Author Topic: Most Underrated Westerns  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
Most Underrated Westerns
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:31:53 PM »
I was going to put this under the “Favorite Western” thread, but I don’t want to get mired in politics and my favorite western is probably not in this list anyway.  While they may not be my favorites, I think these are great movies and vastly underrated.

I’m speaking of the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott westerns of the ‘50s.  Most of them are virtually unknown these days, although students of directing in general and westerns in particular will be familiar with them.  Boetticher is counted by many great film directors as one of the best.  Some credit him with teaching them all they know (Leone said that).  Scorcece holds Boetticher as one of the best.  The list goes on.

These films are on the short side, but you don’t really notice when you watch them—there is a lot packed into the time.  I think the term “spare” is often used, meaning that every shot counts for something and there is no “padding”.  The camera angles and editing lend to the suspense and excitement.  Scott pretty much plays the same character, but he had it down solid.  There is often humor mixed in with the action to make the films even more enjoyable.  If you get a chance, check them out.  Check out the guest stars too.

My favorite of them is probably “Seven Men from Now”, with Gail Russell and Lee Marvin.  I also have “The Tall T” (based on an Elmore Leonard story) with Richard Boone; “Decision at Sundown” with Noah Beery, Jr.; “Buchanan Rides Alone”, with L.Q. Jones; “Ride Lonesome” with James Coburn, Pernell Roberts and Lee Van Cleef and “Comanche Station” with Claude Akins.

These are great films.  You owe it to yourself to check them out if you haven’t seen them or watch them again if you have.

Does anyone else have suggestions for "most underrated western"?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Most Underrated Westerns
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »
I have seen every one of those westerns on ENCORE westerns on my AT&T Uverse cable. They were all very good westerns.

Bill

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:37:26 PM »
Any Western with Randolph Scott in it is good.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:49:22 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:56:21 PM »
That makes me think of a scene from "Blazing Saddles"!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
I watched "Seven Men from Now" again last night.  Wow, that's a great movie.  The last 10 minutes are the best—suspenseful and with great camera angles.  Gail Russell is lovely, although I can't help but think of her tragic life when I watch her act.  I seem to see sorrow in her eyes.  Lee Marvin is excellent as a cold-hearted killer. [SPOILER ALERT!]  When he shoots his partner, then takes the cigarette out of the partner’s mouth to light his own is just classic.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline El Tio Loco

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »
CC Griff,  
  Because of your review of "Seven Men from Now" I checked it out through Netflix.  I am a little embarrassed that I have never seen that movie.  It was GREAT! 

They really new how to use the elements in that movie.  The rain in the opening scene makes you want to go and put your slicker on, and  I agree with what you said about the sadness in the eyes of Gail Russell.  Tragic life for sure.

IMDB said that John Wayne was offered the role of Ben Stride, but because of scheduling issues they gave the role to Randolph Scott.  I am sure John Wayne would have done a great job but Randolph Scott nailed it.

Ken

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »
My grandmother clearly had a thing for Scott.  She would hush everyone up and sit fixated if he came on.  I agree, his westerns are great stuff. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:40:54 AM »
Ken:

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.  I agree with your assessment.  It was a Batjac production, which was John Wayne's production company.  I understand that he suggested Gail Russell (his co-star from Angel and the Badman) since she was having trouble finding work due to her alcohol problem.  The crew was impressed with her hard work on the film, typified by falling face down in cold muddy water for one scene when they had simply suggested that she get wet.

Mean Bob Mean:

My grandmother always said that Randolph Scott reminded her of her father.  I wish she was still around so I could ask her in what way...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com