Author Topic: Size of the Remington Navy  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Size of the Remington Navy
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:22:59 PM »
There have been questions occasionally about the size of the Remington Navy, and since I am working on an original Beals factory conversion for a pard, I photographed the Beals conversion cylinder with a Kirst made for the Uberti.  (Uberti and Pietta currently use their 44 frames for the Navy).

There is quite a size difference, the Remington Navy cylinder is 1.495 inches, the Kirst 36 cylinder is 1.615 in diameter.  Now, the Kirst is a bit larger than the cap & ball cylinder, but not by enough to prevent fitting in the frame window.

I remember handling original Remington Navies, and they were indeed smaller guns than the Armies.

Beals in the middle

One of each

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Size of the Remington Navy
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
Howdy Flint,

That's some interesting info about the Rem Navy.

I've  heard that the Armi San Paolo/Euroarms Rem Navy is the smallest of the Rem Navy replicas, and pretty close to the size of the original Navies. I have an older Armi San Paolo Rem Navy, and after reading your post , I got it out and measured the percussion cylinder (I don't have a conversion cyl. for it) ,...it's 1.608" dia.,....making it closer in size to the Kirst.

That's interesting,...maybe it's just the gripframe on the ASPs that makes them feel similar in size to the originals.
It's great that you have an oportunity to handle, check out and measure an original....

Thanks for sharing that info ,...and the photos are great!  ;D

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:23:48 AM »
I have 5 ASP remmies. Two are 36s from the 1970s. The frames on all of them are the same (not measured but deeply eyeballed together). The ASPs have lighter frames (less meat) and smaller grips giving them the feel of being a smaller gun. That's my take. I still love 'em.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:44:54 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk