Author Topic: Best Horsey movie  (Read 10340 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best Horsey movie
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
Since we're all 'Cowboys' and/or 'Soldiers' here, let's leave out the thoroughbred race horse stories. What are the best horse movies ever?
I'll nominate two for the running:

Hidalgo (the horse was the star)
War Horse

The latter is a little late for our eras, but horse have long been a weapon of war right up to WW II.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
Re: Best Horsey movie
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:44:19 AM »
I will nominate Bite the Bullet.  Hackman, Coburn, Ben Johnson, and the Irish Guy from Waking Ned Devine (played the british lord). Also a little late as it takes place after the Spanish American War, but the scene with Ben Johnson and Hackman, that was Oscar worthy. "Mister, I don't even know your name"  Gives me goosebumps.  The scene where the Brit has to euthenize his horse, just gut wrenching. 

2nd, while not a western.  If you can find the Black Beauty mini-series from the late 70s.  Excellent as well. 

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
I'll second 'Bite The Bullet'. I forgot about that one.

Like 'Hidalgo', it featured the developing relationships between the riders and the common love they felt for their horses. I really love stories about animals and people that simply won't quit, where courage and honour matter more than life itself.

Gives me something to aspire to, although I dislike living life vicariously through movies and TV. In my marathon running days, there was a motivational guru (?) whose book and shows on PBS were inspirational to me. His message -

"Become your own hero. Forget about what the big boys are doing. You know what is an achievement for you. Do it."
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:57:28 PM »

Offline Durango Flinthart

• Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
 "In Pursuit of Honor" with Don Johnson is another good horse movie, even later than "Bite the Bullet"
 it takes place between WWI & WWII

PJ was the Guru Leo Buscalia?

Watch your topknot
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
Another nod for "In Pursuit of Honour", especially since it was based on actual events. The machinegunning of loyal horses who had become redundant was criminal.
Deserting with Army horses was an act of honour, the general public in sympathetic agreement. I would have been surprised had the RCMP turned them back. At that time, the force still had some honour and all members were horse qualified as part of their basic training.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
"In Pursuit of Honor" with Don Johnson is another good horse movie, even later than "Bite the Bullet"
 it takes place between WWI & WWII

PJ was the Guru Leo Buscalia?

Watch your topknot

I enjoyed the opening scene in this there was some good horsemanship in it also.
Mathew 5.9

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
I wrote a Cowboy poem called "Trooper" that got published in the SASS newsletter a few years back. It was about an old ex-Cavalry horse that responded to a bugle being blown by a Cowboy. "Trooper" came running when he heard the first notes.
An old Indian Cowboy knew why and began to chant his war cry cry, celebrating the old days when he fought against the Horse Soldiers. Another Cowboy had worn Confederate grey and also recognized the old soldier for what he was.

I might dig it out and post it here .....

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
I nominate "Ulzana's Raid." It has the inevitable young lieutenant just out from West point who the equally inevitable Old Scout (Burt Lancaster) has to take in hand during an Apache rampage. They leave the fort in pursuit of the vicious Ulzana and the first lesson the Lt. has to learn is that, in Apache country, it's all about horses. Too often in movies horses are treated like machines that never get tired or hungry or thirsty. Not in this one. After finding a massacred settler family the lieutenant wants to know if they can catch up with the Apaches before they reach the next ranch. The scout tells him they could, but by the time they arrived, their horses will be worn out and the Apaches will be on fresh remounts from the ranch. So they have to let that ranch get the Apache treatment while they let their horses rest and recuperate, in hopes of catching the Apaches before they get to another ranch down the valley. Likewise, the scout explains, Ulzana has horse problems, too. Can he keep finding fresh horses for his men? Apaches tend to ride horses to death and then steal new ones. If he can't, his men will leave and go home because they are not any sort of disciplined army and will only follow a man as long as he leads them to excitement and loot.  This was one of the best, most realistic Indian-fighting and "horsiest" of the Hollywood films.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
Lancaster didn't finish the definition of the Apache attitude towards horses .....

other rmovies have said that they regarded a horse as a 'mobile food supply'; riding it until it drops and then eating it. US Cavalrymen weren't big on doing that and their pampered horses needed a daily ration of oats beyond grass, if there was any to be had.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
Lancaster didn't finish the definition of the Apache attitude towards horses .....

other rmovies have said that they regarded a horse as a 'mobile food supply'; riding it until it drops and then eating it. US Cavalrymen weren't big on doing that and their pampered horses needed a daily ration of oats beyond grass, if there was any to be had.

In Geronimo and Lonesome Dove both they make reference to the Apache eating their horses.  Times have changed in Hollyweird
Mathew 5.9

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
Actually, the Apache style was explained by John Wayne way back in "Hondo." He said something like: "A white man will ride a horse till it can't go on and leave it. Apache'll take that horse, make it go another 50 miles till it drops dead, then eat it."

Also, in "Ulzana'ds Raid" Burt explains that in the Southwest, all travel is "from water to water." They have to find water by the end of each day, not for the men who can go for days on a canteen, but for the horses.

Offline Maverick23

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
I was always partial to "The Man from Snowy River". Even though the whole love story thing kinda gets in the way. I thought it portrayed very well the relationship between a man and his horse. And the fact that Man can place his dominance over such a wild creature. There is something truly human about that.

Also liked Kirk Douglas' roles in the movie. He had me more entertained than anyone else in the picture.

Sincerely,
Maverick23

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
I'd forgotten about that one. Douglas was also wonderful in the very sad "Lonely Are the Brave," about a traditional cowboy who can't get along in the mid-20th century. After a jailbreak he regains his horse, but when he could escape he refuses to abandon his horse and as a result both he and the horse are killed. Not a movie to watch if you're feeling depressed.

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
Another sappy love story gets in the way but there was some good looking horseflesh in All the pretty horses. Except for the ones mentioned I can't think of any other westerns where the horse was the main story, hell even the Hell Bitch in Lonesome Dove didnt really get to shine like she did in the novel. Horses were always just the transportation it seems.
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
I nominate "Ulzana's Raid." It has the inevitable young lieutenant just out from West point who the equally inevitable Old Scout (Burt Lancaster) has to take in hand during an Apache rampage. They leave the fort in pursuit of the vicious Ulzana and the first lesson the Lt. has to learn is that, in Apache country, it's all about horses. Too often in movies horses are treated like machines that never get tired or hungry or thirsty. Not in this one. After finding a massacred settler family the lieutenant wants to know if they can catch up with the Apaches before they reach the next ranch. The scout tells him they could, but by the time they arrived, their horses will be worn out and the Apaches will be on fresh remounts from the ranch. So they have to let that ranch get the Apache treatment while they let their horses rest and recuperate, in hopes of catching the Apaches before they get to another ranch down the valley. Likewise, the scout explains, Ulzana has horse problems, too. Can he keep finding fresh horses for his men? Apaches tend to ride horses to death and then steal new ones. If he can't, his men will leave and go home because they are not any sort of disciplined army and will only follow a man as long as he leads them to excitement and loot.  This was one of the best, most realistic Indian-fighting and "horsiest" of the Hollywood films.

I agree with you about the movie being great movie, horses and all.

The best thing about the movie was Lancaster getting killed at the end. Lancaster was one of the most leftist-Liberal actors in Hollywood.

Those of us that were born in the west, on Ranches, understand about horses their use and care. 

One thing about Western movies that has always bothered me, is in scenes where they have a stage coach and horses moving, is that the horses are always being ran at a gallop. That didn't happen in real life anywhere, unless the stage coach was running from something.

And, scenes where horses and cattle are being  rounded up, or moved a distance, they always show the animals being ran. When you run cattle, you're running the flesh off of a food animal. That isn't very profitable, or very probable.

Bill

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Hi,

I watched "The Lighthorseman" and thy spent some time on the picketing and watering of the horses ... something I always wondered about ....

TTFN
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Badguybuster

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 03:50:40 PM »
I second the "Hildago" vote

Offline Russ McCrae

• Hat Creek Cattle Co., Front Porch Division
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »
Not a movie, but since we're talking about horses and men ;) 8) ;D

[youtube]5kEHumvuwKY[/youtube]
"What's Good For Me Ain't Necessarily Good For the Weak Minded"

"I'm an admirer of good sense wherever I find it."

SASS #93813
STORM #335

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
Another for Hidalgo. The horse stole the show!

Not Cowboy, but I enjoyed "War Horse".

I second the "Hildago" vote

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 04:25:22 PM »
My top three were all named:  In Pursuit of Honor, Hidalgo, and Bite the Bullet although I am sure there is at least one I am forgetting.  

Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com