to replace the mainspring with a stronger one. I had a cylinder for a .44 Colt conversion on-hand, so I made a new breech-plate with a rebounding firing-pin and timed it so that it can be swapped in to replace the percussion cylinder. I didn't cut a reloading port; either cylinder must be removed for reloading. With the cartridge cylinder the cylinder pin can be used to punch out the empties. The breech-plate for the cartridge cylinder follows the contour of the blast-shield, allowing you to easily determine if the cylinder is loaded.

I made and mounted a new front-sight, and the gun was essentially complete.

The screw in front of the cylinder can be turned 180 degrees with my fingers, which releases the cylinder pin and allows removal of the cylinder. It's labelled 'L' for locked and 'U' for unlocked.

As part of a previous deal I had been given a glass-topped case for a n 1858, so I stripped the interior and fitted it to hold the gun, the extra cylinder and some accessories. I made a cover-piece to fit inside the glass and hold everything securely in place. The interior is lined in green felt.

The tools include a cleaning-rod, a screw-driver, a ball-setting tool and a bespoke powder flask that throws the correct charge for this revolver. There is room for a tin of percussion-caps, balls and wads as well as fifteen rounds of .44 Colt ammunition.

The rear-sight trough is deep and wide, and actually provides an excellent sight picture for a gun of this type. The gun is very comfortable for my hand and the gun points quite naturally. I'm really looking forward to getting this to the range and shooting it, both as a percussion gun and with cartridges. It will be interesting to see if it hits anywhere near point of aim...

Oh, for display purposes the internal cover can be removed so that the gun can be seen through the glass.

This is one of my more elaborate builds, and I am quite happy with the way it has come out.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 126
Re: 1858 'Brasser' conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »

I don't personally like Remington(s).  They bark my finger something awful.  However ....... THAT is a really NEAT Remington!!  NIFTIEST barrel/frame treatment I have seen.  BRAVO!!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:25:00 AM »
Well, that sounds like it was a lot of fun to do. Very nice attention to detail. I like the cylinder pin locking screw. That would be a nice mod for almost any shorty pistol. It makes a fine piece. What's next? A steel-frame version?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:33:50 AM »

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:44:09 PM »
Well, that sounds like it was a lot of fun to do. Very nice attention to detail. I like the cylinder pin locking screw. That would be a nice mod for almost any shorty pistol. It makes a fine piece. What's next? A steel-frame version?

Actually a Pietta/Colt 1851 cartridge conversion is next- not sure of the details; it will be my first .38 Colt conversion.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Well, then, post pictures when you do. I converted one of those Pietta 1851 .44's. I know there never was such a thing, but I wanted a .45 and really like the 1851 feel and look better than the 1860 Army. It came out fine but needs a whole lot higher front sight for it. I may make one out of a +-1875 dime or an equivalent Mexican coin (but I am not familiar with those).

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »
I also did a Pietta 1851 in .44 for the same reasons.    I liked the 44 1851, but did worry a bit about smokeless ammo in it. After a bit, it seemed to loosen a tad. Let it go in exchange for a Uberti 1860 Richards 5.5" Type II in .45.  My 5.5" 1860 Richards will be paired with a Kirst Konverted 1858 Pietta.  I know from experience that Pietta 1858s handle conversion cylinders perfectly well.  I have used both Kirst and R&D cylinders in 1858s.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:49:14 AM »
I did an 1851/.44 for my second conversion. I used a Kirst Gated .45 Schofield conversion on that one, and reshaped the barrel in an 'avenging angel' style. I mostly shoot .45 CS in it these days, and have it paired with a single-shot .45 Derringer (the first gun I ever made from scratch.)  These days I shoot .450 Adams through the derringer; much more comfortable than the .45 ACP it was originally made for!

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
That's a nice Avenging Angel, Tinker.

Damn, TL. That looks familiar. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com