Author Topic: Bulking up the library  (Read 3736 times)

Offline mustanggt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bulking up the library
« on: June 15, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
Beautiful weather with a vacation on the beach in the future I have gone over board with buying books but they will get read. I down loaded them to my Nook. I used to think I'd never buy one of those things. I'm old school and wanted to have the real thing in my hand instead of something that could break if dropped. My wife got me one several years ago and can't be more happier with it. Carry my whole library in my hand. It's so nice to be able to at a touch go from one book to another, from one that is losing my interest to one I know will hold my attention. I ordered the following:

The Last Gunfight by Jeff Guinn
The Texas Rangers by Mike Cox
A Terrible Glory Custer and the Little Bighorn by James Donovan
The Indian Frontier 1846-1890 by Robert Utley
Buffalo Stampede by Zane Grey
Butchery of the Mountain Man, Ordeal of the Mountain Man and Fourty Times a Killer by William W. Johnstone
Comanche Moon by Larry McMurtry

I think I'll be busy for awhile. I read a lot of Louis Lamour years ago and a few Longarm books but never Zane Grey or Johnstone. I've heard a lot of virtue being bestowed upon Robert Utley and Larry McMurtry by you folks so I look forward to those as well. Well what do you folks think of these selections. I hope there isn't a stinker in there but chances are there may be.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bulking up the library
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:49:36 AM »
One man's stinker is another man's classic. Hope you enjoy them all.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
I have read the first three on your list and found them excellent.  I have alse never read anything by Robert Utley that wasn't good.  I'm afraid that, even though I keep trying, I haven't found much that Zane Grey has written that I enjoyed.  I'm sure that you can find many free books written by him at archive.org.  I haven't read the Johnstone book, but I bet it's good.  I did read Commanche Moon and found that, once again, I don't really like Mcurtry's writing (heresy, I know).

With my e-reader, I look for out of print books that can be downloaded for free.  There are some excellent examples at http://www.texasranger.org/E-Books/E-Books.html.  Also check https://archive.org/ and http://www.gutenberg.org/.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:37:27 AM »

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:32:40 AM »
Howdy pard,

I too love my Nook, my wife got hers first due to artrithus she was having troubles with her hands and "real" books. Then we goot me one a couple of months later. Love it, just had my Nook Color replaced under extended warrenty with a Nook Hd, miss my Nook color due to features.

As to free books, B&N has free book Friday where they give away free ebooks, apps and movies. Also if you search free nook books at www.bn.com you will find 100,000's to down load. I have found a bunch of gems in there. A lot is a matter of filtering. Need help with trinks let me know and I will post some more.
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com